Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Northern California / Bay Area
Hey all,

I searched the forum and could not find an answer to this question. I currently have a2019 MBP 16” i9 1tb 16gb. I am going to be starting online iOS programming courses this fall at UC San Diego online. I feel like the MBP is starting to get sluggish And I really want to upgrade to an apple architecture. With doing programm classes is it a must to have a MBP? Or could I do with a Mac studio? I already have a caldigit external thunderbolt hub with a 28” 4k monitor. So I think that would work great with the Mac studio. What do you all think?

Last edited:

macnerd77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Northern California / Bay Area
One of the important question you need to ask yourself is... portability, are you going to need to be mobile and have access to your Mac?
I agree with you, that is a great question. With my current MacBook Pro it has really turned into a desktop over the past 2 1/2 years it has maybe left the desk 10 times. Will I use it more portably when coding? I’m not really sure, do you know? Is there a lot more reasons to use it portably when coding?

dancormier

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
I worked as a programmer for over a decade. I wouldn't give up the portability of a laptop for a desktop. When you're working through a complicated project you just never know when the solution to a problem will pop into your head. If it takes you three hours to get home, that's three hours for you to forget. I switched from a desktop to a laptop after my second semester of programming classes. Yes, I did lose a little performance but having the flexibility to just grab my laptop when something came to mind and get it into an editor just was more important. Your brain is the best programming tool you have. Everything else is just a way to get your thoughts into a realized form. Best of luck in your classes!

Reactions: macnerd77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.