Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I didn't want to create a new thread, because it seems inefficient. But I looked around and I can't really see my particular query answered anywhere.

I am the (still relatively proud) owner of a mid 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro - the original Retina MacBook Pro. I've had it for about 3 years and it still meets all of my needs. Now being a student, there's no chance of me replacing it any time soon - and I don't much fancy the hot mess that is the 2016 MacBook Pro anyway!

I use it at home attached to two 1080p monitors (AOC G2460P) connected via DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort, running at 144Hz. It has served me well but I've found recently I'm just not using the second monitor and it seems inefficient now. To add to that, it's always kinda bummed me that these monitors are such a contrast to the quality of the Retina display on my MacBook Pro, which I don't see at home as I run it in Clamshell mode. Also I'm pretty sure the colours are way off, and viewing angles are terrible. For this reason, I've decided to replace these two monitors with a single 27" one. This also gives me the opportunity to choose something that would at least compliment the Retina display on my MacBook Pro.

After some research, it seems my MacBook Pro (although with a dedicated GPU) is not powerful enough to run at 4K natively at a reasonable refresh rate. My understanding is that I'd be capped at 30Hz or it just wouldn't work. Having gotten used to 144Hz, the idea of 30Hz makes my eyes bleed.

I think I've worked out that the highest resolution I can natively support (I believe) is 2560 x 1440. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my MacBook Pro shouldn't have an issue running at that resolution natively and at whatever refresh rate the particular monitor supports?

I've found that the Asus MG279Q 27" seems to fit my needs. It's a 2560 x 1440 display, with a maximum of 144Hz refresh rate. Great reviews. It's also an IPS display so the colour is going to be much more accurate, if not 100% accurate (according to some reviews I've read).

I'm going off on a tangent now but what I'm asking is if anyone with experience of a 2560 x 1440 display can vouch for the quality of the screen when compared to a Retina display and if my MacBook Pro will be able to run such a resolution at 144Hz natively, with no problems? Or should I future proof and buy a 4K monitor just in case one day I buy a Mac capable of running 4K (but then, surely 4K monitors will only get cheaper anyway?).

Thanks for your time.

TLDR: Will my mid 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro run a 2560 x 1440 monitor at 144Hz without a problem? Will I be satisfied with the picture quality and colour accuracy of my chosen monitor? Will I regret not taking the plunge on a 4K anyway?

Edit: Got the answer I was looking for, changed title prefix to Resolved. Feel free to lock thread if necessary.

Last edited:

StayPuft

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
The 2012's native resolution is higher than that, so yes ... it should run it fine. Picture quality and color accuracy have literally nothing to do with your Mac. That is entirely based on the kind of monitor you get.

As for 4K, I believe you'll only be able to display the 4K on your 2012 MBP at 30 Hz refresh rate, regardless of the monitor, but the 2012 is capable of driving that resolution ... although it will probably choke depending on what you're doing on your Mac.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
The 2012's native resolution is higher than that, so yes ... it should run it fine. Picture quality and color accuracy have literally nothing to do with your Mac. That is entirely based on the kind of monitor you get.

As for 4K, I believe you'll only be able to display the 4K on your 2012 MBP at 30 Hz refresh rate, regardless of the monitor, but the 2012 is capable of driving that resolution ... although it will probably choke depending on what you're doing on your Mac.

Thanks for your response. I understand that colour accuracy is dependant on the monitor I choose to buy, but I was just asking if my MacBook Pro could drive the resolution. I hadn't thought that it clearly can as its own display is higher resolution than that.

Thanks again.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
When I had my 2012 rMBP, I ran dual 27" 2560x1440 monitors with DisplayPort @ 60Hz each over DisplayPort with no issues. I could also use the laptop screen as a 3rd monitor as well.

I don't think the MBP will drive the monitor at 144Hz, only at 60Hz, which is totally fine and compatible. I'm perfectly happy with the 27" and don't see the need to upgrade to 4k until one of my monitors takes a dump or I decide to get the LG 38" 21:9 monitor

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
When I had my 2012 rMBP, I ran dual 27" 2560x1440 monitors with DisplayPort @ 60Hz each over DisplayPort with no issues. I could also use the laptop screen as a 3rd monitor as well.

I don't think the MBP will drive the monitor at 144Hz, only at 60Hz, which is totally fine and compatible. I'm perfectly happy with the 27" and don't see the need to upgrade to 4k until one of my monitors takes a dump or I decide to get the LG 38" 21:9 monitor

Why don't you think the MBP could support 2560 x 1440 at 144Hz, if the monitor and connection support that speed? Is it because the GPU isn't powerful enough?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Why don't you think the MBP could support 2560 x 1440 at 144Hz, if the monitor and connection support that speed? Is it because the GPU isn't powerful enough?

At first, I thought the GPU wouldn't support it but did a little research and it looks like it may be able to over DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. The HDMI connection defiantly won't support it.

There's not many hardcore gamers on Mac so information for high refresh rates is limited.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
At first, I thought the GPU wouldn't support it but did a little research and it looks like it may be able to over DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. The HDMI connection defiantly won't support it.

There's not many hardcore gamers on Mac so information for high refresh rates is limited.

Okay, thanks for taking the time to look that up for me. I do appreciate it.

My existing monitors are connected via miniDisplayPort - DisplayPort so I'm getting full refresh speeds. So shouldn't be an issue on the new monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.