Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewv69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
I bought a used 2019 MBP 16, unfortunately the seller put Monterey on it so I want to downgrade. I've followed the Apple guides and other online instructions and they just won't work. Before someone comments that Mojave is old and newer versions are better etc I know, but some of my apps don't work on Catalina and newer so I need Mojave.

First off the MBP plain refuses to download any macOS installer from the App Store (says update not found), so I downloaded it from my 2013 MP running Mojave and created a bootable USB after transferring the installer file to my MBP (if that makes a difference?).

Upon restarting and trying to boot into the install drive, it shows up an incompatible sign like (/) just like when using old apps on Catalina. This is already after downgrading from Monterey to Big Sur, and Big Sur to Catalina with a clean install each time. According to the install guides, this shouldn't be happening. Am I doing something wrong? It shouldn't be my USB C to A adapter or flash drive since they worked fine with the other downgrades.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I bought a used 2019 MBP 16, unfortunately the seller put Monterey on it so I want to downgrade. I've followed the Apple guides and other online instructions and they just won't work. Before someone comments that Mojave is old and newer versions are better etc I know, but some of my apps don't work on Catalina and newer so I need Mojave.

First off the MBP plain refuses to download any macOS installer from the App Store (says update not found), so I downloaded it from my 2013 MP running Mojave and created a bootable USB after transferring the installer file to my MBP (if that makes a difference?).

Upon restarting and trying to boot into the install drive, it shows up an incompatible sign like (/) just like when using old apps on Catalina. This is already after downgrading from Monterey to Big Sur, and Big Sur to Catalina with a clean install each time. According to the install guides, this shouldn't be happening. Am I doing something wrong? It shouldn't be my USB C to A adapter or flash drive since they worked fine with the other downgrades.
The 2019 16” requires 10.15.1 or later. It’s completely incompatible with Mojave.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

There’s always a minimum supported OS for any Mac and it’s invariably whatever was ‘active’ at the time the Mac was in production for.

For a 2019 MBP that’s Catalina. It is all but impossible to install Mojave on it.

andrewv69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
The 2019 16” requires 10.15.1 or later. It’s completely incompatible with Mojave.
painful to hear but i guess it's time to find replacement apps. thanks

apple's support page doesn't indicate this, so i didn't think to check the laptop's minimum OS and just saw this saying "2012 MBP and newer" and figured it would work

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
painful to hear but i guess it's time to find replacement apps. thanks

apple's support page doesn't indicate this, so i didn't think to check the laptop's minimum OS and just saw this saying "2012 MBP and newer" and figured it would work
The compatibility details can be found here:

Also, just for future reference when downgrading, you don't need to go through each OS version. Just install the version you want. (ex. Wipe the Monterey disk and install Catalina. No need to install Big Sur.)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Mojave was rebased September 24, 2018, while Catalina was released on October 7, 2019.
when was the exact release date on your MacBook Pro?
Apple stated late October 2019
and the review says that Catalina is the base OS
the laptop should be gorgeous and powerful, but the keyboard might not be good
(Magic Keyboard with a refined scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm of key travel and a stable key feel)
the MacBook pro is great machine, and catalina-monterey seem very stable
personally i will stay at Mojave for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.