Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyirish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
LA
I have a 20G ipod for a mac and was planning on giving it to my father, does anyone know if it is capable of working with windows if i give him the software that comes with a windows version iPod (ituens for windows) or is the software on the ipod itself, and if so can this be changed? Thank you for any knowledge or help

irish

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
it will work. although i do not reccomend giving him musicmatch, its had awful problems. go get ephpod from http://www.ephpod.com. but he will have to format his HD to windows so you will lose all the songs on the ipod.

iJon

johnnyirish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
LA
20 gig mac iPod for windows

thank you iJoh for the help and advice on the software to use, but do you know if i am able to get my fater a fire wire card for his PC so he can connect the iPod, and also is it easy to re-format the iPod to windows....it's ok if the songs get deleted he hates my taste anyhow....haha

thank you

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you just, as long as he has a free pci slot in his computer. just go to best buy or something and pick one up, they should have one.

iJon

johnnyirish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
LA

thanks iJon, i will tell him to get a fire wire card, the seem pretty cheap, but do you know how to re-format the iPod, or is it pretty basic and start to do so when he first plugs it in? sorry for all the questioins....thanks again

John

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: 20 gig mac iPod for windows

Originally posted by johnnyirish
thanks iJon, i will tell him to get a fire wire card, the seem pretty cheap, but do you know how to re-format the iPod, or is it pretty basic and start to do so when he first plugs it in? sorry for all the questioins....thanks again

John
just install the ipod software and it will format it automatically. simple as that.

iJon

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Be careful...with the old iPods you couldn't format for Windows and then eventually go back to a mac format. It may be different with the iPod software 1.3, but if you EVER want to use it again on a mac... you may have problems.

johnnyirish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
LA

thanks again for the help, it will be staying with a PC....
have a good day

john

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.