Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koochyrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I've been trying to run Luxmark 3.1 on the iMac 2020 with Radeon Pro 5700XT. While it can do the default scene successfully, the two other scenes Neumann and Hotel hangs the entire machine. On Big Sur it crashes, but on Catalina the entire machine reboots.

The default sphere scene gives a GPU OpenCL benchmark of about 22000.

Has anyone run the other two scenes successfully? I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue. I even use Macs fan control to force the fan to run at full speed, but it still crashes.

Geekbench's OpenCL benchmark works fine, but I think it's not as demanding as Luxmark.

DaakuMaujii

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
At first, no problems here with LuxMark v3.1 on Catalina 10.15.7

GPU OpenCL benchmark on the 5700XT:
LuxBall: 22978
Neumann: 17690
Hotel: 4463

But after running a few benchmarks, the application suddenly started crashing when switching between scenes during a benchmark, or when starting a new benchmark. So, maybe some software issue related to caching?

koochyrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
At first, no problems here with LuxMark v3.1 on Catalina 10.15.7

GPU OpenCL benchmark on the 5700XT:
LuxBall: 22978
Neumann: 17690
Hotel: 4463

But after running a few benchmarks, the application suddenly started crashing when switching between scenes during a benchmark, or when starting a new benchmark. So, maybe some software issue related to caching?

Damn, maybe I got a lemon :( I could never get the other scenes benchmarked. Are you using Big Sur or Catalina? When it crashes does the crash dialog show this error?
Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x00000002

DaakuMaujii

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Damn, maybe I got a lemon :( I could never get the other scenes benchmarked. Are you using Big Sur or Catalina? When it crashes does the crash dialog show this error?
The main thread of the application segfaults, no evidence of any issue with graphics or OpenCL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.