Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum today as I’ve come across a serious issue with my MBP. The computer is COMPLETELY UNRESPONSIVE. So here’s the story.

Two days ago I had an automatic update scheduled for the newest batch of updates for Catalina. The update was set to install overnight as usual. Fast forward to later that same night I was using the computer and it was probably around the time the update would have been set to install. The computer had a low charge but I wasn’t paying attention to it as I was preoccupied with something else. The computer shut off randomly and I didn’t think much of it I figured it probably just died I’ll charge it in the morning.

So now its the next day and I open up the computer to charge it and boot it up and at this point forgetting about the update. I plug in the charger and hear the noise that verifies it’s charging. Cool. Now I’m trying to boot up the computer and nothing is happening. I can hear the charging sound whenever I plug the cable in so I know it has power. I searched high and low through trouble shooting and websites for reboot instructions SMC resets and the PRAM reset. I performed all of these key combinations with no luck at all. No display, no disk drive sound, no fans, no lights, nothing but the charging sound. The only way I can tell that it’s turning on and off if is because I have a USB adapter that has a light on it and turns on and off as I try to power it up/down with the power button. So this is telling The usb bus is still powered. Currently I have 2 usb devices plugged in that are powered in an attempt to completely discharge the battery but seems to be taking forever. This computer was functioning completely normally ever since I’ve had it. I’ve never had an issue with it and has always ran perfect. I’ve contacted Apple and went through the same things I had already tried myself. The rep chalked it up to the screen not functioning properly and claimed that I would have to send it in for repair but I really cant understand how that would fix the problem. I also spoke to an independent Apple service center that claimed that my issue sounds software related but until I was able to drop it off, wait potentially over a week for them to look at it and then potentially have to pay an excessive amount of money to fix a software problem that isn’t covered by Apple warranty or Apple care is just too over the top in my opinion.

Can anyone please, please help bring some clarity to the situation before I drive off a cliff because this all really just makes no sense to me and now my only computer is broken for actually no reason other than it just feels like being broken

thank you

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I think you had a problem with the 10.15.4 Supplemental Update and your T2 chip in your MBP. There have been other threads in the forums about the same problems.

The way to fix it is to have Apple or an Authorized Service provider (a problem with the pandemic) fix it or you restore BridgeOS to the T2 chip:

GaryLl

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum today as I’ve come across a serious issue with my MBP. The computer is COMPLETELY UNRESPONSIVE. So here’s the story.

Two days ago I had an automatic update scheduled for the newest batch of updates for Catalina. The update was set to install overnight as usual. Fast forward to later that same night I was using the computer and it was probably around the time the update would have been set to install. The computer had a low charge but I wasn’t paying attention to it as I was preoccupied with something else. The computer shut off randomly and I didn’t think much of it I figured it probably just died I’ll charge it in the morning.

So now its the next day and I open up the computer to charge it and boot it up and at this point forgetting about the update. I plug in the charger and hear the noise that verifies it’s charging. Cool. Now I’m trying to boot up the computer and nothing is happening. I can hear the charging sound whenever I plug the cable in so I know it has power. I searched high and low through trouble shooting and websites for reboot instructions SMC resets and the PRAM reset. I performed all of these key combinations with no luck at all. No display, no disk drive sound, no fans, no lights, nothing but the charging sound. The only way I can tell that it’s turning on and off if is because I have a USB adapter that has a light on it and turns on and off as I try to power it up/down with the power button. So this is telling The usb bus is still powered. Currently I have 2 usb devices plugged in that are powered in an attempt to completely discharge the battery but seems to be taking forever. This computer was functioning completely normally ever since I’ve had it. I’ve never had an issue with it and has always ran perfect. I’ve contacted Apple and went through the same things I had already tried myself. The rep chalked it up to the screen not functioning properly and claimed that I would have to send it in for repair but I really cant understand how that would fix the problem. I also spoke to an independent Apple service center that claimed that my issue sounds software related but until I was able to drop it off, wait potentially over a week for them to look at it and then potentially have to pay an excessive amount of money to fix a software problem that isn’t covered by Apple warranty or Apple care is just too over the top in my opinion.

Can anyone please, please help bring some clarity to the situation before I drive off a cliff because this all really just makes no sense to me and now my only computer is broken for actually no reason other than it just feels like being broken

thank you
Ya I can’t help you but I can verify you are not losing your mind. On April 9,2020 my 2018 MBpro quit working after the same update. I took it to my nearest Apple authorized retailer April 10(not an actual Apple store). Today is April 30 and I still have not got it back. So far they have replaced the logic board, the top half of the main case which includes a new keyboard (because the function key screen would not work) and now they have to replace the power button aka thumb print reader. I think I am getting all 4 USB-C ports replaced as well. The computer was the fastest cpu I could get at the time of purchase, loaded up with RAM i7 processor and 1 TB SSD HD. It was only 15 months old when it quit. Basically the whole computer fried from the update. Thankfully I have AppleCare and I have been told there will be no deductible on this incident. In fact this won’t count as an incident on my AppleCare. It has been 3 weeks since the update bricked my computer. Still waiting for it to get fixed. So far the tech has had to order parts 3 times, because every time they replaced something, they find another component that won’t work or register with the new motherboard/logic board. I expect better things from Apple. It may be the last update I ever install. My son said the update was likely intended to obsolete some computers, now or later. Conspiracy theory. Why don’t they test these updates before this crap happens? Finally, what happens to people without AppleCare ? This laptop cost me over $3000.

salahy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2015
Ya I can’t help you but I can verify you are not losing your mind. On April 9,2020 my 2018 MBpro quit working after the same update. I took it to my nearest Apple authorized retailer April 10(not an actual Apple store). Today is April 30 and I still have not got it back. So far they have replaced the logic board, the top half of the main case which includes a new keyboard (because the function key screen would not work) and now they have to replace the power button aka thumb print reader. I think I am getting all 4 USB-C ports replaced as well. The computer was the fastest cpu I could get at the time of purchase, loaded up with RAM i7 processor and 1 TB SSD HD. It was only 15 months old when it quit. Basically the whole computer fried from the update. Thankfully I have AppleCare and I have been told there will be no deductible on this incident. In fact this won’t count as an incident on my AppleCare. It has been 3 weeks since the update bricked my computer. Still waiting for it to get fixed. So far the tech has had to order parts 3 times, because every time they replaced something, they find another component that won’t work or register with the new motherboard/logic board. I expect better things from Apple. It may be the last update I ever install. My son said the update was likely intended to obsolete some computers, now or later. Conspiracy theory. Why don’t they test these updates before this crap happens? Finally, what happens to people without AppleCare ? This laptop cost me over $3000.
I have the same exact issue, I have the fastest cpu for Macbook pro 2017, I upgraded the ram to 32 GB it cost me 4600$, but guess what, I forgot to renew the apple care, I am not from the US thats why its so expensive and you need to buy the apple care alone, so I have no Idea how much I will pay, I am waiting for their price quote, whos fault is that ?
I use the laptop normally I had the last laptop for 6 years, and after I invested in this laptop look what happened

Errro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. I tried myself to revive my computer with a bridgeOS and booting it to dfu mode as per apples’ instructions on reviving the t2 security chip with no luck and receiving an error code in apple configurator of 4005. My computer was under factory warranty and I sent it to apple and they had it back to me in a days no charge... the cost though was all of my data as I had no backup because they ultimately replaced the logic board and Touch Bar. Some people on another blog have had success with reviving/restoring their OS with apple configurator but unfortunately I had no luck.

Reactions: GaryLl

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I can’t really help with your problem but I have a question for everyone...I am getting a brand new 13in MBP this morning and now I am wondering if I should hold off on doing any software updates it may have? Maybe they have been done already? I ordered it from BH Photo and like I said it arrives this morning. Should I hold off on any updates or a specific one? With all the virus stuff going on I would be near impossible to get it fixed if it gets bricked like the original poster’s did...???

Errro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
@Fishrrman lol your reply is so ignorant, it’s actually melting my brain. This happened to my computer the DAY the update came out so the fact of the matter is, there was no prior knowledge of the supplemental security doing this to computers yet and wasnt going to be a known problem until it happened. Lmfao

• Angry
Reactions: GaryLl and Honza1

Queen6

macrumors G4
I learnt a long while back from a wiser man, to stay an OS revision behind if not more and leave Apple to sort out the rest. The problem being your always locked into the latest release with new hardware, and associated updates.

I really wish Apple would revert to a cycle where the OS is released on a slower timeframe with fewer surprises, or similar to W10 opt for a more modular approach. Is just shoddy to have such issues where the entire computer is irretrievably bricked. Apple has few excuses as it has full control over both the SW & HW environments. No doubt it's a small percentage, equally **** being in that group and having to deal with such matters...

As for auto updates can pay to defer them, equally Apple will push some security related updates irrespective of the users options.

Q-6

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
In the future, I would suggest that you TURN OFF all "automatic updates".
That way you can decide what to update...
@Fishrrman lol your reply is so ignorant, it’s actually melting my brain. This happened to my computer the DAY the update came out so the fact of the matter is, there was no prior knowledge of the supplemental security doing this to computers yet and wasnt going to be a known problem until it happened. Lmfao
@Fishrrman ’s point was somehow misunderstood. Turning off “automatic updates” is equal to not installing updates immediately after they’re released. Take time (no need to rush) to investigate for any negative effects they may bring. Apple sometimes pulls updates, as well. You can’t take advantage of prior knowledge if you don’t wait for it to build.

What happened stinks. Best to prepare for the possibility of it happening again.

GaryLl

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. I tried myself to revive my computer with a bridgeOS and booting it to dfu mode as per apples’ instructions on reviving the t2 security chip with no luck and receiving an error code in apple configurator of 4005. My computer was under factory warranty and I sent it to apple and they had it back to me in a days no charge... the cost though was all of my data as I had no backup because they ultimately replaced the logic board and Touch Bar. Some people on another blog have had success with reviving/restoring their OS with apple configurator but unfortunately I had no luck.
Just a question for clarification. Did Apple erase your hard drive? I don’t understand the loss of data. I still haven’t got my MBP back yet, but I sure hope there is data on my SSD, if not my time machine will hopefully look after my lost data. Argh ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.