Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrwd10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I have a 16gb iPhone 4 with 5.01 tethered jailbroken... I have tried to restore in recovery mode- and i get error 21, and I have tried to restore in DFU mode, and I get error 1600. I want to do a clean restore as my phone is useless right now. Please help!
~JD

Last edited:

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Try This:

- Launch iTunes.
- Put Phone Into DFU Mode.
- Wait For iTunes to recognise the phone in recovery mode.
- Download & Launch iReb r4.
- Select your device and wait for a few seconds until you get white or a red - screen on your iOS device.
- Go Back into iTunes and restore.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I can't recommend you doing this but this is what I did to successfully restore, I removed the line "gs.apple.com" in my host file that was redirecting to cydia and rebooted my computer and it worked like a charm.

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I have a mac... do you have any other solutions??

You Could Try This:

- Open Redsn0w,
- Press Extras,
- Press Pwned DFU,
- Then follow the instructions,
- Open Up iTunes,
- Then try Restoring.

Good Luck!

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I can't recommend you doing this but this is what I did to successfully restore, I removed the line "gs.apple.com" in my host file that was redirecting to cydia and rebooted my computer and it worked like a charm.

this! you may have 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com and 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com at the bottom of your hosts file, which you would need to put a # before both for you to be able to restore. i had this problem today and fixed it by this

to edit your hosts file: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556
if you're running Lion, you can download a program called "Gas Mask" that will let you edit it. I had to use this program on Lion as the instructions in the above link didn't let me save it properly

jrwd10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
That worked! Thank you so much - MacRumors is the best!
~JD

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
this! you may have 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com and 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com at the bottom of your hosts file, which you would need to put a # before both for you to be able to restore. i had this problem today and fixed it by this

to edit your hosts file: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556
if you're running Lion, you can download a program called "Gas Mask" that will let you edit it. I had to use this program on Lion as the instructions in the above link didn't let me save it properly

Yup, my windows 7 laptop was not letting me "Run as Administrator" for some odd reason, so I hopped on my other PC which was using windows XP and it allowed me to edit the file. I was getting frustrated why it wouldn't let me Run as Admin, oh well.

That worked! Thank you so much - MacRumors is the best!
~JD

You're welcome lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.