Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
MacTruck said:
For the price of one 23" apple display I was able to purchase two 24" Dell displays. Right now I am using them on a G5 and its great. I click on the mode button and am playing xbox 360 on the left one, switch it again and am back to the mac. I'm sorry for saying the decision to buy an apple was stupid. I will just say buying a Dell is smarter. :)

What did you do, get a buy one get one free deal or something? I would never put any kind of Dell crap on my Mac. Thats just what I want, I spend $2500 for a Mac and I have to sit there and look at a stupid Dell logo. Yeah, right!

Dell=CRAP!!!!!

My 20" Aluminum Display doesn't look any worse than the 20" Dell one and isn't that much more. I would go for the Apple one in a heartbeat. Who cares about all of the extra crap thats on the back of it. Its just useless stuff that you'll never use.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I wouldn't say it's OCD...but, it's kinda OCD. I like things to match, look clean and all that. Not saying a Dell couldn't match my desk setup, but, for the now, the plastic bulk stands are just not as good looking to me as the aluminum CD. I wouldn't call someone stupid because they want that look over the dell look, yes, the monitors perform the same, but for some there is more than performance that they want. They want style, and, Apple kills everyone else in terms of style. Sometimes it IS form over function.

There is so much mocking and fighting on this stinkin website...welcome to MOCKRUMORS, where my dad can beat up your dad. Leave the playground!

hrfforlife

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Zoowatch said:
i found this out today from Apple discussion board by BSteely

this is what he said:

The problem of a phantom image of a previous screen sounds like image sticking, or image retention, which is a known issue with IPS technology, which is the underlying technology of the LCD screen in the 23" ACD. Basically what happens is that an electric charge gets trapped within the pixel, like static electricity, and charge is what the LC material responds to. So even though the pixel is no longer being driven, the stuck charge causes a phantom image to appear. It looks a lot like phosphor burn from the bad old days of CRT monitors, but it is a completely different phenomenon.

Fortunately, it's not permenant, and the stuck charge will eventually bleed off. But if your monitor is badly afflicted with the problem, and if you are under warranty, I'd be tempted to get a replacement.

My 23" Apple display is 6 mos old. The first day I used it I had the same ghosting problems. I considered taking it back, but after the first day of use the ghosting stopped. The color has been fine, but the contrast is not as good as most dell's that I have seen and used.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
mklos said:
What did you do, get a buy one get one free deal or something?

You could say that. Just the monthly Dell coupons brought the price down from $1200 to $700. Find that kind of deal on an Apple display.

I don't understand how people can say the dell is ugly. ITS A BEZEL, its just black instead of Silver. Hey but if thats worth spending over twice as much for an inferior monitor, go for it.
:p

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Not impressed with the view angle on my 24" Dell. And the color reproduction for darker shades can be patchy and poor. Which is the most annoying in movies, night scenes etc.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
man, that sucks, I've only seen one 23" ACD at smalldog and it was great, I didnt use it much, but it looked great, I hope you can get some replacement ones that work better!

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Apple does replace monitors with this problem, so I've heard from people who've had it.

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
I also ended up going w/ a dell over an apple display. Got the 2005fpw (20" widescreen) dell for about $390. Quite a bit cheaper than the $700 price tag for a refurb'd 20" apple display. And AFAIK they both use the same lcd panel, so it all comes down to preference of aesthetic design and price. Price was the determining factor for me.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
mklos said:
What did you do, get a buy one get one free deal or something? I would never put any kind of Dell crap on my Mac. Thats just what I want, I spend $2500 for a Mac and I have to sit there and look at a stupid Dell logo. Yeah, right!

Dell=CRAP!!!!!

My 20" Aluminum Display doesn't look any worse than the 20" Dell one and isn't that much more. I would go for the Apple one in a heartbeat. Who cares about all of the extra crap thats on the back of it. Its just useless stuff that you'll never use.

Cut down on the coffee or switch to de caff.

Your heading deangerously into the realm of the Mac Zealot my friend, of which there is no return to subjective or free thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.