Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Energybender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2023
I recently got a 2022 13 inch macbook pro with m2. If I put my hand on the laptop while it's charging I feel electricity. It is not there when it is not charging. I think it is caused by the two pin adaptor which lacks grounding so I wanted to buy a power adaptor extension cable.

However, when I looked at the list of models compatible with the cable on apple store, 2022 macbooks were not in the list while all others were. This one has a 67 watt adaptor with a usb-c to usb-c charging cable. Is there any reason for it to not be compatible with the 3-pin power cable or should I just get it?

Edit: Ok, will get it now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You Apple power adapter needs support duck head attachments as the Apple power extension cable use the duckhead connection.

Reactions: Energybender

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Yes, I’ve used the extension for years, no problem. As long as the AC part of the adapter can be removed, it works. Even Magsafe 1 and 2 power adapters work. AC isn’t very picky unlike DC where you have to have the “right” power adapter (But USB-C PD is now fairly universal). You can even use the international pins with the international kit and use a MacBook power adapter all over the world.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get the extension with the 3-pin grounded plug.
It will work.

For my 2021 MBP 14", I just expropriated the "extension" from another older power supply block. It worked, too.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I had the same issue as the OP with my old 16" 2019 MBP and with my 16" M3 Max. The remedy was the same for both: I removed the duckhead with no grounding from the power supply which came with the laptop, and replaced it with the duckhead and cord (with grounding) that came with my 2012 Macbook. Problem solved. Just for clarity, my laptops were used and purchased in the EU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.