Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
I dual-boot macOS Sonoma (internal SSD) and Windows 10 (external TB3 SSD) on my 2020 iMac with 32 GB of RAM.

When I use Adobe Lightroom in Windows, it runs very slowly and gets worse over time. Making spot edits is pretty much impossible and any change takes a few seconds to render. It's much slower than my old 2014-era Windows PC, even.

It runs perfectly fine when booted to macOS, but I really can't stand using macOS for photo work (mostly because Finder is absolutely awful).

Is there anything I should be doing other than the usual bootcamp installation? The Radeon Pro software seems to be installed properly and the drivers are up to date. I do get the odd hiccup when streaming Twitch or YouTube where the video suddenly resets or stops working until I refresh the page.

Thanks in advance!

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
When in windows...go to programs, windows administrative tools, disk cleanup.
This will cleanup any unnecessary buildup of programs. I also in disk cleanup get rid of system update files also. This may all take a while if you have a lot of junk files. Then afterwards I do disk defragment. Check to see how much room you have in your 'C' drive. You maybe running out of room. You should have at least 10 gb at the minimum to run efficently. If you have less you may have to do some drive allocation or remove files to make more room. You can find that info under This PC and look at the drives itself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.