Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrism139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Hi,
I am new to the MBP community and just bought an open box 16" i7 16gb memory MBP 2019 (later model) from Best Buy and I'm experiencing the thermal throttling/overheating when connecting it to an external monitor (basic Acer monitor nothing fancy). Does anyone know if Apple fixed this problem in the new 2020 Macbook Pro?

Thinking about returning this open box 16" MBP for the new 2020 13" with the magic keyboard and hopefully a cooler running system. I'm fine having the smaller screen, just want something reliable and easy to use for photo/video editing. Thoughts?

I would also save $200 since I paid $2K for this 16" and the new 13" is $1,800 with the i5 10th gen processor, 16gb ram and the 512 storage.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
Well, the thermal issues with external displays on the 16” are due to the dGPU so I imagine the 13” is not affected. You are certainly leaving some horsepower on the table by trading models though, so it’s your call. Personally I returned my 16” and am waiting on the new 13” to go on a big sale or an iMac redesign. (Or a Mac mini with better thermals and a dGPU! I can dream.)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It's important to point out that the 16" neither thermal throttles or overheats when connected to an external monitor. It uses more power and gets hotter and the fans spin more, that's it. The CPU performs as it should and the fans cool the machine as they should. The issue is around the GPU pulling much more power when using an external monitor and the laptop screen at the same time.

Chrism139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Thank you for the feedback and knowledge on the dGPU. I mainly do photo design and website code, slowly learning swift, I want to get into video later. Do you think I'd miss performance going to the new 2020 13" 10th gen i5 10nm intel chip with the Iris Graphics? Plus the magic keyboard!

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
It's worth pointing out that the 16" won't experience heat or fan noise if you have the "right" setup. But... I'm guessing you don't and you won't be interested in trying to find this right setup.

So I'd say the 13" is more for you.

In fact, if you don't use a higher resolution display that has Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C connection, you might as well stick to the 13".

Performance-wise, it'll take a bit longer to finish some things, but it's not that much slower. I still have my 2018 13" and it's not that much slower than my 16". The 16" is indeed faster and more of a workhorse, but... the 13" is still a nice little computer.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
It's worth pointing out that the 16" won't experience heat or fan noise if you have the "right" setup. But... I'm guessing you don't and you won't be interested in trying to find this right setup.

So I'd say the 13" is more for you.

In fact, if you don't use a higher resolution display that has Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C connection, you might as well stick to the 13".

Performance-wise, it'll take a bit longer to finish some things, but it's not that much slower. I still have my 2018 13" and it's not that much slower than my 16". The 16" is indeed faster and more of a workhorse, but... the 13" is still a nice little computer.

I cant decide between maxed out 2020 13inch or 16 8 core for graphic design

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I cant decide between maxed out 2020 13inch or 16 8 core for graphic design

MKBHD is a long-time 13" user. He just reviewed the maxed-out 13". He said it was very nice, more performance than MacBook Air, nicer keyboard than last generation, though slower than the 16". So after that review, he's going to... return the maxed out 13" to Apple and stick with his old 13" that's 2 years old now.

I think that's enough to go on.

P.S.: maybe something to look at:

Also try this guy:

Basically, TL;DR: CPU-wise the 10th gen is not that much faster than 8th gen in real world performance. Nice benchmark numbers, though.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'd suggest no it probably does not, as my 2020 MacBook Air does not have thermal issues hooked up to a 4k display, and the Pro is basically the same processor/gpu family unlocked for more power and better cooling.

Tuzi

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2020

Just out of curiosity, what is the “right” setup ?
I am considering the 16” instead of the 13” but as it will be used in clampshell mode for 2 monitors I would prefer to have it relatively silent.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MKBHD is a long-time 13" user. He just reviewed the maxed-out 13". He said it was very nice, more performance than MacBook Air, nicer keyboard than last generation, though slower than the 16". So after that review, he's going to... return the maxed out 13" to Apple and stick with his old 13" that's 2 years old now.

I think that's enough to go on.

P.S.: maybe something to look at:

If you listen carefully MKBHD specifically stated at the end of that video he's returning to his 2018 MBA, not the Pro which I found odd since he states the Pro is more powerful for light photo editing when he's mobile. WTH?

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
Better off getting the 16 inch if you’re spending that much.
unless you have to carry it
[automerge]1588985255[/automerge]
Unless you need the portability, I'd buy the 16" every time.
The 16" is more expensive and you can't travel with it (easily). All depend son use-cases and requirements. Saying that you'd "get the 16 everytime" is suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with the 13. In my opinion of course. You may meant differently! ☺ ✌

Reactions: bhodinut

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

The 16" is more expensive and you can't travel with it (easily). All depend son use-cases and requirements. Saying that you'd "get the 16 everytime" is suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with the 13. In my opinion of course. You may meant differently! ☺ ✌

I get that the 16" is bigger than the 13", but people talk like it's iMac size when discussing the portability of it. I had a 13" and replaced it with a 16", and I just got a bigger bag....

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
I get that the 16" is bigger than the 13", but people talk like it's iMac size when discussing the portability of it. I had a 13" and replaced it with a 16", and I just got a bigger bag....
It's not about 'just getting a bigger bag' though. it doesn't fit in backpacks. It's bulky. It doesn't work on airline tray tables (probably not as much as a concern these days... ? although domestic travel will be opening again soon) or remote shared work spaces as easily that's all. It's a bit like saying why get a smaller car - a larger car you can just drive around looking for a bigger carpark space. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There simply aren't enough 2020 13" MacBook Pro's "out there" yet, to answer the OP's question.

This will take AT LEAST 2-3 months before reliable user reports come in over time.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
@Chrism139 If you are doing anything requiring regular GPU use, the 16" is clearly the way to go compared to the newly released MacBook Pro 13". I tested on metal with Geekbench 5; you can find results like these all over, but compared to the MacBook Pro 13":

MacBook Pro 13" - 9877
MacBook Pro 16" - 29349

Cinebench score is double too, 1708 vs. 3531, which does test modeling, rendering etc. - twice as fast.

Engine heaven, another GPU benchmark:
avg. frames/sec - MacBook Pro 13" 13.5, MacBook Pro 16" 86.1
range of fps across all tests - MacBook Pro 13" 5.9 - 26.9, MacBook Pro 16" 54.5 - 159.6
score MacBook Pro 13" 341, MacBook Pro 16" 2169.

These are huge differences.

This is with the top cpu choice for each model. They are not even close if you need a lot of GPU.

KidRacer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Just got my i7/32GB/2TB yesterday and am already having major overheating issues. The fan is coming on every few mins and I am literally surfing the web and checking email. That’s it. I do no editing of any kind.

Already having regrets going for the i7 and if this persists the next few days, after what people are saying could just be indexing of adding my iPhoto library, this will be getting returned and replaced with the i5.

Reactions: Mity

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just got my i7/32GB/2TB yesterday and am already having major overheating issues. The fan is coming on every few mins and I am literally surfing the web and checking email. That’s it. I do no editing of any kind.

Already having regrets going for the i7 and if this persists the next few days, after what people are saying could just be indexing of adding my iPhoto library, this will be getting returned and replaced with the i5.
What I’d do is leave it on overnight. That should let it finish indexing. And just to be clear, did you migrate from a previous Mac or do a clean installation? If you migrated, there is a chance some errant app is running in the background. Try a safe boot (boot holding the shift key) if that’s the case. The i7 shouldn’t be “overheating.” My i5 had Windows 10 running in Parallels, Quicken for Windows running in Crossover (a WINE app), and Excel for Mac, and the fans never went on until I started installing Windows updates.

If you do decide to get the i5, what I’d do is order it now, and then wait until Day 14 after your i7 arrived to initiate the return. That will give you an additional 2 weeks to actually receive the i5 before you have to get the i7 back to Apple through 2-day FedEx (meaning you can use the i7 for up to 26 days and minimize the time you are without a MacBook Pro).

Reactions: KidRacer

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
What I’d do is leave it on overnight. That should let it finish indexing. And just to be clear, did you migrate from a previous Mac or do a clean installation? If you migrated, there is a chance some errant app is running in the background. Try a safe boot (boot holding the shift key) if that’s the case. The i7 shouldn’t be “overheating.” My i5 had Windows 10 running in Parallels, Quicken for Windows running in Crossover (a WINE app), and Excel for Mac, and the fans never went on until I started installing Windows updates.

If you do decide to get the i5, what I’d do is order it now, and then wait until Day 14 after your i7 arrived to initiate the return. That will give you an additional 2 weeks to actually receive the i5 before you have to get the i7 back to Apple through 2-day FedEx (meaning you can use the i7 for up to 26 days and minimize the time you are without a MacBook Pro).
I have the 10thGen 13" i5/16GB/1TB and have never heard the fans kick on yet. So far I have had multiple Safari windows open, light photo editing and email without hearing the fans come on once.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

No, I wasn’t suggesting that at all.

The 16” is more powerful, has a larger screen, better thermal capabilities, amazing speakers and better mics. So unless you want the smaller form factor or don’t want to spend the extra money, I don’t know why you’d choose the 13” over it.

I’m a big fan of both, but generally I go for the smaller machine because of its size.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
No, I wasn’t suggesting that at all.

The 16” is more powerful, has a larger screen, better thermal capabilities, amazing speakers and better mics. So unless you want the smaller form factor or don’t want to spend the extra money, I don’t know why you’d choose the 13” over it.

I’m a big fan of both, but generally I go for the smaller machine because of its size.

Unless you need to carry it then none of that matters. Might as well get the Mac Pro with screen. All of the same reasons apply.

Salomonander

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2020

Please let us know how this went... best

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi,
I am new to the MBP community and just bought an open box 16" i7 16gb memory MBP 2019 (later model) from Best Buy and I'm experiencing the thermal throttling/overheating when connecting it to an external monitor (basic Acer monitor nothing fancy). Does anyone know if Apple fixed this problem in the new 2020 Macbook Pro?

Thinking about returning this open box 16" MBP for the new 2020 13" with the magic keyboard and hopefully a cooler running system. I'm fine having the smaller screen, just want something reliable and easy to use for photo/video editing. Thoughts?

I would also save $200 since I paid $2K for this 16" and the new 13" is $1,800 with the i5 10th gen processor, 16gb ram and the 512 storage.
Found this youtube video
That show some potential work arounds, not sure how useful they are

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
At about 10:45, Youtuber Max Tech opens up two 13" 2020 MBP models to see what the fan / heat sink configuration looks like. One is the base model with 8th gen intel processor, the other is the $1799 model with 10th gen processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.