Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hi all,

Can I ask you a question about GPU requirements? 24 vs 32 cores for Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB 2TB model.

Short:
am I missing anything with 24 GPU cores vs 32 for this type of work?

- Lightroom classic
- Photoshop using many (200+) layers, hence the 64GB RAM, also for future proofing
- 4K video editing: a new thing I want to get into. I need to learn still. Having used Premiere 10+ years ago, now Using iMovie, may step up to Davinci Resolve.

Longer:
I have a photo business and am deciding on a new Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB 2TB model. I live in the Netherlands. Prices:

€4769 at apple.com/nl for the 32 cores GPU model
€4589 at apple.com/nl for the 24 cores GPU model

However I found a special offer at another store for the 24 cores GPU model for just 3899. Probably clearing stock in anticipation for the upcoming M2 MBP.

So is this a good buy for me?

I am doing:
- Lightroom classic
- Photoshop using many (200+) layers, hence the 64GB RAM, also for future proofing
- 4K video editing: a new thing I want to get into. I need to learn still. Having used Premiere 10+ years ago, now Using iMovie, may step up to Davinci Resolve.

So am I missing anything with 24 GPU cores vs 32 for this type of work?

Thanks!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I'd say video editing is going to be the area where you'd see any significant difference between the 24 and 32 core GPU. Also, really depends on exactly what kind of video work you are going to be doing. For iMovie, a 24 CPU Max is going to be overkill. In Resolve, Simple edits, and things like clip stabilization and color correction you likely wouldn't see a huge difference between 24 and 32.. The video encode/decode hardware in the M1 Pro/Max frees up a decent amount of CPU/GPU overhead, especially if you work in ProRes. However, if you think you might get into compositing with many layers or heavy computational tasks like temporal noise reduction, more GPU is going to go further.

I will say something to keep in mind is that a lot of people over estimated their need when the Pro/Max were released and many found that even the 16 GPU M1 Pro was more than enough for their needs. A side effect of years of lackluster entry-level DGPUs in Intel MacBooks. Not trying to discourage you from getting the Max at all. If you are going for longevity, I think the 64GB option alone is a reason to get the Max.

Something else to consider if you are getting into 4k video: You are going to need/want external storage. Potentially a lot of it depending on what your capture format is. If you are shooting a professional format like ProRes, RAW or even the high bitrate H.265 10bit a lot of cameras capture, storage goes very quickly and you want fast and reliable. If you are doing paid work, or even personal stuff you want to archive, you also need a way to back all of it up too. So, if you don't already have that I'd go for the €3899 deal and spend the left overs on a couple fast external SSDs and NAS/RAID box to back everything up.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your elaborate reply, for my video needs even the 16 Core GPU would do then.

Here are my options again, also added APPLE's price between []:
1. Macbook Pro M1 Pro 32GB 2TB 16 Core GPU : 3499 [APPLE: 3899]
2. Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB 2TB 24 Core GPU : 3899 [APPLE: 4589]
3. Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB 2TB 32 Core GPU : 4399 [APPLE: 4769] (will not get this one)

So option #3, with the 32 core GPU, is 500 more for just 32 vs 24 GPU cores, so I will discard this one.

Option #2 is a strangely lowishly priced option, which appears to be quite interesting, even now that the M2's are right around the corner.

But the upcoming M2 Max 24 GPU 64GB will probably follow the iPhone "strong USD vs EUR 17% price increase", which would bring the new M2 price up to 5369 (in Europe, a new iPhone 14 Pro 6.1" 128GB is 1329 vs 1129 for the 13 pro last year).

So in a nutshell:
If I get the #2 option over the #1 option above, for 400 more (3899 vs 3499), I get:
- Max vs Pro
- 24 vs 16 GPU cores
- 64GB vs 32GB

Actually I would opt for #2 for the 64GB alone. My current 2013 MBP w/ 16GB would have been adequate still if it had 32GB RAM. And I keep my devices for a very long time (also still using an iPhone 6s).

If you were me, which one would you pick, or wait for M2?

Thanks

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
The differences will be absolutely minuscule between the 24 and 32 GPUs. Most certainly not "significant". 🙄 If you're lucky then maybe a single-digit percentage, and only with very specific specialty software. Especially not with the Adobe apps which are complete garbage when it comes to their so-called "Apple Silicon optimization". It's a joke. I'd look into switching to anything else if you're going to get an M1. Otherwise you'll have nothing but very expensive lipstick for your proverbial pigs.

And for video the by far most vital components are the "Media Engines". That is of course assuming you are NOT using Premiere, in which case they become near irrelevant. Only Avid is worse. You're almost better off buying an Intal machine for anything Adobe!

And forget the "M2!" chatter. It's utterly irrelevant since even an M1 Pro or a Max with 32GB will deliver more performance than you'll be able to get even anywhere close to maxing out for many MANY years to come with what you list. I've edited 12K video on a MacBook AIR (with FCP obviously)! The amount of RAM in Apple Silicon machines has absolutely nothing in common with RAM in Intel machines. Any comparison or assumption is therefore ludicrous. 16GB will go exponentially further in an AS machine for example than 64GB will go in an Intel!

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Excellent, thank you @lin2log. I just ordered the M1 Max 24 GPU 64GB 2TB option. Even though you say Apple Silicon RAM is more efficient than Intel RAM, I just spent the 400 Euro's extra for 64/Max just to be on the safe side for years to come.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Hi OSXPhoto:

I use a late 2021 MBP16 M1Max 32 core, 64 GB RAM, 4 TB SSD with Davinci Resolve Studio version 18.

Originally I was extremely impressed with the ability of the MBP16 to encode video--very fast. Playback in the timeline was almost always at the full frame rate. However, as my work began to include more Fusion compositions I found the playback and encoding to be very slow. Playback/encoding was only a 3 FPS on a 23.976 FPS timeline when a Fusion composition was in play. I then became extremely disenchanted with the computer and wished I had waited for a Studio Ultra.

As more time passed, I learned that Fusion is just slow (Apple Motion was 3x faster) on the vast majority of the systems even the M1 Max. It is a function of how software is written. The Mac Ultra would have of very little help. When I understood this, I again became impressed MBP16 and I am again delighted with my purchasing decision. The big advantage over the Ultra is that I have this wonderful Liquid Retina XDR Display that I believe to be a tremendous advantage.

Go ahead and get the MBP M1 Max 64GB, 32 core (or wait for the M2 version) I am certain that it will serve well. Your only decision will be how much SSD to get. I generally do small video projects that I off load to a server once completed. Currently, I am working on 8 of these small projects and still do not have more than 1 TB in use--4 TB was overkill. Two TB would have been a better fit. Depends on how you use. But if you are not going to offload completed projects to a mass storage device, you might be better off with 4 TB.

Hope you find my comments helpful.

Don

Last edited:

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hi OSXPhoto:

I use a late 2021 MBP16 M1Max 32 core, 64 GB RAM, 4 TB SSD with Davinci Resolve Studio version 18.

Originally I was extremely impressed with the ability of the MBP16 to encode video--very fast. Playback in the timeline was almost always at the full frame rate. However, as my work began to include more Fusion compositions I found the playback and encoding to be very slow. Playback/encoding was only a 3 FPS on a 23.976 FPS timeline when a Fusion composition was in play. I then became extremely disenchanted with the computer and wished I had waited for a Studio Ultra.

As more time passed, I learned that Fusion is just slow (Apple Motion was 3x faster) on the vast majority of the systems even the M1 Max. It is a function of how software is written. The Mac Ultra would have of very little help. When I understood this, I again became impressed MBP16 and I am again delighted with my purchasing decision. The big advantage over the Ultra is that I have this wonderful Liquid Retina XDR Display that I believe to be a tremendous advantage.

Go ahead and get the MBP M1 Max 64GB, 32 core (or wait for the M2 version) I am certain that it will serve well. Your only decision will be how much SSD to get. I generally do small video projects that I off load to a server once completed. Currently, I am working on 8 of these small projects and still do not have more than 1 TB in use--4 TB was overkill. Two TB would have been a better fit. Depends on how you use. But if you are not going to offload completed projects to a mass storage device, you might be better off with 4 TB.

Hope you find my comments helpful.

Don
Dear Don,
Thank you so much for the time you gave to help out, for me, a complete stranger. I know that is the ways of forums but still highly appreciated. Actually I’m starting to feel a little guilty for posting here because the way you use video editing tools is way above what I will ever do. I am just a casual video shooter and I will never use high end tools such as fusion.

Above all, I’m a pro photographer, I use many adobe products, mostly Lightroom and photoshop. I do a little video on the side when clients ask for it and when I’m out with the family.

Frankly all I was after was to spec up a machine to last for ten years, just like my 2013 MBP that still runs great, except that it runs low on RAM more and more frequently and 512GB storage proved to be too low for my Lightroom catalog, previews and monthly amount of RAWs.
My critical requirements were:
- 16” display
- enough RAM: either 32, which would be enough for the first couple of years, or 64 to make it to 10 years
- more storage: either 1 or 2 TB, one is good for now, two is better to last 10 years

So I landed on the MBP late 2021 because of all the praise and of course because I’m deeply buried in the apple ecosystem. All I had to decide was options and purchase date.

The Netherlands is in Europe and in Europe apple goodness is way more expensive than in the US. So for quite a while I have been debating:
- M1 pro 16 core GPU 32GB RAM 2TB storage for 3899, OR
- M1 max 32 core GPU 64GB RAM 2TB storage for 4769
I’ve waited a while to see if one showed up in apple’s business discount store but no. Then last week I noticed this pre MBP M2 stock clearance sale where I could get the Max 24core GPU 64GB 2TB for 3899, a major discount: the better specced model for the same price as the lower tier model.

Just 24 GPU cores instead of 32. I was so compelled to order but decided to get some expert advice on the 24 vs 32 GPU cores. And here we are.

So your story is a great confirmation that I made a good choice. Given my “light” use of video I am quite confident that even 24 core GPU will still be overkill.

About the 64 GB RAM. 32GB will be sufficient on 90% of the working days. However, I do work with 15-20GB source video files now and then. These can be 60minute screen recordings for example. Counting around 6 GB for macOS, some 3GB for open safari tabs and some other apps, I am getting very close to 32GB. Having 64GB is a very comfortable idea.

So there. The unit I ordered is on its way as I write this, will take delivery tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Hi Pete:

You are most welcome.

If most of what you planning to do is photo editing in Photoshop then you are going to be good with M1 Max 24core GPU 64GB 2TB. I suppose I should have spent more time reading your post. However, if you ever plan on using Davinci Resolve more extensively then the extra power might be worth it. You might be surprised one day when you ask yourself, “Gee, I would really like to animate that.” That would require Fusion. My comments were made so that if you get into Fusion I doubt there is a consumer product produced that will generate the speed that you thought you were purchasing, including the M1 Max. Fusion is slow because of how it is coded. When I did some comparisons, I was shocked to find that Apple Motion was 3x faster! And it looks like BMD does not have Fusion as a priority to make it run faster on Apple Silicon--might require a complete re-write of the code. i have read that to get faster Fusion encoding you need to go to server farm. Once I recognized that, I again became happy with my purchase with the M1 Max MBP.

In any case, good luck with the new machine. I know that you will enjoy working with it.

Once you get your computer up and running, I would be eager to learn what your thoughts.

Don

Reactions: OSXphoto

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
The Netherlands is in Europe and in Europe apple goodness is way more expensive than in the US.
That's a common misconception and is patently false, sorry. Fact is that any and all prices you see on any American site will be before tax. Any prices you see on any given European site will be including tax! Once you factor that in, i.e. look at it realistically, then pricing is nominally higher in the vast majority of Europe countries. Buy your MBP in California for example and you're barely saving $100 compared to the Netherlands. And if it's a business expense then you're getting the tax back at the end of the year. You wouldn't be if bought in the U.S. Therefore it's technically even cheaper!

32GB will be sufficient on 90% of the working days.
110% of the days with what you're doing. You'll never even get close to ever maxing out 32GB.

Counting around 6 GB for macOS, some 3GB for open safari tabs and some other apps, I am getting very close to 32GB. Having 64GB is a very comfortable idea.
Again, you're applying Intel logic to the whole thing. Never mind that macOS has highly efficient memory management that even opening every available Adobe app at once wouldn't affect performance even the slightest. That's simply not how it works.

But again, Adobe + any Apple Silicon = a waste of 80%+ of any and all available power. Switch to Affinity or Pixelmator and see very quickly at what a technical turd level the Adobe apps are at.

And the whole notion of "wait for the M2s!" is already nonsensical, but considering that the speed bump they will bring will be nominal at best—if not in fact non-existent in those areas i.e. with those apps—it's even that much more ludicrous of a recommendation. If you need now, you buy now.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
And the whole notion of "wait for the M2s!" is already nonsensical
Waiting for the M2s is not non-sensical! Agreed. The M2 will not bring much in the way of performance as most applications cannot use the power of the M1s. However, if I were going to buy a new MBP today, I would wait for the M2 as it is to be released vey soon. Why take the value hit on an M1 when you can have the M2 for most likely the same price. There also might also be some feature enhancements to the new box--WiFi, SD card reader, etc. However, since the OP is getting a price break on M1 MBP that might be the better option for their situation.

Don

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Excellent, thank you @lin2log. I just ordered the M1 Max 24 GPU 64GB 2TB option. Even though you say Apple Silicon RAM is more efficient than Intel RAM, I just spent the 400 Euro's extra for 64/Max just to be on the safe side for years to come.
I should note that if you are getting a 14" M1 Max, that the MacBook 14" starts to thermal throttle with the 32-core a bit sooner than a 16" model, so that the 24-core is often the better choice for a 14".

If I recall correctly, the performance of the 14" 32-core falls between the 16" 24-core and 16" 32-core, not just due to thermals, but because Apple placed lower power limits on the 14" 32-core. For short bursts of power on demanding tasks, I think the 14" 32-core can just about keep up with a 16", until things start to heat up. But the 14" 24-core is much more closely matched to the 16" 24-core performance. It might have been the MacTech YouTube channel where I saw them turn up the fans faster on the 14" but it mostly lowered CPU/GPU temps but didn't make it as fast as the 32-core 16" MBP. (I'm sorry if I recall wrong).

With the 24-core you still get all the benefits of the faster M1 Max memory speed, and it will be noticeably faster than the 16-core for gaming; while the extra RAM you picked would be good for future-proofing, loading large files without using saws space on the SSD, and/or running multiple virtual machines if you ever need that later.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I should note that if you are getting a 14" M1 Max, that the MacBook 14" starts to thermal throttle with the 32-core a bit sooner than a 16" model, so that the 24-core is often the better choice for a 14".

If I recall correctly, the performance of the 14" 32-core falls between the 16" 24-core and 16" 32-core, not just due to thermals, but because Apple placed lower power limits on the 14" 32-core. For short bursts of power on demanding tasks, I think the 14" 32-core can just about keep up with a 16", until things start to heat up. But the 14" 24-core is much more closely matched to the 16" 24-core performance. It might have been the MacTech YouTube channel where I saw them turn up the fans faster on the 14" but it mostly lowered CPU/GPU temps but didn't make it as fast as the 32-core 16" MBP. (I'm sorry if I recall wrong).

With the 24-core you still get all the benefits of the faster M1 Max memory speed, and it will be noticeably faster than the 16-core for gaming; while the extra RAM you picked would be good for future-proofing, loading large files without using saws space on the SSD, and/or running multiple virtual machines if you ever need that later.
I ordered the 16". So thanks for your heads up!

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Why take the value hit on an M1 when you can have the M2 for most likely the same price.
Don
Yes in normal times this is what I would do as I would buy from Apple and Apple sets their prices fixed for an entire year. However: due to the weaker Euro the new iPhones, iPads, watches, air pods went up 17% vs last year's batch, while in the US the prices have stayed the same.
So most likely, Apple will announce the new Macbook Pro at a similar 17% price increase at their next event (or press release). At this level a new M2 MBP Max 64GB 2TB model could go up from 4589 to around 5400. If this turns out to be the case, this could set the current stock clearing discounts in a whole new perspective: after the announcement the old M1 could still move for its original Apple price as the new M2's are so much more expensive yet.

This is why I got this unit now for 3799, even 100 off compared to what I wrote above.

If my speculation turns out to be wrong, then I will have a 30 day return option with full refund. I haven't opened the packaging just yet.

But even if Apple maintains the current price levels (M2 Max 64GB 2TB 24 core would still cost 4589), I doubt that the M2 option would bring 790 bucks worth of improvements.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
That's a common misconception and is patently false, sorry. Fact is that any and all prices you see on any American site will be before tax. Any prices you see on any given European site will be including tax!
Okay fair enough. I did not count that in. But the current weak euro issue remains.

110% of the days with what you're doing. You'll never even get close to ever maxing out 32GB.

Again, you're applying Intel logic to the whole thing. Never mind that macOS has highly efficient memory management that even opening every available Adobe app at once wouldn't affect performance even the slightest. That's simply not how it works.

But again, Adobe + any Apple Silicon = a waste of 80%+ of any and all available power. Switch to Affinity or Pixelmator and see very quickly at what a technical turd level the Adobe apps are at.
I absolutely appreciate pointing that out to me.

I absolutely believe that a 32GB unit would satisfy my needs now and for the coming years.

Still none of us can, today, say anything about how the 32GB model will hold up in 5-8 years. So given the deal I could get, where I practically got 64GB for the price of 32GB, I thought 64GB would be nice to have.

You know, when I got my Late 2013 MBP, people argued 8GB was plenty for Lightroom 5. I still ordered 16GB just to be sure. But next month I will be retiring a perfectly good machine just because I'm running out of RAM too often. I won't fall into that trap again, M1 being different or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
That's a common misconception and is patently false, sorry. Fact is that any and all prices you see on any American site will be before tax. Any prices you see on any given European site will be including tax! Once you factor that in, i.e. look at it realistically, then pricing is nominally higher in the vast majority of Europe countries.
I did the math and I'm sorry but it's not what you might think. I took the iPhone 13 Pro max 256GB (fall 2021) and 14 Pro Max 256GB (fall 2022) as an example, but the same goes for any other Apple product.

Situation fall 2021

iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB
USD: 1199
EUR: 1379
EUR - USD exchange rate: 1.17
Dutch price converted to USD:
1379 x 1.17 = 1613 USD
If sales tax = 10% => a US iPhone costs 1199 x 1.1 = 1318 USD
So we pay 1613/1318 x100% = 22% more for the same goods

This is basically it.

Additionally, we now have bad luck with our weak Euro:

Situation fall 2022
iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB
USD: 1199
EUR: 1609
EUR - USD exchange rate: 1.00
Dutch price converted to USD:
1609 x 1.00 = 1609 USD
If sales tax = 10% => a US iPhone costs 1199 x 1.1 = 1318 USD

In fall 2022 the difference is the same as in 2021, but as our income has not increased following the EUR devaluation, this iPhone - for us - has become 17% more expensive.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Okay fair enough. I did not count that in. But the current weak euro issue remains.

I absolutely appreciate pointing that out to me.

I absolutely believe that a 32GB unit would satisfy my needs now and for the coming years.

Still none of us can, today, say anything about how the 32GB model will hold up in 5-8 years. So given the deal I could get, where I practically got 64GB for the price of 32GB, I thought 64GB would be nice to have.

You know, when I got my Late 2013 MBP, people argued 8GB was plenty for Lightroom 5. I still ordered 16GB just to be sure. But next month I will be retiring a perfectly good machine just because I'm running out of RAM too often. I won't fall into that trap again, M1 being different or not.

That's how I look at things too, get the higher specs that will last longer through multiple software revisions, after having too many Macs grow too slow and dumb after 2-3 years. Macs that can't be upgraded will need to have the amount of RAM and storage that you think you will need years down the line, not just what you need now.

My 2012 Retina MBP 15" 2.8Ghz 4-core is still very usable today, because I maxed it out with 16GB/768GB SSD. Same with my 2014 retina MBP that I maxed out with 16GB/1TB SSD - my son and my daughter are both still enjoying them today, even though I upgraded 2 yrs ago.

My 2019 i9 8-Core 16" came with 32GB/2TB in March 2020, and will be very usable for the next 4-5 years. I'm only giving it to my wife to replace her late 2015 iMac because hers is having some issues with BT and USB devices disconnecting (software?), and because it won't run Ventura.

My wife usually likes to get base models (computers, cars, stereos, etc), and her late 2015 5K iMac with 8GB/1TB fusion drive replaced her older 21 inch iMac with similar 8GB/1TB fusion. But the smaller fusion drive SSD cache on the 2015 1TB made it much slower than the larger SSD cache did in the old one. If we had gone with the 16 GB i7 with 2TB fusion drive (bigger SSD cache) or 1TB SSD that was available at the time we bought it, it would have been good for the whole 7 years without needing upgrades.

By late 2018 the computer was sluggish with some apps and multiple users signed in for fast user switching. We used it as an iTunes server 24/7. Fortunately upgrading to 32GB RAM was possible and it sped things up a bit, but the small SSD cache for the 5400rpm HD was still hurting performance. I had the local Mac repair shop install a Crucial 2TB SSD (the SSD cache is unused) and it breathed new life into it.

If not for the BT and USB devices disappearing randomly this 7 yr old iMac with 32GB/2TB would still be working great until Monterey loses official support in 2024, or past that.

The replacement for my 16" i9 Macbook Pro that I'm giving to the wife is an almost maxed out 14" with M1 Max 32-core and 64GB/4TB drive. The 14" 32-core speed will be a little slower than the 32-core 16" on longer tasks, but still slightly faster than the 16" 24-core, even with thermal throttling and lower power limits. With 500GB of music, and 100GB of movies, and 400GB of Photos, with 5 users installed I'm already using up 1.9 TB of the drive.

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Oh puh-leeeeeeeze… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Do you have any idea as to what it takes to get one of those machines to actually throttle, not just theoretically??! Especially in the context of what he's doing with it?? I think you've been watching way too many of those lame "MaxTech" videos. It's a complete NON-issue, just clueless FUD from whoever is bringing it up. Period.

I did the math and I'm sorry but it's not what you might think.
Wow. I have NO idea where you got your mad math skills or just BIZARRE exchange rates from, but with the 14" base model as an example (the thing we are talking about here) and in California (general not even max tax rate!):

Before Tax Price: $2,499.00
Sale Tax: 7.25% or $181.18
After Tax Price: $2,680.18

Well gee, let's see… what are $2,680.18 in Euro as of right now?? 🤔

Oh right… 2683.53 €!!

The same Mac in the Netherlands? 2749 €!!

Wanna "do the math" again?? … a whopping 66 € and change more expensive. 😱 Train robbery!!

Never mind—again—that as a business expense you are getting the tax back at the end of the year, and that in the Netherlands is A FULL TWENTY-ONE PERCENT off the total!!

That brings your actual total to WHAT exactly? Oh yeah… (get ready for your reality-check!): not even 2272 € for the base 10-Core 14"!!

And want to hear the real kicker?? Germany for example has 19% and Austria only 10% sales tax but the SAME list price! So you know what that means, right? The Netherlands ARE THE CHEAPEST (of those three and for a business) by up to 11%!

So please… tell me again: WHERE are Macs more expensive??!

🙄 🤦🏼‍♂️

But hey, you go right ahead and completely overthink everything (in the wrong direction). 👍🏼 I'm out.

Last edited:

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hello lin2log,
I have been debating whether to let this go or to give it another try. I rarely slam doors on people on forums as I want to attribute to keeping the community cheerful. My "learn to read" comment was made yesterday at the end of a long and difficult day and I apologise. Reading from your posts, right from the first one, you appear to be strongly convinced of your views and you choose your words and type accordingly. That's fair enough, but it doesn't work for me that well. Still I decided to spend some time today to try and understand each other better. So please read this through and tell me what you think.

It seems like I haven't been able to explain my point well enough for us to be on the same page. Let me try again.

Futureproof buying
I am aware that the MBP model I purchased recently is overpowered for me now, but I choose to buy some headroom in order to keep it for a very long time. I may keep doing what I do now or I may endeavour on new areas of computing. To have that option is value for me. This is why I posted this question here originally and the replies have confirmed my choice.

Apple prices US vs Europe
This was just a quick remark in between, but it appears to have triggered a response from you. So here is my ultimate attempt to explain:

- When I said Apple products in Europe are more expensive than in the US I meant for consumers, not businesses. You are 100% correct that a business can reclaim 21% VAT.

The math is quite elementary really, it’s what you put in that can make or break it. In this case it’s the exchange rate:
- Apple sets the prices for their products at the time of release and maintains that price throughout the product's presence in the store, usually a year for main productes such as iPhones and macbooks. The European prices are determined based on the currency exchange rates that apply at that time.
- Therefore, US vs Eur price comparisons are only meaningful when made just after the release, which is October 2021 for the 14" MacBook Pro and september 2022 for the iPhone 14 series.
- Around October 2021, the USD-EUR exchange rate was 1.17
- Last week, the USD-EUR exchange rate was around 1.00, a dramatic fall, caused largely by market shifts following the russian intervention in Ukraine
- New products that Apple released in September 2022 have seen a 17% price increase: iPhone 14 series, AirPods, Apple Watch series.
- the 14” M1 MacBook Pro price was based on oct 2021 rates and given the 17% currency drop cannot be used at this time to compare Apple’s US/Eur price differences. That is why I took the iPhone 13/14 as an example.
- You will see when the new 14” M2 MacBook Pros are released that Apple will increase Eur prices by 17% or whatever the currency state is at that time.
- Apple prices have always been substantially higher than in the US and I expect them to stay that way.

I hope you made it through this post and I also hope this helped.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Oh puh-leeeeeeeze… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Do you have any idea as to what it takes to get one of those machines to actually throttle, not just theoretically??! Especially in the context of what he's doing with it?? I think you've been watching way too many of those lame "MaxTech" videos. It's a complete NON-issue, just clueless FUD from whoever is bringing it up. Period.

Wow. I have NO idea where you got your mad math skills or just BIZARRE exchange rates from, but with the 14" base model as an example (the thing we are talking about here) and in California (general not even max tax rate!):

Before Tax Price: $2,499.00
Sale Tax: 7.25% or $181.18
After Tax Price: $2,680.18

Well gee, let's see… what are $2,680.18 in Euro as of right now?? 🤔

Oh right… 2683.53 €!!

The same Mac in the Netherlands? 2749 €!!

Wanna "do the math" again?? … a whopping 66 € and change more expensive. 😱 Train robbery!!

Never mind—again—that as a business expense you are getting the tax back at the end of the year, and that in the Netherlands is A FULL TWENTY-ONE PERCENT off the total!!

That brings your actual total to WHAT exactly? Oh yeah… (get ready for your reality-check!): not even 2272 € for the base 10-Core 14"!!

And want to hear the real kicker?? Germany for example has 19% and Austria only 10% sales tax but the SAME list price! So you know what that means, right? The Netherlands ARE THE CHEAPEST (of those three and for a business) by up to 11%!

So please… tell me again: WHERE are Macs more expensive??!

🙄 🤦🏼‍♂️

But hey, you go right ahead and completely overthink everything (in the wrong direction). 👍🏼 I'm out.
Is this how you treat people face to face, or just when you're playing the role of internet keyboard warrior? Hope your mother is proud of you. Peace out.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I am two weeks in with my new production machine and I love it. Even though the long waits (preview building, exporting) have been cut by “only” 60%, the post processing work itself is so much more fluent on the M1 Max.

I checked the GPU usage during an extended PP session and even though it wasn’t maxed out, it was higher than 16GB most of the time. So I think I’m good on the GPU choice, which is why I started this topic.

The memory usage goes to 40-48GB on a typical working day. As many of us know, macOS uses more RAM when it’s available, so I think with a 32GB machine and some swapping I would have been fine as well, especially with the new architecture. I am very very pleased with my decision and with the 800 USD discount I got.

Thanks to all of you for helping out😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.