Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
So basically all they did was put the Mac studio guts into the Mac pro tower and added pcie slots? Nothing innovative?
That's what Mac Pro users wanted, right? Apple Silicon with PCIe slots.

2023 Mac Pro being M2 Ultra-only indicates that Apple does not see it selling as much as the higher volume Mac Studio.

The question now is, will the 2025 Mac Pro M3 Ultra appear by 2025?

Or will wait 4 years for a refresh?

Reactions: KeithBN

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I was expecting the MacPro to come in at $3,999 due to in house Apple Silicone. Ram at 192 is ridiculous. My current MacPro has more than that. I want to see pricing but it seems like Apple is charging three times the price for the same technology in a different form factor.

I just don't get it. Such smart people literally pushing away the pro clients with both hands.

Post Edit:

OK. There is a plus side, the totally spec'd out machine isn't $50K. Not even $20K. In fact, a totally maxed out MacPro is nearly half the price of my current model, which wasn't anywhere near maxed out. I don't require a large internal SSD as most of my files are stored on external RAID drives. The price difference between a MacPro and Apple Studio, for my needs, is around $3K or 50% more for the MacPro. That is certainly a lot, but not outrageous. The big question is what PCIe cards will be available for the machine. I definitely will need more Thunderbolt ports and I would for sure add a second (or third) internal HDD or SSD.

Still... 192 ram isn't cool, no PCIe GPU, no user-upgradable ram... This is a Studio with PCIe support.

Also, I'd be interested to know how many Thunderbolt buses are on each machine. My guess is the Studio has three and the Pro has four.

Last edited:

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
User-upgradable RAM, and user-upgradable graphics are worth more to a Mac Pro, than any performance advantage (real or not) of an SOC design. If you want an SOC, the Studio exists.
Looks like revenue related to those demands isn't sufficient to divert Apple's resources.

Those resources are better spent on something like a $3499 Apple Vision Pro.

• Haha
Reactions: East India Company

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
khbKArY.png

Reactions: dabotsonline

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Oh I haven’t checked the store, but did my prediction the base AS Mac Pro would cost more than the top Mac Studio (excluding ssd differences) play out?

• Angry
Reactions: G5isAlive

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
I'm digging it. I'm thinking of jumping in and selling the 2019 after I get the new one all set up. Sure, the non-upgradeability of the SoC bothers me. Specially the GPU. I can live with 192G of RAM as I haven't touched the RAM in the 2019 since purchasing it. But the AS chips for the workloads I do are quick. My employer-provided M1 fricken flies through things.

• Love
Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
storage and ram mark up is in sane.
at lest there is hope the storage can be upgraed like it can on the 2019 mac pro.
You will not like the Apple SSD kit price tags. I think 1TB is $1k.

Apple knows that the Mac Pro will sell that poorly as previous Mac Pro buyers do not want/need PCIe slots.

Those who wanted that expandability were riding on the economies of scale of those who had no choice but to buy an unwanted feature to get the most powerful Mac.

Now with the Mac Studio power users have a choice.

Serqetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2023
i hope that M2 Ultra has overclocked cores...otherwise...
If it did, I think they would have mentioned it. From what we saw I think we can safely assume there is no difference in performance between the new Mac Pro and the new Mac Studio.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm digging it. I'm thinking of jumping in and selling the 2019 after I get the new one all set up. Sure, the non-upgradeability of the SoC bothers me. Specially the GPU. I can live with 192G of RAM as I haven't touched the RAM in the 2019 since purchasing it. But the AS chips for the workloads I do are quick. My employer-provided M1 fricken flies through things.
Yea it‘s just really really sad about the GPU expandability. And with m3 looming in the horizon. We KNOW it will come sometimes next year, and probably will be in the Mac Pro by spring 2025 and that will be a massive upgrade over our 2019 machines. As it stands right now hm. For video editing and after effects work, this new machine will be a monster, no doubt, even last years Mac Studio smoked my 16c mac Pro in cpu tasks. Not so much in DaVinci Resolve when the GPUs came into play though.. I am tempted to go straight for a Mac Studio and to save some bucks, but then I loose my 10terabytes of internal super fast ssd storage which i bought for my current Mac Pro. If you upgrade the studio gen 2 to 8TB of storage the price gets ridiculous too - while the price for a Mac Pro is ridiculous in itself! What do you pay such a hefty premium for??? 11k for 1terabyte of storage, while you can get the exact same chip but with 8tb in the studio for more than 1000 € less?

Attachments

• 12C405B1-C82A-4EED-95FE-F423998BA42A.jpeg
    12C405B1-C82A-4EED-95FE-F423998BA42A.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 52

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
You will not like the Apple SSD kit price tags. I think 1TB is $1k.

Apple knows that the Mac Pro will sell that poorly as previous Mac Pro buyers do not want/need PCIe slots.

Those who wanted that expandability were riding on the economies of scale of those who had no choice but to buy an unwanted feature to get the most powerful Mac.

Now with the Mac Studio power users have a choice.
and the studio uses the same storage cards.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

bonshomme

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
France
On Apple's website, the Promise Pegasus J2i's page was updated to include the 2023 MP on it's compatibility list. But this is neither the case for any MPX GPUs nor the Apple Afterburner card. I guess this hints towards GPUs not being supported on top of not being mentioned during the WWDC and having less PCIe power connectors.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Yea it‘s just really really sad about the GPU expandability. And with m3 looming in the horizon. We KNOW it will come sometimes next year, and probably will be in the Mac Pro by spring 2025 and that will be a massive upgrade over our 2019 machines. As it stands right now hm. For video editing and after effects work, this new machine will be a monster, no doubt, even last years Mac Studio smoked my 16c mac Pro in cpu tasks. Not so much in DaVinci Resolve when the GPUs came into play though.. I am tempted to go straight for a Mac Studio and to save some bucks, but then I loose my 10terabytes of internal super fast ssd storage which i bought for my current Mac Pro. If you upgrade the studio gen 2 to 8TB of storage the price gets ridiculous too - while the price for a Mac Pro is ridiculous in itself! What do you pay such a hefty premium for??? 11k for 1terabyte of storage, while you can get the exact same chip but with 8tb in the studio for more than 1000 € less?
M3 Ultra will likely come out 19.5 months from today or by Q1 2025.

19.5 months is the time it took Apple to refresh from M1 (Nov 2020) to M2 (Jun 2022).

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
A maxed out Mac Studio is now just a better performance value vs the Mac Pro, priced both out and the difference was like $3k for the same spec.

The only advantage of the Mac Pro are the PCIe slots if you need them, otherwise the Mac Studio seems to be the way to go. I wonder if there are any new cards or other things to be expected of the pcie slots, otherwise...not much there unless you need the slots.

No GPU upgradability isn't great, either. Might as well get a small Mac Studio and strap a large TB external drive to it too.

Or I can just use the 2019 Mac Pro for its PCIe slots and connect the Mac Studio to it via TB, as a server, maybe that can work too. haha

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Yea it‘s just really really sad about the GPU expandability. And with m3 looming in the horizon. We KNOW it will come sometimes next year, and probably will be in the Mac Pro by spring 2025 and that will be a massive upgrade over our 2019 machines.

The next big thing is always around the corner. You can wait for it to show up, and then you'll realize that the next big thing will be there in another year or so. It never ends. You have to put your foot down and say, "I'm going to jump in. Today!" and deal with it.

Not so much in DaVinci Resolve when the GPUs came into play though..

Depends on what you're doing with those GPUs. More accurately what I mean is encoding and decoding h.26[4,5]. The AS will smoke the AMDs in the 2019 Mac Pros with that. To me, that's enough of a win right there.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
While I will wait for a bigger jump, I don't think it's disappointing at all considering someone who got say a 16-core xeon intel Mac pro could get a much faster silicon Mac Pro with a comparable amount of RAM, and PCI slots they need, for cheaper than the 2019 Mac Pro prices were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.