Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Thanks, but I'm asking for the PCIE Expansion Slot Utility that shows you the PCIE lane usage between the 2 pools allocated. I've attached mine for reference.

I'm trying to see how much allocation a full PCIE 4.0 x16 card takes up in the new Mac Pro to better get a sense of how much bandwidth there really is for those 6 open slots in that machine.

View attachment 2223542

Here's mine!

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.40.17 AM.png

Reactions: elfamosisimoJON

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Wow does that mean after using 2 slots you cant use the other 5 as there is no more allocation. 100% Pool A and 88% pool B with just 2 cards. it might as well be a 2 slot PCIe board then.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Wow does that mean after using 2 slots you cant use the other 5 as there is no more allocation. 100% Pool A and 88% pool B with just 2 cards. it might as well be a 2 slot PCIe board then.
It’ll start sharing bandwidth (meaning it’ll slow down the SSD).

andrewmarich

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
I actually don’t even have the power plugged into the OWC enclosure.

I’ll turn istat on to monitor
I've been looking at the same product from OWC.

I was curious if they advise you in the instructions to plug in the power cable and if that would provide higher speeds?

Their website states "Beyond 26,000MB/s speed with PCIe Gen 4 systems"

Are you using RAID 0 or something else?

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I think it's just that he doesn't have anything else plugged into those slots. I'm not sure but I think the Mac Pro has a total of 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes with 16x in each block. You couldn't populate each slot and expect each card to have full bandwidth simultaneously, but 1 16x card and maybe 2 8x cards would probably be more than sufficient for many (though not all) use cases. If you move gen 3 PCIe cards over to a new Mac Pro, they would only run at gen 3 speeds anyway.

Reactions: wgr73

elfamosisimoJON

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2019
I think it's just that he doesn't have anything else plugged into those slots. I'm not sure but I think the Mac Pro has a total of 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes with 16x in each block. You couldn't populate each slot and expect each card to have full bandwidth simultaneously, but 1 16x card and maybe 2 8x cards would probably be more than sufficient for many (though not all) use cases. If you move gen 3 PCIe cards over to a new Mac Pro, they would only run at gen 3 speeds anyway.
exactly, people moving their pcie used in the 7,1 to the new Mac Pro should not have any problema at all.

Reactions: wgr73

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
so the power ports on the card is for the fans?
No changes to speed with power connected. Fans were actually coming on with PCIe slot power only. So this card is fully powered by the PCI slot. No need for power cable to the card

Reactions: flat4

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
Does anyone know if the Miron 7450 and 9400 series NVME u.3 work in the 2023 with the appropriate adapter?

The 9300 series worked perfectly in the 2019.

elfamosisimoJON

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2019
No changes to speed with power connected. Fans were actually coming on with PCIe slot power only. So this card is fully powered by the PCI slot. No need for power cable to the card
does the fan gets loud when stressing the card?

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020

The power cable is to supply power for the nvme drives in the event the pcie slot can’t provide the full 75W of spec’d power. Basically for PC’s

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
Hey guys!

I have my new M2 Ultra Mac Pro with only a 1 TB SSD.

I’m looking to add 4+TB in the PCIe slots

What do you recommend? I see OWC sells a few different setups (8TB setups are nice as well).

I’m not sure what all works in the new M2, but by the looks of it even the older 2019 PCIe stuff should work.

Am I missing something?

Not really looking to add the Apple 4TB NVME stuff

Edit: Ended up adding the 8TB setup from OWC! Love it. Blazing fast, faster than the onboard SSD!
I'm considering the OWC Accelsior 8M2. Did you not have to deal this issue: https://www.owc.com/blog/nvme-storage-issue-with-the-new-mac-studio-and-mac-pro-with-m2-chips ?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

Kind of sad that you have 6 slots but basically are limited to just one serious card. :( Showing one SSD card basically saturates the bus, and any further cards will deteriorate your SSD performance.
I wonder if you fill up the other 5 slots with say 4x cards (not crazy for many sound pros) and then keep the one x16 card for SSD, what your tests would be then.

My hope is while those cards are inert that you would still get full speed. But it's common for 2 or more of the other cards to be pulling in data (eg audio) and then I wonder what the Mac throughput of the SSD would be?

You need to balance that for it to work if you have real time acquisition concerns.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Kind of sad that you have 6 slots but basically are limited to just one serious card. :( Showing one SSD card basically saturates the bus, and any further cards will deteriorate your SSD performance.
I wonder if you fill up the other 5 slots with say 4x cards (not crazy for many sound pros) and then keep the one x16 card for SSD, what your tests would be then.

My hope is while those cards are inert that you would still get full speed. But it's common for 2 or more of the other cards to be pulling in data (eg audio) and then I wonder what the Mac throughput of the SSD would be?

You need to balance that for it to work if you have real time acquisition concerns.
Yeah, when I saw the new Mac Pro in the Apple Store the other week, the stock 1/O cards the come with the machine already take up 88% of one of the 2 PCIE pool allocations!

So one full x16 PCIE 4.0 card would pretty much saturate all the remaining bandwidth given it would take up 100% of Pool B. Crazy its that limited, given its 6 open slots.

• Angry
Reactions: HorstBockman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.