Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Just got home from the local Apple Store. I'm setting up my new M1 iMac (again) and I am now having issues with Bluetooth. The keyboard is slow to respond unless it is plugged directly in via Lightning <> USB-C.

Is anyone else having Bluetooth keyboard issues with their new M1 iMac?

Reactions: Saffron 2

PaulAllen/

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2021
Just got home from the local Apple Store. I'm setting up my new M1 iMac (again) and I am now having issues with Bluetooth. The keyboard is slow to respond unless it is plugged directly in via Lightning <> USB-C.

Is anyone else having Bluetooth keyboard issues with their new M1 iMac?
I'm having issues with the trackpad being unresponsive, but not the keyboard.

Reactions: Porfiry

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Try turning off your 2.4GHz router radio. Use 5GHz only.

Bluetooth and 2.4GHz WiFi can interfere.

I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth as I use a wired ethernet and have disabled WiFi on the iMac side.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Take a look here. Might be relevant

Chiu2

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
Air Pods Pro Choppy and not useable on M1 iMac. If I disconnect and try to re-pair the them into Bluetooth on the Mac it doesn't even show up. The AirPods are not found. The only way to pair is to use iPhone, and then it syncs to Mac. Air pods works fine on my iPhone and older Macs. Tech support wants me to reinstall my OS and I'm reluctant to do this as I just go everything running on this new Mac. Also experience slow suggest mouse.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The M1 chipset, for all of its amazing features, has some major issues with Bluetooth, and Apple refuses to acknowledge it. Laggy mice, inconsistent AirPods connections, etc. It's really frustrating.

Reactions: Saffron 2

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I find my wireless keyboard can be laggy with my 2020 27-inch iMac. But it is intermittent. So I, too, sometimes connect it with a Lightning cable -- which is annoying to have to do. So maybe not an M1 issue?

Reactions: AdamInKent

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I find my wireless keyboard can be laggy with my 2020 27-inch iMac. But it is intermittent. So I, too, sometimes connect it with a Lightning cable -- which is annoying to have to do. So maybe not an M1 issue?
Correct, since a lot of people now demand wireless everything, people often forget that "RF pollution" is a real issue nowadays.

Before the advent of BT, WiFi, NFC, and the entire 802.11 wireless routers; many devices were wired.

Match that with real world EMI disruptions that interfere with RF signals:
  • microwave ovens,
  • cellular phones (CDMA, TDMA, GSM)
  • home automation,
  • home/business WAP (WiFi Router w/ dual bands & multi channel connectivity,
  • security proximity / thermal / smoke sensors,
  • wireless printer / scanner / FAX,
  • HVAC wireless automation controls (Nest),
  • alarm system wireless repeaters & sensors constantly pinging the base station (Ring, Simplisafe, ADT),
  • shielded commercial & home construction.
Seems to be a first world problem ?

For my setups to minimize interference, I tend to use wired devices, ethernet, disabled WiFi on my Macs, and for wireless devices remain within viewing distance (line of sight) to the WiFi routers.

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The M1 chipset, for all of its amazing features, has some major issues with Bluetooth, and Apple refuses to acknowledge it. Laggy mice, inconsistent AirPods connections, etc. It's really frustrating.

Firstly, Apple doesn't acknowledge stuff like this. It doesn't mean they aren't aware or working on the problem, but they don't give public statements, so the fact they haven't said anything about BT issues means nothing at all - not even that they refuse to acknowledge it.

Secondly, it is important that users who experience this problem (or any other), ensure that Apple know about it. Part of the process of resolving an issue is collecting data about it, and the more the better. If a user with a problem is near enough to an Apple store, return the item there and get it looked at, otherwise call Apple support - they are generally pretty good, and they do log calls and issues, and will escalate a problem if it looks significant or common.

Thirdly, call it luck or whatever, but I have not had any issues with BT on my 24-inch iMac or my M1 MBA, regardless of use of mice, keyboards or AirPods. A major issue would almost certainly have resulted in a lot of responses in this thread alone on the subject - making it all the more important for anyone experiencing it to make sure it is reported to Apple, because observationally it otherwise doesn't look like a significant issue at all, despite the obvious frustration a problem of this kind would cause to individual users experiencing it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Over the years I've come to this conclusion:
One should use bluetooth as little as possible, preferably not at all.

My other conclusions:
A keyboard is a device that should be WIRED.
Mouse -- wireless is ok, so long as it uses its own radio channel (as does Logitech), and NOT bt...

Reactions: AdamInKent

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I thought these issues would be ironed out on the M1 iMacs as it is the first genuinely from-the-ground up Apple silicon machine.

Just for the record: These Bluetooth issues were 1/1 the exact same on the Intel 2018 Mac minis and was also never addressed or fixed by Apple.

I know that the various wireless routers and modules that reside in something like an iPhone isn't the same as what's found in the mini or an iMac. But I can't quite grasp how almost flawless Bluetooth is on my iPhones and iPads compared to my M1 mini and my Intel mini.

Is Apple cutting corners with shielding because of device size or costs, or am I missing something entirely?

kharakhchai

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2021
I've been jumping through various hoops trying to figure out why my wife's M1 iMac has an intermittent Bluetooth keyboard connection, slowing down keyboard input to a snail's pace, which temporarily disappears on rebooting. Apple TS suggested removing third-party apps, which I did for those which are not running on my M1 iMac—but that didn't fix the problem. Per someone's suggestion above, I just turned off my wife's iPhone, which has been sitting next to her iMac. That seems to have cured the problem—God willing and the creek don't rise.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I've been jumping through various hoops trying to figure out why my wife's M1 iMac has an intermittent Bluetooth keyboard connection, slowing down keyboard input to a snail's pace, which temporarily disappears on rebooting. Apple TS suggested removing third-party apps, which I did for those which are not running on my M1 iMac—but that didn't fix the problem. Per someone's suggestion above, I just turned off my wife's iPhone, which has been sitting next to her iMac. That seems to have cured the problem—God willing and the creek don't rise.
I'm right there with you. I could copy your post word for word. The only difference is I haven't tried moving my wife's phone, and she's growing more and more frustrated by the day. It only seems to be happening on the login screen though, not during any other time she's using the machine. I would be over the moon if this was a software fix, and Apple just released an update to address.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Note: my 27" iMac Pro which sits in the same room about seven feet from her machine has never experienced this issue.

kharakhchai

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2021
I'm right there with you. I could copy your post word for word. The only difference is I haven't tried moving my wife's phone, and she's growing more and more frustrated by the day. It only seems to be happening on the login screen though, not during any other time she's using the machine. I would be over the moon if this was a software fix, and Apple just released an update to address.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Note: my 27" iMac Pro which sits in the same room about seven feet from her machine has never experienced this issue.
Apparently, God was not willing, because the problem is still with us. We're now running my wife's machine in Safe Mode and, so far, the problem has not reoccurred. I suppose, since seemingly all her apps are working normally in Safe Mode, we could just let it go at that. But I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this business, so I suppose the next step is to start temporarily uninstalling third-party apps, one at a time, waiting for a day or two after each to see if one of them has been causing the problem.

Reactions: TheRealTVGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.