Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The last time I sold my phone with a year of Applecare still left on it I contacted Apple and they refunded the unused portion. My phone has been replaced a couple of times. Other than the problem of scheduling an appointment with the genius bar I just walked in and they replaced my phone with an exact duplicate. I don't think this will work if you have to have a repair or replacement phone. As I recollect the replacement cost was listed as $250, which would wipe out any Applecare credit.

As for insurance AT&T would charge me $8 a month for my 7+ 256 GB with a $299 deductible. With a $969 list price that means you would recover $670 if you have a total loss. If you lost two phones in 1 year the numbers get worse. With a total device value of $1938, they would only replace $1500 of that. This might not be an issue, of course, if your phone has a lower list price. Screen repair is only done in select locations, with a declining deductible, whatever that means.

The replacement may be "certified like-new", or other models of like kind and quality. Colors, features aren't guaranteed.

That means you have to trust AT&T a lot. Maybe folks who have had replacements can comment on their experiences.

Applecare covers an "accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device". It does not cover theft, wear & tear, cosmetic damage, etc. Service fee is $29 for a screen or $99 for the phone. The contract is much simpler, with less "gotchas" than the AT&T contract. But your carrier's contract might be different.

So it boils down to your own personal concerns. If you tend to loose things a lot or theft is a real concern then what do you calculate to be the odds of it happening in a year? 90%? 50%? With high numbers a full replacement contract might be useful. If your estimate is 10% or less then a contract likely would not be worth it.

Since I am relatively careful for me Applecare has met all my needs, and you get free technical support. A full replacement contract would be just throwing away money.

I would recommend a good screen protector and case though. If you are selling the phone you want the screen to be as good as new. I have dropped my phone multiple times, and luckily it has hit on the edge of my Apple case so there has never been any damage. The phones are rather robust, but if it drops on the edge of the table hitting the the screen ....

Last edited:
Reactions: borgsauce

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You can purchase AC+ online but it needs to pass a diagnostic test. They don't care about any cosmetic issues since AC+ doesn't cover them anyway. I can't speak for Dubai but in the US I didn't need any kind of visual inspection, it was all done online with an automated system.

Reactions: borgsauce

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Have a Jet Black iPhone 7. Bought the leather case, but decided to go with AC+ instead. If, in a year, it's in rough shape, I'll just pay the $130 for a new one... a case is basically 40% of that anyway.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If I ended up damaging my phone beyond simple repair within 60days, could I still apply for the AC+ online? Would they still request that I visit an Apple store to inspect my device?

The price of insurance is based upon the fact that most people will not use it. I haven't tried it, but I would expect that their online diagnostic would be tied to the serial number and the required pictures as well. If the phone is damaged they would likely deny you AppleCare. Maybe there would be a way to get around it. Someone else who has actually done it might comment.

If you purchase Applecare at the 60th day, would you get coverage for 2 years from that date, giving you 2 years 60 days total coverage? Likely not, but it is a possibility that you might check

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.