Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
For years I used the Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad with my 2015 MBP (15" and 13") in clamshell mode. These I think were first gen but not sure - they were what Apple was selling in 2015.

Now I have had several months with a 2021 MBP 14 Max with the current wireless keyboard (non finger reader) and Magic Trackpad.

The experience is far worse:
  • The previous keyboard and trackpad was available to use as soon as the login prompt appeared. Now it takes 5-10 seconds for the keyboard or pointer to b
  • ecome available after the login prompt.
  • The accuracy of the trackpad is worse.
  • The failure rate of the trackpad is worse - too often the pointer only moves to points on what looks like a 4x4 grid over the entire display, or doesn't move at all - all requiring a reboot. Switching the trackpad off/on causes a very slow reconnect. I do not remember any of these issues ever happening with the older trackpads ever.

I don't think this is related to the MBP being Apple Silicon or the MacOS being 12.3 and 12.4.

I considered whether the bluetooth chipset was worse - but actually the range and stability with my Bose bluetooth headphones has increased with the Apple Silicon laptop compared to the 2015 Intel MBP.

Have others seen this? Any causes identified?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.