Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Interesting.

Scottsdale? You're our go-to guy.

Even so, should it be real, which I doubt...it's for the original MBA. Still, the auction provides too little info to go on.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
He specifically mentions it fitting in one of the video ipods... Who volunteers to try it out and have the fastest ipod ever? :D

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
The model number suggests that it's the Kingspec 256gb 1.8" ZIF PATA drive. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be the real deal. Keep in mind that Rev. A owners have had some issues with Kingspec drives in the past.

Maybe I should take up a collection to find out!... with everyone's curiosity, if we all chip in ten bucks, I'll throw it in my Rev. A and report back! Haha.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
How much does Kingston sell it for? I cannot even find it as available yet by Kingston.

Too bad it's for the original MBA and not the v 2,1 MBA!

I wonder how the seller got these? I wonder if they're yet to be released SSDs or prototypes that the seller got from his job/office/company?

I guess the 256 GB SSD in a 1.8" size is here... but why would they make it with a ZIF? Not microSata or SATA-II or LIF?

Weird!

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
How much does Kingston sell it for? I cannot even find it as available yet by Kingston.

Too bad it's for the original MBA and not the v 2,1 MBA!

I wonder how the seller got these? I wonder if they're yet to be released SSDs or prototypes that the seller got from his job/office/company?

I guess the 256 GB SSD in a 1.8" size is here... but why would they make it with a ZIF? Not microSata or SATA-II or LIF?

Weird!

The company is KingSPEC, not Kingston. It is listed on their website, but when you click on the specs for this line of drives, it is no longer listed. It also appears that they do not sell it directly through their site.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Scottsdale?

BTW. You changed your logo/avitar and I was confused for a few minutes.

This would be a huge deal if 256 GB SSDs were available for MBAs at any cost. I sent an email off to the seller on eBay and asked if they have SATA/LIF versions available for rev B/C v 2,1 MBAs. Will let everyone know.

I have to say though that with the speed of the Runcore, I don't think I would be happy with 256 GB SSD unless it were the same speed. I already am used to 128 GBs of drive space and SPEED.

The most important "update" now is 4 GB RAM, or better yet two RAM slots on the next MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.