Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! The goal of this project is to get you out with your camera once a week and to advance your photography techniques. All skill levels and cameras are welcome, but if you have a real camera, I highly recommend that you use that over a phone. That said, the best camera is the one you have with you, so use whatever you have available.

I have some guidelines for everyone, but only a couple of hard and fast rules.

The rules are as follows:

1. All work must be your own.
  2. All images must be safe for work.
  3. All images must be taken between December 26, 2022 and December 31, 2023 (ideally starting on January 1, 2023, but I know some people like to plan ahead).
  4. Do not critique someone’s image or use them as a reference, unless they have requested CC (constructive criticism). If you have a question, please tag me and I will help you. Positive comments are always welcomed.
  5. You may ask for CC if you wish; please mark your photo explicitly if you’d like people to critique.

Guidelines:

1. Each week is assigned a theme. I worked hard to come up with themes that both challenge you to think outside the box at times, but are easily achievable with any camera (including a phone). If you do not like a given week’s theme, feel free to choose from the alternate list, or just shoot whatever you like that week. You do NOT need to use each theme if you don’t want to. However, I’d encourage you to at least consider each week’s theme, especially if it is hard….you will grow more by working through the difficult weeks.
  2. You may post up to five images per week if you really want to work through the theme. Please only ask for CC on one image per week.
  3. I will post a weekly thread for each theme. Even if you are shooting off list, please share your image in the relevant week. Threads will be posted Monday each week, except for the first week, which will start on Sunday.
  4. To the extent I am able, I will provide sample images for all themes, as well as a discussion. I will not provide samples for alternate themes, but if you need some help, tag me and I'll get you going with the concept.

Themes are as follows. I will update this thread weekly with links to each week's post.

DateWeekThemeDateWeekThemeAlternates
January 1, 20231Low LightJuly 2, 202327Pocket of LightSquare crop
January 8, 20232Shallow DOFJuly 9, 202328AnimalsFlat lay
January 15, 20233WaterJuly 16, 202329Center CompositionStreet
January 22, 20234EverydayJuly 23, 202330Around the HouseMonochromatic
January 29, 20235LayersJuly 30, 202331FoodBased on a quote
February 5, 20236Self PortraitAugust 6, 202332Long ExposureWeather
February 12, 20237Negative SpaceAugust 13, 202333Sunset/SunriseSeason
February 19, 20238Fill the FrameAugust 20, 202334From where I standHoliday
February 26, 20239Macro/Close UpAugust 27, 202335DiptychSilhouette
March 5, 202310ShadowsSeptember 3, 202336NeighborhoodGolden hour
March 12, 202311PanoramaSeptember 10, 202337Wide angleBlue hour
March 19, 202312Black & WhiteSeptember 17, 202338Juxtaposition/ContrastArchitecture
March 26, 202313FramingSeptember 24, 202339WindowsBacklight
April 2, 202314MorningOctober 1, 202340OutdoorsNight scene
April 9, 202315NatureOctober 8, 202341SunburstFreelensing
April 16, 202316DetailsOctober 15, 202342TreesLooking up
April 23, 202317TextureOctober 22, 202343Vertical orientationSymmetry
April 30, 202318NewOctober 29, 202344Alternate camera (iPhone)Astrophotography
May 7, 202319Window lightNovember 5, 202345Abstract/Out of FocusUnderwater
May 14, 202320Flowers/plantsNovember 12, 202346Artificial LightEnvironmental Portrait
May 21, 202321Rule of ThirdsNovember 19, 202347ThankfulTwo
May 28, 202322EveningNovember 26, 202348Color TheoryCelebration
June 4, 202323MovementDecember 3, 202349FavoriteMultiple exposure
June 11, 202324Full SunDecember 10, 202350BokehFrom above
June 18, 202325ReflectionDecember 17, 202351QuietCreative crop
June 25, 202326Leading LinesDecember 24, 202352Photographer's ChoicePrinted photos

Looking forward to this project with you all, and we will get started on Sunday, January 1, 2023.

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Threads will be posted Monday each week, except for the first week, which will start on Sunday.
Great of you to set it all up! I hope I like the themes, and won't get frustrated 😉

Quick question: the themes start in a new post on Mondays, but the dates start at a Sunday. Does that mean we can shoot a theme on a Sunday and post it the following day?

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Great of you to set it all up! I hope I like the themes, and won't get frustrated 😉

Quick question: the themes start in a new post on Mondays, but the dates start at a Sunday. Does that mean we can shoot a theme on a Sunday and post it the following day?
I have no authority, but I say yes. Why not. It's a friendly contest to fire up our photography and not a religious ceremony.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
I have no authority, but I say yes. Why not. It's a friendly contest to fire up our photography and not a religious ceremony.
Ah, well, obviously no hell and fury over here. Though I was a bit scared of being admonished for quoting a post in the contest thread the other day ;-)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

You can do it whichever way you want. 🙂 Some people might need two weekend days to capture a single theme if they are busy at work during the week, and others might want to run their weeks Sunday to Saturday.

Logistically it is easier for me to post threads on Monday when my family is off at work/school, and weekends are often reserved for family time. Also, my head works on a Monday to Sunday calendar.

Again, this project is designed to get you behind the camera once a week and think about your end result, rather than just snapping away mindlessly. Other than the specific things mentioned in the rules, make the project yours in a way that makes it easy to work on and complete.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m not sure I will participate but I just wanted to say, this are great initiatives that build great communities.

I have a couple of questions, tho: 1) Do you have to participate on all the week/themes? Or I could join on February/March/June?

2) How do the alternative themes work? Do they have their own thread? Only weeks 27 to 52 have an alternate theme?

If/when I finally get a new iPhone, this seems like a good excuse to go out and think about making some great photos.

Thank you Molly.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I’m not sure I will participate but I just wanted to say, this are great initiatives that build great communities.

I have a couple of questions, tho: 1) Do you have to participate on all the week/themes? Or I could join on February/March/June?

2) How do the alternative themes work? Do they have their own thread? Only weeks 27 to 52 have an alternate theme?

If/when I finally get a new iPhone, this seems like a good excuse to go out and think about making some great photos.

Thank you Molly.

1. you can join whenever you want and do as many weeks as you want. 🙂

2. there are three “columns:” the first 26 weeks, the second 26 weeks, and 26 alternates. you are not obligated to stay on theme, so you can join whatever relevant week number/date you are working on. themes are merely suggestions to help people who want a structure. 🙂

let me know if that doesn’t clear things up.

Reactions: Populus

SFB_Photo

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
I have gotten into weekly challenges in the past and always get super busy and fall out of my grove. I'm really hoping to be successful because this looks fun. I love feedback too so feel free to give it...strengths/opportunities. I take it all in.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thank you Molly! I wasn't certain about whether I could complete 52 weeks but you've put a lot of thought and time into creating these interesting themes and I'm going to see how many I can do.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
A little clarification on Rule 3, please. While the overall goal is to "get you out with your camera once a week and to advance your photography techniques" Rule 3 requires that photos be taken "between December 26, 2022 and December 31, 2023." Does that mean that a growing pool of photos to be used during the year? For example, the September 3rd theme of "Neighborhood" could actually have been taken in March? Or does the "get out with your camera" with focusing on the theme apply, and the actual image more recent, like taken the week prior or the current week?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
A little clarification on Rule 3, please. While the overall goal is to "get you out with your camera once a week and to advance your photography techniques" Rule 3 requires that photos be taken "between December 26, 2022 and December 31, 2023." Does that mean that a growing pool of photos to be used during the year? For example, the September 3rd theme of "Neighborhood" could actually have been taken in March? Or does the "get out with your camera" with focusing on the theme apply, and the actual image more recent, like taken the week prior or the current week?

Rule 3 is to prevent people from combing their archives just to "hit the theme." For this project, taking any new photo is better than trawling through old photos (as is often done for the weekly challenge and the association thread).

I set the beginning date to December 26, as that was when the themes were released, and given that the first week is low light, I thought some might want to experiment with holiday lighting, etc. this week, or while they are still home from work. It's really just a "grace period" to help people get started.

I'd prefer people not really work ahead but everyone is free to approach this the way they want. If you are on vacation and an "in the future" theme really works at your location, then just swap themes that week. I'm not actually going to be checking exif and disqualifying people. 🙂 If you know you are going to have a really busy month and have the opportunity to take a couple extra themes on an outing, then go right ahead - you will still be photographing and thinking in a deliberate manner, and then post them for the appropriate week. Just don't post in a week where you don't have anything shot FOR that theme OR that isn't new....no true archive photos.

I do really want people to take one photo a week, but I understand that life gets in the way of using a camera regularly at times, so do what you need to.

Does that help?

(I was also trying not to have a rule book as long as the one for Settlers of Catan.... 😉 bottom line: use your camera once a week and share a photo from that week.)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Rule 3 is to prevent people from combing their archives just to "hit the theme." For this project, taking any new photo is better than trawling through old photos (as is often done for the weekly challenge and the association thread).

I set the beginning date to December 26, as that was when the themes were released, and given that the first week is low light, I thought some might want to experiment with holiday lighting, etc. this week, or while they are still home from work. It's really just a "grace period" to help people get started.

I'd prefer people not really work ahead but everyone is free to approach this the way they want. If you are on vacation and an "in the future" theme really works at your location, then just swap themes that week. I'm not actually going to be checking exif and disqualifying people. 🙂 If you know you are going to have a really busy month and have the opportunity to take a couple extra themes on an outing, then go right ahead - you will still be photographing and thinking in a deliberate manner, and then post them for the appropriate week. Just don't post in a week where you don't have anything shot FOR that theme OR that isn't new....no true archive photos.

I do really want people to take one photo a week, but I understand that life gets in the way of using a camera regularly at times, so do what you need to.

Does that help?

(I was also trying not to have a rule book as long as the one for Settlers of Catan.... 😉 bottom line: use your camera once a week and share a photo from that week.)
Sounds like a sensible approach.

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
Before posting my first photo, I‘d like to ask if we should include metadata/exif data within the photographs? Or is it sufficient if we write the camera and camera settings in the post?

I usually remove these kind of information before uploading to the internet. I, however, realise, that it might make sense to include such information in this kind of photography related thread.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Before posting my first photo, I‘d like to ask if we should include metadata/exif data within the photographs? Or is it sufficient if we write the camera and camera settings in the post?

I usually remove these kind of information before uploading to the internet. I, however, realise, that it might make sense to include such information in this kind of photography related thread.
as long as you type the settings you can strip exif. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
How do I post? I have only my LG Q7+ smart phone at present. I download to my laptop and sometimes publish on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bright_crow/. Should my files be full-sized or downsized for the Web (1024px)? Thanks.
You'll post your photos in each relevant weekly thread. You can find this week here (weeks will be linked in the chart above as they are posted).

You can link directly from Flickr if you want, or upload directly to MR. If you do upload from here just use the Attach files button underneath the reply area box. I'm not sure what MR's max file limit is, but I typically resize to 2048px wide.

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
You'll post your photos in each relevant weekly thread. You can find this week here (weeks will be linked in the chart above as they are posted).

You can link directly from Flickr if you want, or upload directly to MR. If you do upload from here just use the Attach files button underneath the reply area box. I'm not sure what MR's max file limit is, but I typically resize to 2048px wide.
Thanks very much for the information.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States

@mollyc interesting forum project. I clicked on the link provided and reached a forum from 2001 relating to Apples New iPhone.

Reactions: AppleKarma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.