Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emadeaziz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2020
New York
I received two 2020 MacBook Air units both i5/8GB/2TB. We use them to run a project management consulting business, so mainly running Microsoft Office, Merlin, Trello, Mail, multiple IM apps and the occasional episodes of Parallels and MS Project and/or Visio.

Before I go on about this review, let me give you a bit of history. Both of us used a pair of late 2013 MacBook Pro's through October 2019. My partner bought a 2019 MBA and I bought an entry-level MBP. We both detested the keyboards. My Quad-core was sluggish and overheated compared to her i3. When the 2020 MBA came out we were eager to make the purchase and watched a ton of reviews that recommended we upgrade to the i5 processors. I chose the air over the pro for portability and form factor, and to avoid the Touch Bar.

During the horrible 4-week wait for the new MBAs to arrive all the videos about how the i5 overheats came out. We were terrified our new purchase would be a complete failure. Here is exactly what happened:

Both laptops overheated and the fans sounded like they were going to take off during the initial setup - file transfers, software installation, and all the syncing and configuration. Then I upgraded one of them to Catalina 10.15.6 and left the other as is. That worked like MAGIC! the upgraded MBA was quite, physical heat level wasn't anything out of the ordinary, and everything seemed normal. The one that wasn't upgraded, however, was as very hot and loud. Both were doing IDENTICAL tasks.

One other thing I noticed is that Intel Power Gadget kept showing extremely high temperature readings on the upgraded laptop - despite the lack of fan noise or heat - until I restarted the device.

I do not post product reviews but thought this might help those who are weary of the heat issue, or want to avoid shelling out an extra $1000 for a device they do not need, or the task bar, and of course those who fell in love with the 2020 MBA form factor as I did. :cool::)

Last edited:

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Just FYI ... "upgraded" to Big Sur Beta 6 .. guess it also received another FW update as all cool and quiet... and the start up bong is back .. i5/8/512 .. I have two partitions so that I can boot back into Catalina just to compare.. runs fast cooler and longer ~9h same tasks as my old 2017 13" i7 :). YmmV

emadeaziz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2020
New York
Just FYI ... "upgraded" to Big Sur Beta 6 .. guess it also received another FW update as all cool and quiet... and the start up bong is back .. i5/8/512 .. I have two partitions so that I can boot back into Catalina just to compare.. runs fast cooler and longer ~9h same tasks as my old 2017 13" i7 :). YmmV
Thats great to know! thank you for sharing.

MacInCanada

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
That's comforting! Thanks!!

I read about the thermal issues after I ordered an MacBook Air i5/8/512 to replace my 2010 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Was terrified as I couldn't cancel it with the education discount

Reactions: emadeaziz

emadeaziz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2020
New York
Is MBA's suitable for programming Apps?

I don't see why not... but I am not an expert.
[automerge]1601295366[/automerge]
That's comforting! Thanks!!

I read about the thermal issues after I ordered an MacBook Air i5/8/512 to replace my 2010 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Was terrified as I couldn't cancel it with the education discount

You are welcome, you will find the 2020 MBA a very pleasant machine to work with. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.