Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all, hope well. Question for you;
Is it that the 2019 model MUST have two drives installed to function?
If not can the two internal drives be configured as two separate ones as opposed to some kind of RAID that I assume it is usually?

CanPhantom

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
It doesn't require there to be two (the original base model came with only one), but if the drive you have came as a pair, they're a pair. You can't use just one, and you cannot use them as two separate drives.

Reactions: H2SO4

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
It doesn't require there to be two (the original base model came with only one), but if the drive you have came as a pair, they're a pair. You can't use just one, and you cannot use them as two separate drives.
Ah, that's annoying. Especially as you can't buy the singles now and as the ones from the 2023 don't look compatible.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Why is it annoying❓ You can add multiple PCIe cards and run multiple M.2 SSDs. You can also add an internal cage and run two or three 2.5" SSDs. The 7,1 NcMP is a GREAT machine for expansion👍🏻

Lou

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Ah, that's annoying. Especially as you can't buy the singles now and as the ones from the 2023 don't look compatible.
Maybe stay with your 5,1 instead - 12 RAM slots and masses of PCI-E slots are too restrictive for expansion, obviously.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
^^^^Why is it annoying❓ You can add multiple PCIe cards and run multiple M.2 SSDs. You can also add an internal cage and run two or three 2.5" SSDs. The 7,1 NcMP is a GREAT machine for expansion👍🏻

Lou
Was hoping that the 'real internal', (non pcie), slots would reduce complications for running Windows.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Maybe stay with your 5,1 instead - 12 RAM slots and masses of PCI-E slots are too restrictive for expansion, obviously.
Maybe less sarcasm and more input? Or start your own thread labelled, "Stupid comments that aren't necessary"?

Reactions: Harry Haller

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Was hoping that the 'real internal', (non pcie), slots would reduce complications for running Windows.

I don’t have those ones used, but using PCI-E m2 SSDs is not too bothersome, you just don’t get to use boot camp assistant because it complains about “external” storage and you also need to adjust security settings.

I had two M2 SSDs, one of them had the windows installer and the other was for Windows. This was the quickest way and there is a topic here explaining W11 installation.

Note! If you have a W6800X MPX or similar use the HDMI output for a screen while installing windows or you’ll lose video when rebooting into windows. You need to have the Apple drivers installed for the thunderbolt ports to show video. It can be misconstrued as a system fault when it’s not.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I don’t have those ones used, but using PCI-E m2 SSDs is not too bothersome, you just don’t get to use boot camp assistant because it complains about “external” storage and you also need to adjust security settings.

I had two M2 SSDs, one of them had the windows installer and the other was for Windows. This was the quickest way and there is a topic here explaining W11 installation.

Note! If you have a W6800X MPX or similar use the HDMI output for a screen while installing windows or you’ll lose video when rebooting into windows. You need to have the Apple drivers installed for the thunderbolt ports to show video. It can be misconstrued as a system fault when it’s not.
Thanks for all that, is appreciated. (Not sarcasm).
I saw the thing about Win11 and of course it's likely the best Windows ooption but I don;r like the way Windows update works. I figure that Win10 is still supported though not for too long and is less likely to bork my system with an unplanned, (and unstoppable???), update.
I'm hoping to get the GPU updated at some stage but for now I only have the HDMI option.
Gonna try with a 980Pro. Let you know how it goes.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
That was the fastest install of any OS I've ever had on any machine.
Had the issues of missing ethernet adaptor and no Mac OS boot drives in BootCamp but otherwise pain free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.