Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetComa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Apple Support just confirmed to me that they’re receiving multiple reports of slow connection speeds when connecting a 2021 iPad Pro to an M1 Mac mini. I’m not sure of how many different configs are involved, but I have the 12.9” 1TB and a mini with 16G/1TB. The senior advisor indicated that the exact configurations I have are the ones that he saw reports about.

The issue is that connecting via Thunderbolt or USB-C cable, the mini never reports speeds faster than 480 MB/s. I’ve tried multiple cables of both types and every port on the mini. I have a Caldigit TB dock connected to the mini and it reports 40 GB/s speed. I connected a USB 3 SSD to the iPad and while I couldn’t see what the speed was, it copied hundreds of photos in a few seconds. It appears this is just an iPad to mini issue.

Reactions: anakin44011

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Apple Support just confirmed to me that they’re receiving multiple reports of slow connection speeds when connecting a 2021 iPad Pro to an M1 Mac mini. I’m not sure of how many different configs are involved, but I have the 12.9” 1TB and a mini with 16G/1TB. The senior advisor indicated that the exact configurations I have are the ones that he saw reports about.

The issue is that connecting via Thunderbolt or USB-C cable, the mini never reports speeds faster than 480 MB/s. I’ve tried multiple cables of both types and every port on the mini. I have a Caldigit TB dock connected to the mini and it reports 40 GB/s speed. I connected a USB 3 SSD to the iPad and while I couldn’t see what the speed was, it copied hundreds of photos in a few seconds. It appears this is just an iPad to mini issue.
It's a limit imposed by iPadOS 14.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Really? How do you know? It seems odd that the speed is limited to USB 2, not to mention that Apple Support said it was not expected behavior.

Yes, it's disappointing that it's throttled, for whatever the reason. If it's iPadOS 14, then hopefully 15 will open it up.

Last edited:

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I noticed the same connecting to my windows box. It doesn’t appear to treat it as a thunderbolt device.

my guess is iOS 15 will be the solution.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
To anyone who comes across this, the issue is still present in iOS15. It seems to affect M1 iPad Pro's connecting to a M1 MacBook (including Pro/Max). The A12X iPad Pro displays 10GB/s. I have contacted apple who are looking into the issue. Hopefully we can get an answer as to why we only get USB2 speed on two thunderbolt devices!

StevenL94

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
New York, NY
Just noticed this on my new 16” MacBook Pro (M1 Max) and 12.9” iPad Pro (M1). Couldn’t even get past the initial “Trust This Device” popup until I switched to the USB-C cable that came with the iPad.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
The USB-C cable that comes with the iPad is primarily a charging cable and only supports USB2 speeds (480mbps) regardless.

What cable were you trying to connect with? There is some other issue with thunderbolt cables between a M1 iPad and M1 MBP, it does not connect.

The current issue with USB is that you cannot get more than USB2 speeds (480mbps) regardless of the cable when connecting a M1 iPad to a M1 MacOS device. The same cable / iPad will show 10GB/s on an Intel Mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.35.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.35.49 pm.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 127

StevenL94

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
New York, NY
The USB-C cable that comes with the iPad is primarily a charging cable and only supports USB2 speeds (480mbps) regardless.

What cable were you trying to connect with? There is some other issue with thunderbolt cables between a M1 iPad and M1 MBP, it does not connect.

The current issue with USB is that you cannot get more than USB2 speeds (480mbps) regardless of the cable when connecting a M1 iPad to a M1 MacOS device. The same cable / iPad will show 10GB/s on an Intel Mac.
Tried both the 0.8m Thunderbolt 3 Cable and 2.0m Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable (both Apple cables). Works perfectly on my Intel Mac.

Once the popup was cleared the connection became a bit more stable. The connection is occasionally intermittent with the charging indicator going on and off on the M1 Mac.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
Interesting. So with the M1 iPad connected over one of those thunderbolt cables to the M1 machine, you're saying it's stable and showing up in System Report? If so, what speed?

Yeah the intel machines seem to be reporting the correct speeds (not sure whether they're showing 40Gb/s thunderbolt though)

StevenL94

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
New York, NY
Interesting. So with the M1 iPad connected over one of those thunderbolt cables to the M1 machine, you're saying it's stable and showing up in System Report? If so, what speed?

Yeah the intel machines seem to be reporting the correct speeds (not sure whether they're showing 40Gb/s thunderbolt though)
Still shows 480Mbps but at least now I can charge and sync somewhat with the Thunderbolt cable. Whereas before charging and syncing was not happening since the connection kept dropping every second.

Never saw more than USB3.2 Gen 2 speeds (10Gbps) on my Intel Mac. Doesn’t event show up as a Thunderbolt device.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
Fair enough. Not great that we're not getting more than USB2 speeds with two thunderbolt devices and high quality cable! You get the same result with a cheap usb-c charging cable.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Well I did some quick tests using my M1 12.9 iPP (512GB Cellular).
On my M1 Mac Mini (16/512), the iPP showed up as 480Mb/s using three different active TB3 cables. When I used the a standard usb-c cable (came with my StayGo usb-c hub), it showed up as 10Gb/s under the USB tab.

I also tried it on my intel 16" MBP (2019 model) and the results were the exact same. 480Mb/s with the TB3 cables and 10Gb/s with the standard usb-c cable.

I didn't test any file transfers, just checked what it said. iPad is on ios15, M1 Mini is on Big Sur and the intel 16" MBP is on Monterey. My Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro shows up just fine under the Thunderbolt tab on the Mini.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Was the iPad plugged directly into the computer or via a dock?
It was connected directly to both of them.
When I tried connecting it via the akitio (owc) thunderbolt 3 pro dock it didn’t show up at all. Strange.

I also tried it on my 13” M1 MBP today and the result was the same. 480Mb/s with the TB3 cable and 10Gb/s with the regular usb-c cable.
Edit: the M1 MBP is still on Big Sur.

Last edited:

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
That's actually really interesting. So it's either something wrong with my 11" M1 iPad Pro or the issue lies with the 11" model (I do get 10 when connecting to a intel machine). I've just tried a few other USBC data cables and cannot get more than 480mbps when connecting directly to my MBP. Weird your dock didn't work, when I plug it in via my Caldigit TB3 dock I get 10gbps.

StevenL94

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
New York, NY
Just got an update today from AppleCare after sending logs and pictures to engineering. They were able to verify the issue and said it should be fixed in a upcoming software update.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
Just got an update today from AppleCare after sending logs and pictures to engineering. They were able to verify the issue and said it should be fixed in a upcoming software update.
Fantastic, thanks for the update. I sent the same pictures through but my response after 5 business days was please make sure you’re not using a USB2 cable, despite the same logs showing a 10gb/s SSD with the same cable. Anyway glad to hear you’re getting somewhere.

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
Update: Apple are claiming it could be "Normal" behaviour to see 480mpbs on M1 but 10GB/s on Intel machines. I am doing some more log gathering next week with them, including creating a new partition to see its not an OS problem.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Wow...August 2023, and having the same problem.

M2 Max MacBook Pro and 2021 12.9 iPad Pro

Multiple cables, including Thunderbolt 4 which work great with SSD...and yet, USB2 speeds

Interestingly -- when I plug in an older Thunderbolt 3 cable, it shows 10GBs in System Report...but it still doesn't transfer at that speed.

Last edited:

ICULikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
FYI - Sonoma appears to have gone backward. When plugging in a 10GB/s USBC cable, system report is saying 480Mb/s again 🤦🏼‍♂️

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
FYI - Sonoma appears to have gone backward. When plugging in a 10GB/s USBC cable, system report is saying 480Mb/s again 🤦🏼‍♂️
Apple has to know that this won't go well for them if they put Thunderbolt on the next iPhone Pro. Thankfully, I'm not one whose professional workflow requires this. But I imagine there are quite a few professionals that would raise a big stink over USB 2.0 speed transfers via Thunderbolt.

We'll see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.