Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanflucas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
Who has installed El Capitan on their 21" iMac from mid 2011? That's what I have and I'm curious to try it, but figured I would see if anyone on here has similar specs as me and could chime in?

My system: 2.7GHZ Core i5, 1TB 7200RPM drive, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB Video.

I have manual backups, Time Machine Backup, iCloud Backup, CrashPlan Cloud Backup. Yosemite works fine, but has really slow startup time. It was zippy on startup in Mavericks. I figure that's more to do with an old moving parts drive since SSD would be better. If they don't release a better iMac this year with retina display, I may mail it in to OWC and have them install an SSD under their turnkey program.

als522877

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I've installed El Capitan on my Mid 2011. Same specs as yours except I've added a few upgrades. I have 24GB of RAM, OWC 120GB SSD, made a DIY Fusion Drive from SSD & HDD, & installed an adapter & WiFi card from the current gen iMac. ( http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...adapter-for-imac-2009-imac-2010-and-imac-2011 ) Before I installed El Capitan I put my iMac into target disk mode & ran Carbon Copy Cloner on the Hackintosh in my sig & made a disk image of the system. I also backup with time machine to that Hackintosh. I ran one last backup & moved the DMG so it couldn't continue to use it & would start another DMG after the install of El Capitan. So far it runs smooth except for the usual bugs & issues you see in betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.