Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy the 2021 MacBook Pro or wait for Face ID?

• Purchase current model

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Wait for Face ID

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
So I'm a proud owner of a 2012 MacBook Pro, looking to upgrade my machine, and I absolutely adore the latest Macbook Pros! Compared to the 2012 version, it's everything and more.The notch doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I'm honestly glad that the menu bar doesn't drop down on full screen apps anymore. I do a lot of H.265 video editing and encoding, so I'm thinking of spec'ing out the machine, as I did in 2012. Saves the hassle of having to sell & upgrade every few years. But, that means having to live with touch ID for the next decade or so.

I understand why Apple couldn't fit Face ID in it's current state - it's too deep for the lid. But based on Gruman's rumors, and the obvious fact that the MacBook Pros have a notch rather than a punch hole for the camera, it seems logical that Apple is planning to add more sensors to the area in future iternations - perhaps the sensors needed for Face ID.

So what would you do? Would you purchase the machine today? Or would wait another year or two for Face ID?

Many thanks for your advice!

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
So I'm a proud owner of a 2012 MacBook Pro, looking to upgrade my machine, and I absolutely adore the latest Macbook Pros! Compared to the 2012 version, it's everything and more.The notch doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I'm honestly glad that the menu bar doesn't drop down on full screen apps anymore. I do a lot of H.265 video editing and encoding, so I'm thinking of spec'ing out the machine, as I did in 2012. Saves the hassle of having to sell & upgrade every few years. But, that means having to live with touch ID for the next decade or so.

I understand why Apple couldn't fit Face ID in it's current state - it's too deep for the lid. But based on Gruman's rumors, and the obvious fact that the MacBook Pros have a notch rather than a punch hole for the camera, it seems logical that Apple is planning to add more sensors to the area in future iternations - perhaps the sensors needed for Face ID.

So what would you do? Would you purchase the machine today? Or would wait another year or two for Face ID?

Many thanks for your advice!
The rumors for Face ID to be included in the next iteration or beyond is speculation at this point. Apple may decide to never include that feature in future models. It seems from what you’ve said that the current models will suit your needs, so I would say go for it now.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I might wait several minutes to get Face ID. Never even use Touch ID anymore. But my machine isn't out in public.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
i dont like faceid. I much prefer touch ID. I mean, when i sitdown at my laptop and the screen is off or sleeping, you have to hit a key to wake it anyway - touch id wakes/logs in. I wish the iphones had touch id rather than face id.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.