Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
The McLaren MP4/4 was violent indeed. Senna still made it sing.

It was actually not that violent, the power was way reduced compared to the 1986 turbo cars where you could expect a Honda powered machine up at 1380hp for qualifying and a BMW powered Brabham or Benetton to have 1450hp+ (which was the limit of what BMW could measure from that 4 cylinder).

The Renault and TAG-Turbo engines both something around 1250hp. In the race they could all do something around 850-900hp. After 1986 the rule-makers started to put the brakes on the turbocharged power war.

For me, watching the 1986 turbo cars at Adelaide in qualifying coming out of the slow corners with very sudden oversteer and big lines left on the road. They looked scary. They even sounded mean as well.

In Sydney a few years ago there was a 1986 Benetton B186 BMW for sale in a car dealer.

That said, the MP4/4 was a benchmark car from Steve Nichols and his team. There is a great video of Steve and Neil Trundle giving a close overview and technical tour of the MP4/4:

That is the 1998 15/16 winning car!

I think you'll love that. I could listen to them for hours and hours. Brilliant engineers, good people in control of the team to make sure the right resources were available and the drivers, Prost and Senna, who better. Both of them brilliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It was actually not that violent, the power was way reduced compared to the 1986 turbo cars where you could expect a Honda powered machine up at 1380hp for qualifying and a BMW powered Brabham or Benetton to have 1450hp+ (which was the limit of what BMW could measure from that 4 cylinder).

The Renault and TAG-Turbo engines both something around 1250hp. In the race they could all do something around 850-900hp. After 1986 the rule-makers started to put the brakes on the turbocharged power war.

For me, watching the 1986 turbo cars at Adelaide in qualifying coming out of the slow corners with very sudden oversteer and big lines left on the road. They looked scary. They even sounded mean as well.

In Sydney a few years ago there was a 1986 Benetton B186 BMW for sale in a car dealer.

That said, the MP4/4 was a benchmark car from Steve Nichols and his team. There is a great video of Steve and Neil Trundle giving a close overview and technical tour of the MP4/4:

That is the 1998 15/16 winning car!

I think you'll love that. I could listen to them for hours and hours. Brilliant engineers, good people in control of the team to make sure the right resources were available and the drivers, Prost and Senna, who better. Both of them brilliant.

Thank you for sharing. 👍

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So, Fernando has re-signed with AMR. Max is not leaving. Mercedes looks like they want to bring Antonelli on for 2025.

If Sergio keeps up the pace where does that leave Carlos? Sauber or Audi?

Other?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I guess his only real option would be Sauber/Audi unless Aston tosses Lance.

It would be titanic for Papa Stroll to move Lance. I‘ve been hoping for a Carlos/Fred AMR for 25/26. I truly believe it could bear tremendous results.

I guess we wait. Everything should happen quickly now. There is still a loud camp that believes Carlos is going to Mercedes. It’s hard to tell with Toto. He is a master orator. I think they want Antonelli in to get him ready for 2026, and reduce cap costs for 2025.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
wow

Poor Carlos.
yup, I was thinking that. It is funny how it goes, one of the best drivers around but due to musical chairs he may not actually be able to get a top seat. LOL And all for Lewis Hamilton who used to be undoubtedly a fantastic driver but hasn't performed these last three seasons at all. Madness.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Why? He should be pissed at Fernando, Bottas, Lewis, for staying long past their bed time.. Really we have 40 drivers ready in F2/F3 and 99% of them will never have the chance, Lewis and Fernando will be driving in F1 whilst age qualified for pensioner rate bus passes.. Send the old age pensioners home to knit scarves and underwear for the grand kids..

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why? He should be pissed at Fernando, Bottas, Lewis, for staying long past their bed time.. Really we have 40 drivers ready in F2/F3 and 99% of them will never have the chance, Lewis and Fernando will be driving in F1 whilst age qualified for pensioner rate bus passes.. Send the old age pensioners home to knit scarves and underwear for the grand kids..

An hour since you posted this and you haven’t had any snappers on the line. Disappointed?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
wow

Poor Carlos.
There is some talk of Lance going to Aston Martins hypercar project, so an opening could come up next to Fernando potentially. There will come a point where pressure from thre board could overrule Lawrence and his loyalty to his son and Lance has given off the vibe its more his fathers dream than his own.

I think its amazing that Fernando is potentially going to be 46 years old and still racing at the very top of motorsport and making drivers half his age look average. That is testament to his commitment to the sport and his fitness. He really deserves to be considered one of the best drivers in the history of the sport in my opinion. His experience is exactly what Aston Martin need too to produce a better car.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
An hour since you posted this and you haven’t had any snappers on the line. Disappointed?
Yeah, in the FIA, being so full of old men that really should be asleep in bed.. Tired of watching old age pensioners trying to relive the good old days, taking up space for real drivers, and come on, even in a 1 car race, Lewis Bottas, Fernando are not going to win...

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Mid 30's is time to take up a new career, as good as the pensioners are, they are never going to be as great as a 18 or 19 yr old, they don't have the stamina, the resources to cope with the ever increasing load on the drivers, seriously, you put Max and Lewis/Alonso into 3 identical RB cars, over a full season, Lewis and Alonso would never come close to lapping Max, but a younger 20 yr old driver from F2 would maybe even lap Max, there is a reason we have age limits for all sorts of things, F1 should age limit out at 32.. If for no other reason, give the 18 to 20 yr olds a chance.. The 32 yr olds can go and race e prix, in the states, in the Dakar, sims, but not f1..

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Mid 30's is time to take up a new career, as good as the pensioners are, they are never going to be as great as a 18 or 19 yr old, they don't have the stamina, the resources to cope with the ever increasing load on the drivers, seriously, you put Max and Lewis/Alonso into 3 identical RB cars, over a full season, Lewis and Alonso would never come close to lapping Max, but a younger 20 yr old driver from F2 would maybe even lap Max, there is a reason we have age limits for all sorts of things, F1 should age limit out at 32.. If for no other reason, give the 18 to 20 yr olds a chance.. The 32 yr olds can go and race e prix, in the states, in the Dakar, sims, but not f1..
I prefer Badminton house to Chatsworth personally, although in the cold light of day SolidWorks is a much more usuable package than Radan. It depends if someone prefers the sun or colder climates in order for any of that sort of thing to be viable.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
There is some talk of Lance going to Aston Martins hypercar project, so an opening could come up next to Fernando potentially. There will come a point where pressure from thre board could overrule Lawrence and his loyalty to his son and Lance has given off the vibe its more his fathers dream than his own.

I think its amazing that Fernando is potentially going to be 46 years old and still racing at the very top of motorsport and making drivers half his age look average. That is testament to his commitment to the sport and his fitness. He really deserves to be considered one of the best drivers in the history of the sport in my opinion. His experience is exactly what Aston Martin need too to produce a better car.

I’ve read this as well. I believe the BOD has the influence to make this happen. I’d love to see Carlos and Fred at AMR. Mercedes is still the unknown. How serious is Toto with Antonelli in 2025?

IMG_0922.jpeg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I just do not see Toto risking losing Antonelli like he did with Verstappen. If Lewis had stayed with Mercedes, Antonelli would have replaced Sargeant at Williams, but with the seat open, why not park him there now and give him a year to get up to speed and be fully ready for the 2026 car and rules?

Yes, Mercedes could still work a deal to replace Sargeant with Antonelli and then sign Sainz for two years with options and move Antonelli up later, but what if Christian comes a calling with the same offer he made Max? One year at VCARB and then Red Bull in 2026? I know which offer I would take if I was Antonelli.

As for Lance, I remain unconvinced he really wants to be in F1. It seems to be more a "daddy wants" situation from what I have read. But if Daddy is serious about making AMF1 a contender, Lance cannot be in that second seat. Moving Lance off to the WEC would free up the seat for Sainz and also keep Lance in a top-tier level of motorsport.

And lots of double-header and triple-headers for 2025.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I just do not see Toto risking losing Antonelli like he did with Verstappen. If Lewis had stayed with Mercedes, Antonelli would have replaced Sargeant at Williams, but with the seat open, why not park him there now and give him a year to get up to speed and be fully ready for the 2026 car and rules?

Yes, Mercedes could still work a deal to replace Sargeant with Antonelli and then sign Sainz for two years with options and move Antonelli up later, but what if Christian comes a calling with the same offer he made Max? One year at VCARB and then Red Bull in 2026? I know which offer I would take if I was Antonelli.

As for Lance, I remain unconvinced he really wants to be in F1. It seems to be more a "daddy wants" situation from what I have read. But if Daddy is serious about making AMF1 a contender, Lance cannot be in that second seat. Moving Lance off to the WEC would free up the seat for Sainz and also keep Lance in a top-tier level of motorsport.

And lots of double-header and triple-headers for 2025.

I agree the “Risk Factor” will be on Toto’s mind. Verstappen 2.0 would be unpleasant at a minimum.

Cannot vouch for the veracity of this information (the image is a PhotoShop job), but La Gazzetta dello Sport and Corriere della Sera have both run articles saying Sainz and Mercedes have been in discussions about a possible contract.

I read this as well. Thompson is highly placed from past reports. I’m still hoping for Carlos at AMR, however, Dad seems to want to keep Lance at this point. Sooooo…. 😩

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I agree the “Risk Factor” will be on Toto’s mind. Verstappen 2.0 would be unpleasant at a minimum.

I read this as well. Thompson is highly placed from past reports. I’m still hoping for Carlos at AMR, however, Dad seems to want to keep Lance at this point. Sooooo…. 😩
AMR would be worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.