Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Alpha Tauri has formally changed their name to...

...the Visa Cash App RB Team.

Internally known as "VCARB", they will have their formal car launch in, where else, Las Vegas on 8 February. Alpha Tauri first met VISA as a potential sponsor at the Las Vegas Grand Prix, so maybe it's fitting, after all.

VISA has signed as a global sponsor for both Red Bull teams, so their logo will also appear on the RB20.

I'm sorry, but Visa Cash App RB Team is just off the edge.....

Reactions: Don Quixote

targa88

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2021
FOM is heading in the wrong direction - the constant search for $$$$.
Too many races, trying to find new venues that are just not what it use to be..
Maybe as a function of age - racing on an old school track (whichever: Silverstone, Monza, etc) doesn't pay enough.
Monaco notwithstanding it's legacy(since 1950) was never an exciting race following qualifying....
Seven street tracks...will only increase over time

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Alpha Tauri has formally changed their name to...

...the Visa Cash App RB Team.

Internally known as "VCARB", they will have their formal car launch in, where else, Las Vegas on 8 February. Alpha Tauri first met VISA as a potential sponsor at the Las Vegas Grand Prix, so maybe it's fitting, after all.

VISA has signed as a global sponsor for both Red Bull teams, so their logo will also appear on the RB20.
Brings back memories of the Mastercard Lola team that entered only one race, the 1997 Australian GP, but failed to qualify by finishing 11 seconds (!) behind Jacques Villeneuve's pole time.

1997-mastercard-lola-t97-30.jpg

Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It's just going to be called Racing Bulls though right, not actually Visa etc etc.

No, the official team name will be Visa Cash App RB Team.

Not sure if "Racing Bulls" was ever seriously considered by management or was just something rumored by the F1 media.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
No, the official team name will be Visa Cash App RB Team.

Not sure if "Racing Bulls" was ever seriously considered by management or was just something rumored by the F1 media.
I read somewhere that was what RB stood for but that might be false info.

I’m now in between calling it Visa CashGrab or just mostly ignoring the team like last season.

m..

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
Vcarb works for me but commentators would have to explain it every race, I expect they will go with RB, although that not great either.

If they are having a bad season we could always call them Crash App

• Haha
Reactions: Don Quixote

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Vcarb works for me but commentators would have to explain it every race, I expect they will go with RB, although that not great either.

If they are having a bad season we could always call them Crash App
if?

When...

• Haha
Reactions: m..

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Street Circuit would be more likely. NASCAR's street race in 2023 was evidently a strong success, though that circuit layout would not suit F1.

That being said, I see this more as securing some IP* and not a strong sign that the US would be getting a fourth race (or that Austin would drop in favor of Chicago) in the near future. F1 had filed TMs for Miami, Las Vegas and New York in the past and only two of those made it to the Calendar.

The current Concorde Agreement caps the number of races annually at 24 and I do not see that number going up with the next Agreement. If anything, it might go down considering the strain 23 races put on the teams in 2023.

* - CART called their 1999-2002 races the "Chicago Grand Prix" and "Grand Prix of Chicago".

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Andretti and GM’s bid to become the 11th team from 2025 has been denied.

While the team's application for the 2026 season has been denied, F1 did say they would reconsider an entry for the 2028 season once GM has their own powerplant in place (as opposed to entering in 2026 with a customer Renault engine and then moving to a Cadillac engine in 2028).

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
While the team's application for the 2026 season has been denied, F1 did say they would reconsider an entry for the 2028 season once GM has their own powerplant in place (as opposed to entering in 2026 with a customer Renault engine and then moving to a Cadillac engine in 2028).

By 2028 I expect a lot to change in F1. Who knows what teams might have decided to pull out. With the change to mainstream EV’s I can see less F1 desire from the car manufacturers. We will see.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I really hope Lewis doesn't go to Ferrari but understand he might want them on his CV before he retires. He best get a championship at Mercedes in the next year as that won't be happening at the Scuderia any time soon. I'd never cheer for a Ferrari either.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I really hope Lewis doesn't go to Ferrari but understand he might want them on his CV before he retires. He best get a championship at Mercedes in the next year as that won't be happening at the Scuderia any time soon. I'd never cheer for a Ferrari either.

If he’s off to Ferrari then Mercedes would make George the number one driver (well I would!).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If he’s off to Ferrari then Mercedes would make George the number one driver (well I would!).
I wonder who will partner him if he does? A lot of suggestions are placing Ocon there due to his history working with Mercedes. Not sure about that as he's being shown up by Gasly at Alpine. I wonder if Lando is regretting his decision now as Mercedes now have Allison back at the design helm and have potential to be challenging again soon?

Makes sense now why Carlos was only given a year contract, but he has had a tough time at Ferrari despite winning twice.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I think Ferrari is making a big mistake letting go of Carlos. Sure Lewis Hamilton ended up in third place, can't see he would have managed to do that in a Ferrari although I do like supporting Ferrari.

Now what would have been fun is if he replaced Sergio, that way we'd see some more competition, fighting, and gives Lewis a chance to become 8 time world champion. But as I understand his salary demands are silly for someone who hasn't really won a race for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.