Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drama

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
Wow that's sneaky. Please update us when the investigation is done. Does that mean you paid more than you should have originally?

I am second owner of this iMac and I got it with big discount thanks to fan issue (first owner warned me about it). I took risk to buy and repair device - and got lucky.
But first owner was charged for this Mac as i9 Mac. But I really don't get it. Ok, reseller sold i9 Mac, but he installed i9, so what's the point? My guess is that seller sold Macs with refurbished parts (marked as new). iMac's box also had label with i9 specification and correct serial number. But service employees told me that label is not original. What's also strange is that Mac was new and in sealed box initially.
Reseller organization is closed right now with many bad reviews, pointing that there was fraud with Macs distribution.

Last edited:

drama

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
I hope you eventually get an i9 back, but in case that is refused or impossible: the i9 in the 2020 iMac is not greatly better than i7, and in many cases the i9 will throttle while the i7 does not.
More important is that your GPU does not also get downgraded.
Check this comparison, for example (although admittedly MaxTech do not tell the whole story):
I agree that i7 has its advantages, so I am satisfied with result anyway, also because that there were no other downgrades, especially GPU as you mentioned.

drama

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
I don’t think that’s the point here. Drama was charged more by reseller for buying the i9 and got i7 after the repair. Something is fishy here, but anyway you must have an invoice which proofs what you have been charged for. The law is on your side, so good luck and nerves.
Yes that's true. But I don't have any invoices or documents for this Mac, so even now situation has good outcome after all, really. I'll just keep watching the investigation out of curiosity.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I am second owner of this iMac and I got it with big discount thanks to fan issue (first owner warned me about it). I took risk to buy and repair device - and got lucky.
But first owner was charged for this Mac as i9 Mac. But I really don't get it. Ok, reseller sold i9 Mac, but he installed i9, so what's the point? My guess is that seller sold Macs with refurbished parts (marked as new). iMac's box also had label with i9 specification and correct serial number. But service employees told me that label is not original. What's also strange is that Mac was new and in sealed box initially.
Reseller organization is closed right now with many bad reviews, pointing that there was fraud with Macs distribution.

Definitely sounds like fraud and something sketchy going on. But sounds like you had a good outcome for yourself, that's great. I have the same model as you now have and the performance has been great for my design work (and sometimes video).

I get the feeling this fan issue has happened to quite a few people. Glad you were able to get that fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.