Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
I just received my 2020 12.9” 256gb iPad Pro 2 days ago and have since only been using it to scroll through safari and watch YouTube videos. So, I haven’t done anything I think would considered “heavy usage“ at all, and yet, my iPad gets really warm. I left it alone for a few hours just to test it again. Once I started up safari, my iPad started to warm up. Once I opened up my YouTube app, it started to really warm up. I’m not sure what’s wrong, since I’ve only had it for 2 days. I’m worried it might overheat and shut down while taking notes when classes start back up. My previous iPad Pro 11” never got warm while doing simple tasks like these. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I just received my 2020 12.9” 256gb iPad Pro 2 days ago and have since only been using it to scroll through safari and watch YouTube videos. So, I haven’t done anything I think would considered “heavy usage“ at all, and yet, my iPad gets really warm. I left it alone for a few hours just to test it again. Once I started up safari, my iPad started to warm up. Once I opened up my YouTube app, it started to really warm up. I’m not sure what’s wrong, since I’ve only had it for 2 days. I’m worried it might overheat and shut down while taking notes when classes start back up. My previous iPad Pro 11” never got warm while doing simple tasks like these. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Does the battery drain really fast?

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Does the battery drain really fast?

Possibly? Doing tasks like that will drain my battery about 10-15% in about an hour. I’m not sure if that’s considered fast or not based on what I’m doing, but was expecting maybe 5% in an hour doing tasks like that. Not 10-15%.

Last edited:

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I had battery drain (100%->0% in 9 hours) and couldn't figure it out. I noticed that I had a lot of network traffic even while I slept. I logged out of gmail and logged back in. Problem stopped.

If you're using iCloud iMessage sync try shutting it off, restart the iPad, and then turn iCloud iMessage syncing back on. Might also help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.