Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everyone.
Happy christmas, for timexones where it's still the 25th!

While the colours look gorgeous, I noticed there's a problem with teh backlight of the macbook pro 16" I just purchased.
Basically whenever there's a stark change in lighting from one scene to the next, there's a split second where the illumination changes in a weird way.
I have the eye trained for motion, therefore I noticed it, however I'm not sure if my screen is faulty or if this is an unfortunate downside of the mini-LED technology; I'm faimilar with LED and OLED technology, but this is new stuff for me.

I tested with the "Tiny World" and "The Morning Show" shows.
You can see some examples I recorded in slow motion.
Check out when there's an edit.
I recorded it with the 240pfs slowmo option on my iphone.

Does this happen to you as well? I have searched the web but I cannot find anyone discussing this specific issue.
Thank you very much.

Look at the top portion of the blue sky, here:

Look at the flowers at the bottom left corner, here:

Look at the dirt in this scene:

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Looks like a combination of the backlight changing brightness, and overshooting the mark in some cases, such as where it's already brighter than the rest or will be brighter than the rest, and the color response time, which is slow.

Reactions: JippaLippa

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like a combination of the backlight changing brightness, and overshooting the mark in some cases, such as where it's already brighter than the rest or will be brighter than the rest, and the color response time, which is slow.
Thanks for the reply!
But I have decided to send the computer back.
The M1 max alone is not worth the 5K I paid (I'm not much of a laptop guy) and considering the fact most of the software I use will be fully optimized by spring, I'm getting a gaming PC for half the money and I'll work with it too in order to then buy a high end mac mini which equipped like the mbpro I got will cost 3K tops...hoping more like 2.5k

Reactions: Sanpete

Pertus

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I've noticed the same problem on my 2021 14" MBP. I've googled and found the thread on reddit where users talked about the same problem on iPad Pro mini-led, so I guess it's a mini-led thing, hopefully a software glitch that will be fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.