Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
I'm having an issue with my 2019 13" MacBook Pro where the fans quickly ramp up to what sounds like full speed when attending a WebEx meeting through Citrix. Curiously, using the WebEx app directly from the laptop (not through Citrix) gives much lower fan speeds that I would consider normal for processing audio and video through the app. Is there something about Citrix or a VM that would increase the laptop's workload? Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

The laptop specifications are:

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Respectfully,
Nate

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Yes, you shouldn't really be doing stuff like WebEx/Zoom/Teams through Citrix/Remote Desktop.

At work, we tell all our users not to do stuff like this because not only does it put unnecessarily load on the servers you are connecting to, but you end up with a subpar experience vs doing it locally on your computer.

If you install Windows on your laptop (using bootcamp) and used Citrix on that, you might find the app is better optimised so your fan speeds don't go as loud. But even if that is the case, you still shouldn't really be working like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.