Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Which means something media centre like MUST be coming next week. That's a computer-like TV they're selling there. Perfect for *ahem* watching movies on?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Wow!
Damn, I just bought and still love this MacBook.
I can't see myself spending $3400 on computers in one year.
But, I am seriously considering having my MacBook and then wall mounting a 24" iMac in my room to watch movies and use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

Gah, sounds soooo appealing!

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Now is there any attachment that will put it right up against the wall, or does it always have to be on an arm that's mounted to the wall? Also, the iMac is pretty heavy, do you need to find a stud in your wall to support it? I'm pretty new at wall mounts if you can't tell, but I think it would be sweet, especially for an iMac.

Dan.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Since it's VESA compliant, you can get any number of different bracket designs from arms through adjustable to static wall mounts. The VESA kits are normally in two pieces, one that you screw to the back of the unit you're mounting, and then whatever bracket/mechanism that you're putting up on the wall. You then screw or clip the two together.

We have our 32in LCD TV, which is probably slightly heavier than the iMac, up on a VESA mount. Just six bolts hold it in place in a breeze block partition wall, but it's not going anywhere.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
The link expired. I'm very interested in this.

What's the exact name of the product? So I can go search it up

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
ZoomZoomZoom said:
The link expired. I'm very interested in this.

What's the exact name of the product? So I can go search it up

Just navagate to the apple store main page--
its in the "New to the Store" section on the right side...

"VESA Mount Adapter Kit for 24-inch iMac"

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
There was a VESA mount kit for the iMac G5 but when the Intel transition happened it was quietly dropped (the rev. A Intel iMacs couldn't be fitted with the old VESA mount kit). I suspect that people complained which is why Apple is bringing this back, so I wouldn't necessarily see this as the preclusion of some great Media Centre announcement.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Richard Flynn said:
There was a VESA mount kit for the iMac G5 but when the Intel transition happened it was quietly dropped (the rev. A Intel iMacs couldn't be fitted with the old VESA mount kit). I suspect that people complained which is why Apple is bringing this back, so I wouldn't necessarily see this as the preclusion of some great Media Centre announcement.

The scuttlebutt seemed to be at that time that there was some relationship between that and the permanent fix for the "midplane" related issues on the G5 iMacs, although the Rev. Bs were VESA-mountable and did not have midplane issues....

But I'm glad to see this back. If what you want is television you could certainly put it on the wall and get an EyeTV to put in the kit. The EyeTV even supports Front Row and the Apple remote, and I think their software now even mimics the look and feel of Front Row to keep it transparent when you change back and forth. Once you added that piece of hardware, therefore, you would basically already have a media center....

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
on the question of eyetv anbody have an opinion on the topic as wherether or not it is worth it - and i saw they released a usb version not too long ago. My last experience of trying to watch tv on a computer was almost 5 years ago on my old pc which had an ATI allinwonder card an it was mediocre at best

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd be curious too about whether low res signals appear grainy or if it does a good job smoothing them. I know the latest EyeTV can handle digital and analog television.

I personally have a DVR already so it's an awful expensive solution in comparison to just getting a 32-37" LCD TV....

Here btw is a pic of the EyeTV interface:

eyetv2.3.jpg

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
What I REALLY would like is to be able to use Front Row on two monitors. My Mac Mini currently goes directly into the LCD TV, but if Front Row went dual-monitor (i.e. navigate on one monitor, display in the other) a 20 or 24" iMac mounted next to the telly would be pretty awesome.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
tkidBOSTON said:
Just navagate to the apple store main page--
its in the "New to the Store" section on the right side...

"VESA Mount Adapter Kit for 24-inch iMac"

or do a search for vesa. came up second.

Now, will they revise the 17" and 20" cases to allow for use of this any time soon?

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
vesa adapters should come standard.
what a bogus way to scrounge up even more of our money.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
iMac has always been my fav mac ever, i just bought a mac pro if i had not i would buy the 24" iMac 5 mins ago. The only problem i had with iMacs was the video card was a bit week, not anymore. The screen was a bit small i am used ot the 23"-24" screens, not anymore. Last but not least RAM, i always thought that 4GB was the best mark for an apple mac and the new iMac can get close to it.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
If anyone wants to know what a wall-mounted iMac looks like, I did this with my iMac G5 a while ago.

See this old thread

That was a 17" iMac, which I later replaced with a 20".

I think I'll probably go for the 24" now and the existing VESA mount should still work as the weight of the new 24" and old 20" (rev B) is around the same. I don't know how the mount adapter kit for the 24" compares to the one I have for the G5 though, so guess I'll have to replace that part.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
BurtonCCC said:
Now is there any attachment that will put it right up against the wall, or does it always have to be on an arm that's mounted to the wall? Also, the iMac is pretty heavy, do you need to find a stud in your wall to support it? I'm pretty new at wall mounts if you can't tell, but I think it would be sweet, especially for an iMac.

Dan.

Check out this link: Large LCD wall mount selection. The VESA adapter just allows you to hook it to any VESA-compliant mount. One of these gives you the flat option. Though you may have difficulty reaching your cable jacks in this scenario. I've heard of people cutting holes in their walls to gain access.

re: studs. Yes, you'll need to find a stud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.