Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kromix

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Currently on a 2021 14" Macbook Pro (A2442), thinking about "upgrading" to a 15" Macbook Air....

I use it to web browse, imessage, usual non-pro usage. I do some occasional light photoshopping, but nothing heavy duty.

Is the "XDR" display on the pro worth staying on the pro for or is the Macbook Air screen and brightness more than enough?

Should I go to the Air? Besides the ports, what else am I missing or losing out on?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is the "XDR" display on the pro worth staying on the pro for or is the Macbook Air screen and brightness more than enough?
This is more of a personal/subjective question. Some people like the Air's display and others don't. Would be best to look at it yourself to see what you think. Also, the Air does fractional scaling by default, whereas the Pro does 2x integer scaling by default. Not sure if that's a concern for you for photoshopping.

Besides the ports, what else am I missing or losing out on?
Better speakers and better heat management (fan), to name a couple.

cdames00

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Currently on a 2021 14" Macbook Pro (A2442), thinking about "upgrading" to a 15" Macbook Air....

I use it to web browse, imessage, usual non-pro usage. I do some occasional light photoshopping, but nothing heavy duty.

Should I go to the Air? Besides the ports, what else am I missing or losing out on?
I’m debating trading in my 2021 16” as my use case has changed and the portability appeals to me more now. My dad has an M2 Air and I find the screen to be just fine; clearly not as good, but more than adequate.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022

I have a M1P MBP and an M2 MBA and use them for mostly the same stuff as you. The biggest difference is definitely the screen. I also thing the MBP sounds better. However these are things that I only notice when I use the machines back to back. On the whole I like the MBA better because of the size and battery life. Not to mention the price is generally better too.

Not sure it's worth spending money to make the move however. That's a different question and one only you can answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.