Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about it?

• :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • :(

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • :o

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • :D

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • :p

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • :cool:

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • :rolleyes:

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • :mad:

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • :eek:

• :confused:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Well, there's been some news going around about 19" iMacs arriving in the fourth quarter.

But I am compelled to speculate on the possibility of a 'Power Series' line of iMacs, sporting both 19" and 21" screens and G5 64-bit, single processors. These high-end machines would have larger bases with one expandable AGP and one expandable PCI slot. They would fill the gap between consumer-level iMacs and the behometh PowerMac Workstation line(s).

I also envision a low-end Consumer Series line of iMacs sporting G4 processors and 17" and 19" screens. These machines would not be expandable beyond the memory and addition of an Airport card.

Technically a 21" iMac is possible to balance, but probably only if there is a larger, heavier, base. Certainly I don't think that iMacs should have screens any bigger than 21". It just doesn't sound feasible for a system not geared for professional use.

What do you think? :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't think we'll be seeing the über-iMac anytime soon. I'd be happy to see a new processor in the PowerMacs - waiting for the LCD iMacs to be updated is silly. You're probably talking about something that won't happen till 2004 or later....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There isn't a need for a middle of the road machine - its either got to be cheaper or powerful - look what happened to the Cube.

The 19" iMac, if it comes out, will be pretty damn special, and probably pricey to boot. A 21" would be over kill - would you drop over $3000 for an iMac? It will probably be around $4000, with a screen that big. Not worth it just for looks.

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Why have a PowerMac with an iMac like that?

You get a great big rolleyes:

Attachments

• rolleyes_big.gif
    rolleyes_big.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 730

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
The PowerMac is a workstation silly, not a desktop. :p

Just imagine a new line of Dual-Processor PowerMacs with G5 2.0GHz processors! Just imagine the possibilities! :D

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Imagine.....clearly a key-word in all of this. Most people seem to believe 19" is ideal and don't forget (theorically) that similar to a 21-23" CRT monitor anyway. To go much bigger is just making things too expensive and also a bit on the large side.

Dual P5's??????? And possiblilties??????

I think of what I can do on my 500Mhz TiBook and I can't see that I NEED much more power. It's the same with my PC (600Mhz and quite happily running a database server, webserver and all my development tools). It's fun to wish, hell everyone does it but you should be happy with what you have!!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Really good point, so as to continue a discussion and hopefully prevent this thread getting shut down.

Why don't you tell me Shrek what you would do with a 21" G5 LCD iMac? And why it would be better than a G5 PowerMac with a 19" or 21" monitor.

D

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by Shrek
The PowerMac is a workstation silly, not a desktop. :p

They're all just computers at the end of the day. To call one a desktop and the other a workstation are just ways of grouping them. They can both do the same things (essentially manipulate binary numbers damn fast).

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
that's just stupid, as duke said, it would take until at LEAST 2004, by then, apple will probably have redesigned the iMac again (at the pace they're at)
YOU GET THE ANGRY FACE FOR BEING A SILLY GOOSE!!!:mad:

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by dukestreet
Why don't you tell me Shrek what you would do with a 21" G5 LCD iMac?

Because I would like to see DVD movies in HD and get a fulfilling experience from my games. :)

And why it would be better than a G5 PowerMac with a 19" or 21" monitor.

Because iMacs are cheaper consumer level computers and PowerMacs are expensive professional workstations. And like I said, "More Innovation = Lower Prices." :)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Gaz

They're all just computers at the end of the day. To call one a desktop and the other a workstation are just ways of grouping them. They can both do the same things (essentially manipulate binary numbers damn fast).

No one should buy a professional workstation if they don't need all that power. It's just crazy. :p

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
No one should buy a professional workstation if they don't need all that power. It's just crazy. :p

No one should buy a consumer machine with that much power either...until the PowerMacs have gotten way beyond that level of performance...

JamesDP

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
"Waaa! I want a 19" iMac!"

19 inch iMacs a possibility next year.

"Waaa! I want a 21" iMac!"

Where does it end?

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Wow imagine the an iMac with a 42" widescreen!!!! That would be great for DVDs.

Damn, I remember the first computer we got that had a 13" crt and that ways the bee's knee's. I've said it before; it's nice to wish but be satisfied with what you have. If you're not, you'll never be happy.

gareth

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
No one should buy a consumer machine with that much power either...until the PowerMacs have gotten way beyond that level of performance...

Smartallic.

You know that when the G5 comes out that PowerMacs are likely to be the first to get them. And not to mention they're sure have dual-processors in them. :p

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by JamesDP
"Waaa! I want a 19" iMac!"

19 inch iMacs a possibility next year.

"Waaa! I want a 21" iMac!"

Where does it end?

Originally posted by Gaz

Damn, I remember the first computer we got that had a 13" crt and that ways the bee's knee's. I've said it before; it's nice to wish but be satisfied with what you have. If you're not, you'll never be happy.

gareth

Certainly I don't think that iMacs should have screens any bigger than 21". It just doesn't sound feasible for a system not geared for professional use.

Ya'll need some glasses. :p

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Don't be so literal. Both comments are not personal attacks on you. They are observations of charactistics that many people exhibit in these forums.

I like the fact people are driven to achieve better things, I'm sure this trait will help everyone do very well in the world of work. I just feel its also important to keep your feet on the ground and not to be too over the top.

By the way Shrek you're a few months older than myself so I was wondering if you've been to Uni and what you did? This is just me being curious given the different posts you make.

djkut

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by Gaz

gareth

:D

Attachments

• 42imac.jpg
    42imac.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 373

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
that's cool! I'm glad people here get my humor. I've been having a bad time of things of late and some of the stuff people have been posting has really made me laugh in-between visits to the pub. Have to say thou people writing the lyrics to the timewarp has been the best thing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.