Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwestpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Has nobody tried to add a single 2T ssd to a single 2T instead of buying the 4T kit up front? I am surprised to not be able to find a youtube or other where someone just tried to test if this can work the same way as when buying the 4T 2x2T kit where you have to run the apple configuration and firmware from another machine linked up.

Before asking silly questions like why not just get the 4T up front, consider that someone may not have thought they'd ever need it or have found a 2T build on sale, used, refurb, etc. Hell, you might be able to buy a 1T, then source "take off" 2T's from people who had one but then replaced it with a 4 or 8 kit.

on apple website "
The Apple 2TB SSD Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro enables you to upgrade the internal SSD storage capacity of your Mac Pro. This kit, containing a single 2TB module, replaces the current SSD module or modules in your system. Installation required.
Note: Software reinstallation requires a second Mac running Apple Configurator 2 and a USB-C cable. Compatible with Mac Pro (2023)."

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Has nobody tried to add a single 2T ssd to a single 2T instead of buying the 4T kit up front? I am surprised to not be able to find a youtube or other where someone just tried to test if this can work the same way as when buying the 4T 2x2T kit where you have to run the apple configuration and firmware from another machine linked up.

Before asking silly questions like why not just get the 4T up front, consider that someone may not have thought they'd ever need it or have found a 2T build on sale, used, refurb, etc. Hell, you might be able to buy a 1T, then source "take off" 2T's from people who had one but then replaced it with a 4 or 8 kit.

When you have two modules, it's a pair of different modules. You can't add two type 1 modules, needs to be a pair of 1 and 2 NAND modules. See the photos.

https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple...144&hei=1144&fmt=jpeg&qlt=90&.v=1684957220116

jwestpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
There is no 2T single NAND module. It's a pair of 1T NAND modules and the module 1 is different from module 2.
wrong. this is shown as a single 2T on apple website:
"
The Apple 2TB SSD Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro enables you to upgrade the internal SSD storage capacity of your Mac Pro. This kit, containing a single 2TB module, replaces the current SSD module or modules in your system. Installation required.
Note: Software reinstallation requires a second Mac running Apple Configurator 2 and a USB-C cable. Compatible with Mac Pro (2023)."

please delete your reply as it only confuses the topic. i will edit my original to include the proof

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
wrong. this is shown as a single 2T on apple website:
"

I've edited my post to express correctly. Please re-read it.

Reactions: jwestpro

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
i can see how one might presume that idea but nowhere is it specified and nobody at apple seems to know either LOL

It's the same way since the iMac Pro. People tested this over the years and with iMac Pro or 2019 Mac Pro, you can't use two type 1 NAND modules as a pair.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
How hard would it have been for apple to simply make it clear with actual words ?;-)

Only Apple can answer that.

Btw, over the years the consensus is that Apple did it this way so you can't buy a used module and make a pair - exactly what you intend to do. You shouldn't make a pair with dissimilar wear, any problems with the NAND modules and the Mac Pro is a brick - the Mac Pro firmware is stored inside the NAND modules.

jwestpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Only Apple can answer that.

Btw, over the years the consensus is that Apple did it this way so you can't buy a used module and make a pair - exactly what you intend to do. You shouldn't make a pair with dissimilar wear, any problems with the NAND modules and the Mac Pro is a brick - the Mac Pro firmware is stored inside the NAND modules.
Thanks for the input. I can understand some of that. I have "been with apple" computers since starting my biz in 1998 and have had several iterations of MBP always maxed out and 3 mac pro starting with the G5 era and still using my fully decked out 5.1 which is only finally falling behind in photography purposes due to being too slow in Topaz sharpening or not new enough OS for latest Adobe PS etc. I'm not interested in the aftermarket ways of running current OS because the M1 max MBP does things like the topaz sharpen in litterally seconds while the 5.1 12 core 3.46 with 128 ram on a pci card ssd still takes 20 minutes !

So, I'm going with a 2023 mac pro which ought to be fine for another 10+ yrs. Thanks for your help !!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
…the M1 max MBP does things like the topaz sharpen in litterally seconds while the 5.1 12 core 3.46 with 128 ram on a pci card ssd still takes 20 minutes !

So, I'm going with a 2023 mac pro which ought to be fine for another 10+ yrs. Thanks for your help !!
Are you going to be using PCIe cards? If not, the Mac Pro offers no performance advantage at all over the Mac Studio but brings a significantly higher purchase price.

Reactions: splifingate

jwestpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Are you going to be using PCIe cards? If not, the Mac Pro offers no performance advantage at all over the Mac Studio but brings a significantly higher purchase price.
I am well aware and will have 2 pci slots filled on the day of arrival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.