Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just a check on things, are we all in agreement that the 2021 WDC was in fact Mr Verstappen, and there cannot be any debate as it was Baku, 2021 in which a driver in car 44, 2nd at the last restart, when the lights went out, decided that he was tired of racing for the day/championship, and decided to go straight on, and thought left turns were for simple folk... That 2nd to 15th, blamed on buttons on his steering wheel, he designed, approved, used.. If you do the maths, had this driver in car 44, finished 6th or better in this Baku race, he would have an 8th title.. Mind you this was at least the 2nd time he felt that winning championships with duff drives, remember CHINA...2007..Drove himself, alone, without the aid of any outside agent, or race director, into a gravel trap... So he donated 2 titles.. very generous this driver of car 44...
We had a very close fought exciting season decided by a race director and it did a disservice to both drivers in the end. End of story.

Reactions: ericwn

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I agree, the season was ending very nicely until it got screwed up by the race director.
Oh, he did not affect the end result of the season, Mr Car 44 did that all on his own, ok, he did have some help, Mr Bottas finishing 3rd in Bahrain, Spain, Portugal did not help, Mr 44 driving in Baku, cost him, as he did himself drive into the gravel in China.. So I am trying to understand how Race Director did anything..Other than add a bit of spice to the end of season.. but his actions played no role in the outcome of who finished 2nd to last.. The driver of 44 was his own worst enemy....

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Oh, he did not affect the end result of the season, Mr Car 44 did that all on his own, ok, he did have some help, Mr Bottas finishing 3rd in Bahrain, Spain, Portugal did not help, Mr 44 driving in Baku, cost him, as he did himself drive into the gravel in China.. So I am trying to understand how Race Director did anything..Other than add a bit of spice to the end of season.. but his actions played no role in the outcome of who finished 2nd to last.. The driver of 44 was his own worst enemy....

‘Oh everybody give me attention, please’….

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
It was all just a bit of fun, to see if we had come to our senses, and realized that really it is just not important, what I suspect happened is that folks saw the reaction of toto wollff, "No mike.." and bought into the false reality...when he goofed so bad, he even bought the drive to survive narrative... When actually there was nothing Masi did that could have changed the results, Lewis goofed in Baku, Bottas did not help in his 3 3rd place results that gave Max 9 points, and at the end of the day, Lewis was 1 point behind, 1...nothing serious...just time wasting between events, Imola would have been great, Monaco is like watching paint dry...

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Anyone missing their motorsport fix should get Guenther Steiners "Surviving to Drive" on the 2022 HAAS season. It is funny and has some interesting tidbits of info on people and teams. I would suggest the Audiobook as he narrated it himself.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It was all just a bit of fun, to see if we had come to our senses, and realized that really it is just not important, what I suspect happened is that folks saw the reaction of toto wollff, "No mike.." and bought into the false reality...when he goofed so bad, he even bought the drive to survive narrative... When actually there was nothing Masi did that could have changed the results, Lewis goofed in Baku, Bottas did not help in his 3 3rd place results that gave Max 9 points, and at the end of the day, Lewis was 1 point behind, 1...nothing serious...just time wasting between events, Imola would have been great, Monaco is like watching paint dry...

No, we all watched the race, were aware of the rules about a restart after a safety car and Masi did mess the whole thing up. He was sacked and his decision making was classified in the FIA report as ‘human error’.

Regardless of mistakes Lewis had made during that season, he’d arrived in Abu Dhabi level on points. Had the race director followed the correct protocol, Lewis would have been the worthy champion. You sound like you’re trying to kid yourself to be honest and rewrite history. Verstappen made his fair share of mistakes during 2021 and lost a big points lead going into the last race. He was very lucky Masi made the error he did and the result was allowed to stand. Simple as that.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No, we all watched the race, were aware of the rules about a restart after a safety car and Masi did mess the whole thing up. He was sacked and his decision making was classified in the FIA report as ‘human error’.

Regardless of mistakes Lewis had made during that season, he’d arrived in Abu Dhabi level on points. Had the race director followed the correct protocol, Lewis would have been the worthy champion. You sound like you’re trying to kid yourself to be honest and rewrite history. Verstappen made his fair share of mistakes during 2021 and lost a big points lead going into the last race. He was very lucky Masi made the error he did and the result was allowed to stand. Simple as that.
Correct on all counts.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
No, I was just having a bit of fun, to see what folks thought, clearly folks take F1 way too seriously, it is entertainment, it is really just that, at the end of the day, had Lewis gained a 9 point advantage over Max as a result of Bottas finishing 2nd in Bahrain, Spain, Portugal, and Lewis 25 for 1st in Baku, 34 points ahead, will anyone have cared what Masi did?? Really, it is about the whole season, and not one race...Everyone drank the Merc kool aid, when Toto cried "no mike that is not right.." Toto lost it, he totally forgot about the results from Bahrain, Spain, Portugal, and Lewis driving off the course in Baku.. The FIA **** pants, and fired the wrong bloke.. Masi did nothing wrong.. So your argument really does not stand up to much...

A worthy champion is crowned as a result of effort over a WHOLE season... Fact is, at the end of 2021, Max had done better overall than Lewis, Merc changed drivers, we will never know if it was due to the 3 3rds Bottas got, but that sure did not help Lewis.. Going into the last race, and needing a win, really, the one being fired for incompetence should have been Toto, as he clearly lost the plot that day... We all make mistakes, it is that everyone forgot about Baku, as everyone forgot about 2007... Lewis should have 9 titles, counting 2007/2021... Any way it was all really just meant to be nothing serious...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No, I was just having a bit of fun, to see what folks thought, clearly folks take F1 way too seriously, it is entertainment, it is really just that, at the end of the day, had Lewis gained a 9 point advantage over Max as a result of Bottas finishing 2nd in Bahrain, Spain, Portugal, and Lewis 25 for 1st in Baku, 34 points ahead, will anyone have cared what Masi did?? Really, it is about the whole season, and not one race...Everyone drank the Merc kool aid, when Toto cried "no mike that is not right.." Toto lost it, he totally forgot about the results from Bahrain, Spain, Portugal, and Lewis driving off the course in Baku.. The FIA **** pants, and fired the wrong bloke.. Masi did nothing wrong.. So your argument really does not stand up to much...

A worthy champion is crowned as a result of effort over a WHOLE season... Fact is, at the end of 2021, Max had done better overall than Lewis, Merc changed drivers, we will never know if it was due to the 3 3rds Bottas got, but that sure did not help Lewis.. Going into the last race, and needing a win, really, the one being fired for incompetence should have been Toto, as he clearly lost the plot that day... We all make mistakes, it is that everyone forgot about Baku, as everyone forgot about 2007... Lewis should have 9 titles, counting 2007/2021... Any way it was all really just meant to be nothing serious...
Max or Lewis would have been a worthy champion after an excellent season. But when the rules were made up in the last race to hand the result to one over the other, it became something else.

Reviving a two year old thread for what you call a bit of fun is very strange. Most other people have a different name for it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You keep saying it’s a bit of fun, but then come out with statements purely to fish for reactions, like the tripe above. Lewis made errors like in Baku, indeed. Verstappen made errors like Monza, Silverstone, Brazil, Saudi Arabia and lost a significant points advantage. The season came down to the last race and instead of being won on the track, it was won via a poor decision by an under pressure RD. I know Max’s fans dismiss these circumstances because quite rightly it undervalues the championship, but it is what it is. Unfortunate for both drivers in reality.

Why do you keep mentioning China 2007? That was Hamilton’s rookie season and an impressive season at that. McLaren kept Lewis out during that race despite him asking for 5 consecutive laps to come in for fresh tyres. Ron Dennis publicly took responsibility for that too. It wasn’t meant to be and doesn’t get away from the fact Lewis had one of the most successful rookie seasons the sport has seen to date. He finished higher in the championship than a current double WDC and matched him for pace from the very first preseason test. Not really a subject for ridicule by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: ericwn

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I had to take a double check to see why this thread was being used again? It's past history now. And Max won another championship fairly since. And will maybe win this year too looking at his pace. Not sure why bringing up 2021 again is worth it?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I had to take a double check to see why this thread was being used again? It's past history now. And Max won another championship fairly since. And will maybe win this year too looking at his pace. Not sure why bringing up 2021 again is worth it?
I thought they locked them once we created new ones...

Reactions: Pezimak

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I am here, I was just trying to fill the time, really it was only a bit of fun, I never wanted to do anything to anyone, it was a strange year, really it never was meant to be serious...live a little...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It was meant to be a bit humorous, lighthearted poke at folks that think driver 44 "was cheated"...

Nobody claimed he was cheated on that race or that that was anything but his own mistake not making certain races. Interesting that this is still driving your posts and that you feel the need to beat a dead horse yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.