Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazukia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Besides normal light activities(web surfing, streaming audio/video, email, etc) I will be recording up to 3 people using Garageband. This may be locally or remotely using Zoom, Skype, Discord, or Zancastr. I would then be editing the 3 files and applying a couple effects, before creating a final mp3 file.

In addition I will be creating cover or album art using Affinity Photo or Design.

The audio portion might be done with Reaper or Adobe Audition in the future.

So with the above details, will the base 2020 MBA be sufficient?

Thanks

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Fan noise might be an issue with the 2020 MBA if you are working with a DAW and doing audio recording over Zoom or a similar video conferencing program. I would recommend the base 13" MBP instead.

If you can wait, another option is to take a look at the new macs with ARM processors coming at the end of the year.

tazukia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Fan noise might be an issue with the 2020 MBA if you are working with a DAW and doing audio recording over Zoom or a similar video conferencing program. I would recommend the base 13" MBP instead.

If you can wait, another option is to take a look at the new macs with ARM processors coming at the end of the year.
I am looking forward to the ARM devices, but without knowing what exactly is being released by the end of the year, or even Q1 2021, I need to find a device for use now. My mid-2012 non-retina is on its last leg, but as served me for almost 8 years. The MBP, even with a student discount, is a bit out of reach. I also need to get an audio interface and 2 mics.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Thanks. I was looking at either getting the i5 or 16GB of RAM. Only have the budget for one or the other.

The MBP, even with a student discount, is a bit out of reach. I also need to get an audio interface and 2 mics.

If you buy on Amazon.com, the MBP is only $1200 right now. That might be a little higher than what you want to spend, but I think if you can stretch your budget a little, it would be well worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tazukia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.