Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerox8610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Hey everybody, just looking for a little advice.

I have a refurbished 2020 16" MBP with an i9, 32GB Ram, etc. and I keep running into overheating issues with it even under seemingly light workloads. My first refurb had an issue with the WiFi (it couldn't obtain an IP address no matter what) and Apple replaced it with the one I currently have.

The current MacBook I have has been overheating, showing visual glitches and artifacts before shutting down. This has all happened while I'm working on a few Chrome or Firefox tabs and maybe a few other smaller applications for school such as excel or occasionally music software such as Ableton. I downloaded the turbo boost disabler as well as macs fan control to speed up the fans as the CPU is getting hot, but that has only helped so much.. Is this a known issue with the 16" i9 MBPs, or has anyone had a similar experience with their 16" MBP?? I'm thinking I'll have to contact apple support and be without my MacBook for another month or so while they look into / replace it which wouldn't be ideal, but figured I'd ask around here first. Also debating just trading it in for an M1 MacBook but I'd rather wait for the refreshed 16" with an M1X / M2 if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Zerox8610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Started a conversation with apple support, who tells me it's all because I'm not up to date on my app store apps.... We'll see how this goes.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
This is my problem with Apple refurbs (pure speculation on my part). Someone returned it and it could have had the same issues but the outsourced refurbisher did a cursory check on it and said it's fine. At least, going the official apple refurb route you are protected with the 14 day warranty and apple care. I've had both positive and negative experiences with official apple refurbs.

Zerox8610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Spoke with apple support again today after reinstalling MacOS (the final step before they'll do anything) and they're going to have me ship it off for repairs. If I could still return it I probably would have but my 14 days are long over.. Really should have just waited for an M1 macbook instead of getting this when I did. Glad Apple ditched intel after this generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.