Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I noticed that the keyboard backlight illumination on commonly used keys (e,i,o,m,t,etc) of my 2018 Macbook Pro keyboard (replaced with a 2019 keyboard) is significantly brighter than the other keys on the keyboard. It is very obvious that certain keys are lit up more than other keys. After opening the key cap and comparing the brighter keys vs the non brighter keys, I noticed that the reason for the brighter illumination on the commonly used keys is due to the black sticker in the keyboard casing. Under the normally functioning keys, the black sticker is not torn, whereas in the commonly used key, the black sticker is torn which allows more light to pass and hence makes the key illuminate significantly brighter. The keyboard was recently replaced in August so it is barely over a month old. This has occured after 5 major repairs (2 keyboard replacements, 1 display replacement because they dented my screen during a keyboard repair, back panel replacement because they scratched the panel during the screen repair).

Has anyone had a similar issue and have gotten the keyboard replaced by apple as a result of this? Did the genius see this as a common problem with the keyboard or did they give you any trouble when trying to get it replaced?

Thanks in advance!

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I haven’t had my keys replaced by Apple but I have noticed this on my laptop, but more with the wider keys (caps lock, shift, command). The backlight on the beginning and ending letters on those keys aren’t as bright as the middle. I was initially surprised by this because of Apple’s history of attention to detail, but also because I recall them mentioning that the backlight was improved with the new butterfly keyboard. It’s a shame someone at Apple didn’t sweat the smaller details like this.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I haven’t had my keys replaced by Apple but I have noticed this on my laptop, but more with the wider keys (caps lock, shift, command). The backlight on the beginning and ending letters on those keys aren’t as bright as the middle. I was initially surprised by this because of Apple’s history of attention to detail, but also because I recall them mentioning that the backlight was improved with the new butterfly keyboard. It’s a shame someone at Apple didn’t sweat the smaller details like this.
Thanks for the reply but my issue is different than what u mentioned. The issue u mentioned seems to be present on all new MacBooks. My issue is the E key would be significantly brighter than the W and R key next to it.

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
This issue is caued by the "tape" that covers the LED under the keycaps that basically comes off over time on more used keys. Also the dome switch appears to have 'cracks' in the dome switch cover paint. Yeah, the butterfly keyboard is still trash as usual.

Source: my vast amount of keyboard failures across 4x 2018 MacBook Pros, with 7 keyboard failures (1 was a 2019 keyboard in it); and I'd pull a keycap to see if there were any issues that could have caused the duplicating keys. They gave me a 2019 core i9 MacBook after that, and I just got super lucky with this keyboard so far. Paint has already started chipping off a couple keys, but no duplicates yet.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
This issue is caued by the "tape" that covers the LED under the keycaps that basically comes off over time on more used keys. Also the dome switch appears to have 'cracks' in the dome switch cover paint. Yeah, the butterfly keyboard is still trash as usual.

Source: my vast amount of keyboard failures across 4x 2018 MacBook Pros, with 7 keyboard failures (1 was a 2019 keyboard in it); and I'd pull a keycap to see if there were any issues that could have caused the duplicating keys. They gave me a 2019 core i9 MacBook after that, and I just got super lucky with this keyboard so far. Paint has already started chipping off a couple keys, but no duplicates yet.
Did you have a base model and they replaced it with an i9?

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
Did you have a base model and they replaced it with an i9?
I had the i7 2.6 base and they replaced it with the 2.3 i9 base, since it was the direct successor in terms of price being exactly the same. The 2.3 8 core i9 runs cooler which is the funny thing. Maybe that's why i'm not getting all the duplicate keypresses like I did on the 2018s.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I had the i7 2.6 base and they replaced it with the 2.3 i9 base, since it was the direct successor in terms of price being exactly the same. The 2.3 8 core i9 runs cooler which is the funny thing. Maybe that's why i'm not getting all the duplicate keypresses like I did on the 2018s.
Lol I’m waiting till the new 16 inch comes out and hopefully they bump me up to that or give me the option to make up the difference to move up to the 16 inch.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
if they replace your current laptop with a brand new one, do you have to give them anything else back like the box or the charger of your old laptop? Also, if they give you a new laptop, theoretically, could you return the unopened laptop for store credit?

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
if they replace your current laptop with a brand new one, do you have to give them anything else back like the box or the charger of your old laptop? Also, if they give you a new laptop, theoretically, could you return the unopened laptop for store credit?
Nope, and that's why I have 4 chargers now lol. I don't know if I could return it or not.

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
and you got to keep the new box too?
yep, I kept the boxes too. I got to keep everything mainly because I did mail in repair for 3 of the replacements. The first time I got a replacement, I didn't keep anything because it was at an Apple Store, but after that they were all mail in or they "captured" it during repair.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
yep, I kept the boxes too. I got to keep everything mainly because I did mail in repair for 3 of the replacements. The first time I got a replacement, I didn't keep anything because it was at an Apple Store, but after that they were all mail in or they "captured" it during repair.
Wait I thought they only offer the device replacement from a genius manager in store. Could you explain your entire process a bit then? So you mailed it to them for a replacement, they somehow notified u saying a repair is needed, then you asked for a manager on the phone and they offered u device replacement and shipped the entire thing to you?

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
Wait I thought they only offer the device replacement from a genius manager in store. Could you explain your entire process a bit then? So you mailed it to them for a replacement, they somehow notified u saying a repair is needed, then you asked for a manager on the phone and they offered u device replacement and shipped the entire thing to you?
Senior advisors for AppleCare actually have more power than the Apple Store. They can either force a store to replace the device or even setup a mail in replacement. I would send in the MacBook with the broken keyboard and they'd send me the new device once they received it.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Senior advisors for AppleCare actually have more power than the Apple Store. They can either force a store to replace the device or even setup a mail in replacement. I would send in the MacBook with the broken keyboard and they'd send me the new device once they received it.

I wonder if they would allow "returns" with store credit. I had 4 repairs on my 2017 keyboard and they said they will replace it but i declined and decided to stick with my half illuminated keyboard because ive had SO many issues with it (sticky keys, getting keyboard replaced with more faulty keys, USB C issues, etc). I asked if I can get an IMAC but realized its much cheaper and the 27 inch wont fit on my desk -- and they didnt hesitate to give me that instead. I wonder if I asked for a store credit for the upcoming 16" that will supposedly have scissor keys

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I wonder if they would allow "returns" with store credit. I had 4 repairs on my 2017 keyboard and they said they will replace it but i declined and decided to stick with my half illuminated keyboard because ive had SO many issues with it (sticky keys, getting keyboard replaced with more faulty keys, USB C issues, etc). I asked if I can get an IMAC but realized its much cheaper and the 27 inch wont fit on my desk -- and they didnt hesitate to give me that instead. I wonder if I asked for a store credit for the upcoming 16" that will supposedly have scissor keys

Store credit for the same value of the replacement they were going to give you seems fair. If not store credit then the opportunity to make up the difference for an upgrade is fair but not sure if they can just swap for a different line of product. I guess if they did it for you for an iMac then it must be possible.

Reactions: seeforyourself

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Store credit for the same value of the replacement they were going to give you seems fair. If not store credit then the opportunity to make up the difference for an upgrade is fair but not sure if they can just swap for a different line of product. I guess if they did it for you for an iMac then it must be possible.

hopefully. I will wait until later this month and see if they release the 16” with the good ol’ fashion reliable scissor keyboard

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Just spoke with an Apple Senior advisor who directed me to customer relations...told him my situation of having so many repairs done on the device and he was very understanding. Told me to wait a while and came back saying that in his head, he was hoping to get me a device replacement, but apparently with the extended warranty program apple has, the best he can do is just have the device keyboard replaced a bunch of times. With you having gone through the replacement process so many times, do you know how I could get them to do a device replacement for my laptop? Its currently had 4 major repairs (2 keyboard, 1 display cause they damaged during keyboard repair, 1 back plate cause they damaged during keyboard repair), with the current keyboard needing to be replaced. Any insight is appreciated! thanks in advance!

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
Just spoke with an Apple Senior advisor who directed me to customer relations...told him my situation of having so many repairs done on the device and he was very understanding. Told me to wait a while and came back saying that in his head, he was hoping to get me a device replacement, but apparently with the extended warranty program apple has, the best he can do is just have the device keyboard replaced a bunch of times. With you having gone through the replacement process so many times, do you know how I could get them to do a device replacement for my laptop? Its currently had 4 major repairs (2 keyboard, 1 display cause they damaged during keyboard repair, 1 back plate cause they damaged during keyboard repair), with the current keyboard needing to be replaced. Any insight is appreciated! thanks in advance!
3 or major repairs means DEMAND A REPLACEMENT. You're supposed to get a CRU after THREE repairs. If your senior advisor won't help you, keep trying to find one who will help you.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
3 or major repairs means DEMAND A REPLACEMENT. You're supposed to get a CRU after THREE repairs. If your senior advisor won't help you, keep trying to find one who will help you.

Thanks for your response!

Just took it in store today and unfortunately the "apple engineer"? (or whoever makes the decision on device replacements) wasnt in during the time i was there so they said they'll give me a call back tomorrow. hoping for the best. if not, do you think i should go to a different apple store and demand a device replacement? if so, do you think they'll see that i was rejected for a replacement from a previous "apple engineer" and not bother to deal with me? ill probably still go cause theres no loss in doing so, but just not sure how to respond when they ask "didn't you bring this to a different apple store and they said no".

Also, whats a CRU? i think i will take your advice and keep going to different apple stores and asking for different advisors until they replace it. its actually ridiculous cause the laptop is barely over a year old and has already had 4 major issues plus one current on the way.

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
Thanks for your response!

Just took it in store today and unfortunately the "apple engineer"? (or whoever makes the decision on device replacements) wasnt in during the time i was there so they said they'll give me a call back tomorrow. hoping for the best. if not, do you think i should go to a different apple store and demand a device replacement? if so, do you think they'll see that i was rejected for a replacement from a previous "apple engineer" and not bother to deal with me? ill probably still go cause theres no loss in doing so, but just not sure how to respond when they ask "didn't you bring this to a different apple store and they said no".

Also, whats a CRU? i think i will take your advice and keep going to different apple stores and asking for different advisors until they replace it. its actually ridiculous cause the laptop is barely over a year old and has already had 4 major issues plus one current on the way.
I'd suggest staying away from Apple Stores. I've had bad luck getting a replacement there. CRU means customer replacement unit. I would just keep trying to get a senior advisor over the phone who is sympathetic to your issues.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I'd suggest staying away from Apple Stores. I've had bad luck getting a replacement there. CRU means customer replacement unit. I would just keep trying to get a senior advisor over the phone who is sympathetic to your issues.
so the situation when i called was that i was directed to a senior advisor, and immediately after looking at my files repair history, the senior advisor connected me with a customer relations person. that person was very understanding and after listening to my story, told me that he was trying to push for a replacement unit for me. unfortunately he said he couldnt because of the extended warranty on the keyboards, so apple would rather continue to fix the keyboard an unlimited amount of times rather than give a new unit.

given that i was already speaking with a customer relations person who was actually trying to help me out, do you think maybe theres a new policy that says they should stop replacing macbooks? also, do you think theres any use in talking to a different customer relations rep given how the first one was already trying to help me? any tips on what i should do now? really annoyed with how many times ive had to go back and forth to the apple store and be without a laptop during a repair within the past year...

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
so the situation when i called was that i was directed to a senior advisor, and immediately after looking at my files repair history, the senior advisor connected me with a customer relations person. that person was very understanding and after listening to my story, told me that he was trying to push for a replacement unit for me. unfortunately he said he couldnt because of the extended warranty on the keyboards, so apple would rather continue to fix the keyboard an unlimited amount of times rather than give a new unit.

given that i was already speaking with a customer relations person who was actually trying to help me out, do you think maybe theres a new policy that says they should stop replacing macbooks? also, do you think theres any use in talking to a different customer relations rep given how the first one was already trying to help me? any tips on what i should do now? really annoyed with how many times ive had to go back and forth to the apple store and be without a laptop during a repair within the past year...
They probably are hesitant at the moment due to the 16" being released only recently. They're supposed to replace the machine after 3 times, no matter what in most experiences.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
They probably are hesitant at the moment due to the 16" being released only recently. They're supposed to replace the machine after 3 times, no matter what in most experiences.
I'm not sure how I could push further if the customer relations person said their policy doesn't allow it :(
Maybe say that even for cars, 3 repairs on the same issue results in a lemon law buyback so they should honor the same for the macbook? What other points could be made to sway them to replace it?

Anyway, they eventually forced me to do another keyboard repair. I'll give them one more chance but I won't be surprised if the new replacement keyboard will have issues in a few months as well.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
after picking up the laptop from a 5th repair, i noticed that the hinge makes a sound when you open the lid and there is a physical "notch" that you feel when opening. I took it to the store to complain about how they should be responsible since theres a high chance this happened during the repair, as the issue wasn't present when i dropped it off and only happened after pick up. anyway, the technician and eventually the manager gave me a bunch of BS trying to deny all responsibility.

after going around in circles and trying to argue with them and their BS reasons, eventually took the laptop back and called apple care again. luckily an senior apple care representative took care of me and said they'll replace the laptop without any hassle. they'll be replacing my 2018 base model 15 macbook pro for the new 16 inch but also base model. no upgrades to the CPU or GPU unfortunately but still very happy with the outcome.

thanks for your responses and help throughout this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.