Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broly

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
any of you experience this issue?*

1. using the OEM charger
2. oem usb-c cable
3. charges fine when i'm not using resource-intensive program(s)
4. does not charge when there is high usage, but the battery icon is white with the lightning icon.

this is strange.

time to check 'er in?

pictures of someone doing REAL work (like ACTUAL work, not work for you to CONSUME, but WORK that is valuable in spite of your decision to consume or not)
  • excuse the blurs, but at this point everyone is just eager to copy my thought process in any way they can.
    • i am showing you what is necessary, not what you may profit from, although the former arguably becomes the latter upon resolution.
      • it's possible i missed something so if you've got nothing better to do, sponge away (as i'm doing here, admittedly, by asking a question)
<removed important stuff because i solved the issue>
* it's a 2020 to me, 9980/5600M and all, so please check your pedantry at the door ("it's still a 2019!! because we all know 2020 is WHEN THE WORLD CHANGED WITH APPUL SILICON")

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
This is normal and as designed, at full load the laptop might even use some battery whilst on mains because the power supply is not big enough - especially as you have the maxed out CPU/GPU so they will draw even more, peak load can exceed the maximum input even on biggest supported supply.

This is also why macbooks will not perform properly if battery is entirely removed/defective, as the design relies on battery being present to top up power needs if necessary.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Crickey mate. I don’t think you compiling and running some “school ****” is that valuable to others. I’m sure your thesis is very cool but you come off a bit arrogant no offense.

To return to your issue; install the open source program Stats. Enable its batter widget and its total system wattage sensor widget. Batter widget will tell you how much wattage the charger is supplying and the total system wattage is what’s being used. Compare the numbers. If charger wattage is less then that’s why it’s not charging. You can disable turbo boost maybe to reduce system usage a bit but it doesn’t do much in all core workloads. Reducing screen brightness might also help. There’s a chance the total system wattage can exceed the chargers capacity.

Reactions: Doc_dee and Bigwaff

broly

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
Crickey mate. I don’t think you compiling and running some “school ****” is that valuable to others. I’m sure your thesis is very cool but you come off a bit arrogant no offense.

To return to your issue; install the open source program Stats. Enable its batter widget and its total system wattage sensor widget. Batter widget will tell you how much wattage the charger is supplying and the total system wattage is what’s being used. Compare the numbers. If charger wattage is less then that’s why it’s not charging. You can disable turbo boost maybe to reduce system usage a bit but it doesn’t do much in all core workloads. Reducing screen brightness might also help. There’s a chance the total system wattage can exceed the chargers capacity.
yes yes, i'm an arrogant nobody who overestimates the importance his work because "if it was important, someone would cover it" and all that.

i removed the pictures so whoever has a copy should consider themselves lucky, as unimportant as someone may suggest my "school ****" is. lol. if you'd argue about processors i'd be down for a good verbal scrap, but on this issue? nah.

anyways, the problem was actually the cable, strangely enough. i looked in system report and it said the charger wattage was 60W, in spite of it's "96 W USB-C adapter". i don't know when this started happening, but it was probably recently.

i looked inside the old cable's connector and observed non-uniform wear among the contacts.

thanks to this thread on the forum, which was a similar issue, i decided to buy another cable and the problem is solved.

thanks for your participation!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
yes yes, i'm an arrogant nobody who overestimates the importance his work because "if it was important, someone would cover it" and all that.

i removed the pictures so whoever has a copy should consider themselves lucky, as unimportant as someone may suggest my "school ****" is. lol. if you'd argue about processors i'd be down for a good verbal scrap, but on this issue? nah.

anyways, the problem was actually the cable, strangely enough. i looked in system report and it said the charger wattage was 60W, in spite of it's "96 W USB-C adapter". i don't know when this started happening, but it was probably recently.

i looked inside the old cable's connector and observed non-uniform wear among the contacts.

thanks to this thread on the forum, which was a similar issue, i decided to buy another cable and the problem is solved.

thanks for your participation!
Mate, it might be a very important thesis you’re writing but there was nothing that valuable in your screenshots. And since the images are gone I want to clarify some context. “School ****” was the OP’s folder name not an insult on my end. I’m sure the OP probably does do important work. But they come off as if they are the only one in the world and everyone else’s work doesn’t matter.

Ah yeah. If some of the power delivery pins give out that can happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.