Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Fellow designers please help...:eek:
Should I switch to a higher storage or a 1tb external hard drive is good for me?

I bought **base model of the 15inch rmbp. Is this enough for all the programs I'm going to use if I buy a 1tb hard drive to store files for school?

I'm planning to use this laptop for 5 years. Please don't say "oh you can't use a laptop for that long etc..."

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to drop $2000 on a new laptop every 2 years like people do here.

Starting school this year... I'm ***NOT*** a gamer.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Fellow designers please help...:eek:
Should I switch to a higher storage or a 1tb external hard drive is good for me?

I bought **base model of the 15inch rmbp. Is this enough for all the programs I'm going to use if I buy a 1tb hard drive to store files for school?

I'm planning to use this laptop for 5 years. Please don't say "oh you can't use a laptop for that long etc..."

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to drop $2000 on a new laptop every 2 years like people do here.

Starting school this year... I'm ***NOT*** a gamer.

If you are only using the internal storage for apps then it's more than enough. If you are using lots of layers in PS then a 16gb maybe more beneficial.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
my 15" has 16gb ram and 256gb flash storage so I'm good i guess...? i don't think I'm going to download a lot of apps from the app store. Nothing interests me right now. Just adobe creative suite programs i think...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The apps are not going to be push you over the edge storage wise, its having a large iTunes library, or a lot of media files. For me, I use Lightroom and my images take up about 300gb, couple that with my other data and I'm using about 500gb of storage.

Given what you state, it seems conceivable and likely that you'll be able to live within 256GB of storage.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Oh ok thank u. I DO have the money to update to a higher storage, but i cant switch computers every few years after this one.

Just got my computer and if i switch to higher storage now is the time.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Oh ok thank u. I DO have the money to update to a higher storage, but i cant switch computers every few years after this one.

IF you can afford it though why not lol. I personally like having some "space" from being full so I opted for the 256GB 13 inch vs keeping the 128GB model. Yeah it was livable but I wanted the peace of mind of having more internal storage.

Reactions: EssieInc

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I don't see why you would need the storage...

Can't you just use an external drive..they're cheap now, and I imagine the bulk of people do use them now.

Barry01

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
When you get into video work, you will need more. I have 300gb left on my terabyte. I am a graphics designer by trade.

Just get external drive when you need it and keep good file organization.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

I work at an art department in a university and see lots of students who underestimate how much space they actually need. Having to rely on an external disk as a student is a bad idea for many reasons: loss/theft, dropping the disk, forgetting it at your apartment or dorm (and I see this happen ALL the time at work) all mean that you won't have access to what you need for work all the time. Another factor is that external drives draw extra power and I see lots of students who are searching for outlets so that they can power their computer all day long.
I would suggest that you get the larger disk now if this is your only chance for 5 years. It will make doing your work much easier. Equally important: get an external disk you can leave in your dorm or apartment. This will be your backup disk, so don't carry it with you when you're in classes or using your computer when you are out. Instead, connect it to your computer when you are near the disk and let it back up your computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: EssieInc

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
I work at an art department in a university and see lots of students who underestimate how much space they actually need. Having to rely on an external disk as a student is a bad idea for many reasons: loss/theft, dropping the disk, forgetting it at your apartment or dorm (and I see this happen ALL the time at work) all mean that you won't have access to what you need for work all the time.
I would suggest that you get the larger disk now if this is your only chance for 5 years. It will make doing your work much easier. Equally important: get an external disk you can leave in your dorm or apartment. This will be your backup disk, so don't carry it with you when you're in classes or using your computer when you are out. Instead, connect it to your computer when you are near the disk and let it back up your computer.

Ok so how do i reset the computer for me to return it? And HOW MUCH more do u recommend?
[doublepost=1452612735][/doublepost]Isnt a ssd card enough tho?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok so how do i reset the computer for me to return it? And HOW MUCH more do u recommend?
Given how I see art and design students use technology, I don't recommend using an SD card. We recommend our students buy the 512GB configuration, which seems to be enough for most everything. If you keep a large photo or video library, or lots of movies and such, you might want to go to the 1TB, but for just academic work, that will probably be more than needed.
If you'll be doing animation and video as part of your work, and your budget allows, then the 1TB disk would certainly give you the most room, but it's really hard to predict what you'll actually need.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

But then - there's a thread with people posting their dGPU is having issues..

If a part is going to go out, it will likely be the dGPU (which is in the higher storage 15", not the base model).

So if you really want a computer to last 5 years, it's more likely going to be the model you have now...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

If a part is going to go out, it will likely be the dGPU (which is in the higher storage 15", not the base model).

So if you really want a computer to last 5 years, it's more likely going to be the model you have now...
Apple will sell the larger SSD in the models which have the integrated GPU. I too would stick with the integrated GPU model but upgrade the storage.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016

Interesting...never thought about that.
But i got model for 1819 :( i guess i have to order it via online...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you're not ever going to come close to using that space, then its a waste of money. Just because you can buy it, doesn't mean its a good idea.

Still you can't exactly upgrade it by normal means which i mean by going to reputable sources like Amazon or newegg and buy a SSD and put a new one in there. I don't trust those other sites and internal storage will always be faster and much more convenient than external storage specially if your on the go a lot.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Lets see here:
I don't play games or never will in the future.
I will not put music here because I use my phone and use soundcloud like services anyway.
I'm going to make some videos for youtube (in the future) but I was planning to put all those in external storage anyway no matter what storage I get.

The only things I want to keep in the laptop are my school papers and art projects.
I'm pretty careful of what I save in my computers.

I'm torn apart honestly...

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Given how I see art and design students use technology, I don't recommend using an SD card. We recommend our students buy the 512GB configuration, which seems to be enough for most everything. If you keep a large photo or video library, or lots of movies and such, you might want to go to the 1TB, but for just academic work, that will probably be more than needed.
If you'll be doing animation and video as part of your work, and your budget allows, then the 1TB disk would certainly give you the most room, but it's really hard to predict what you'll actually need.
Why don't you recommend SD cards? They now sell ones that completely fit in the rmbps.
[doublepost=1452652812][/doublepost]they are also pretty indestructible because they're so small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.