Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoKeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2002
Aren't we about due for a 25th anniversary mac? (I'm pretty sure that the 20th came out in '97).

Sorry if this is rumormongering...

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
well if there were to be a 25th anniversary mac, I wonder what model they would choose for it? or perhaps a whole new limited model? I'd bet on the iMac, but it would be cool if apple integrated a little something in all the new macs. would can only hope.:)

lmasanti

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It should be 25th Apple anniversary.

If I'm not wrong, Apple went to busines in 1977 (Apple I appeared in 1976)

Macs were born in January 24th, 1984.

In my opinion, the 20th Ann was a marvellous design with a little old hardware. (And a very inconvenient price.)

Maybe a new concept machine would be the best for the next aniversary... but with the iMac it is hard to imagine a really new design (...but I'm sure Apple will surprise us)

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I think that they should release a 20th anniversary mac in 2004.

If they are going to release a 25th anniversary apple they better hurry 2002 is almost over. I do no think that they will. There will not be any new desktops till january. I they do they will have to have a better price than the 20th ann. one. Few will be willing to pay $10,000 (the 20th one was 9k or 10k) for a mac even if it is a collector's piece.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by Vector
If they are going to release a 25th anniversary apple they better hurry 2002 is almost over.

If I recall correctly the 20th anniversary mac was announced a little late, so that might not necessarily be true.

I doubt they will though, partly because apple has created a very regimented product matrix. But you never know. Also, I doubt anyone would pay 9000 dollars, so it probably wouldn't be worth the design cost.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Wait a sec...I think I know what the 25th anniversary Mac was:

The Flat Panel iMac!

Remember it was more than revolutionary!
Greater than the rumor sites could guess.

etc... etc... etc...
Or do you forget Apple's website advertising in the week leading to Macworld New York 2002?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by gopher
Wait a sec...I think I know what the 25th anniversary Mac was:

The Flat Panel iMac!

But what good would it be not to announce the LCD iMac as the 25th Anniv. model? They won't do it later, after the fact, I don't think. If they come out with a limited edition mac, which doesn't seem likely at this point, it would probably be a funky, over priced iMac or a TiPB.

Does anyone know how many 20th anniv. Macs they sold? All I remember is seeing it in several seasons of Seinfeld.

D

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well Apple built 12,000 TAM's, but I don't know how many were sold, I do belive the price of them went down to about 2grand after a while though. Heres a pic.
Oh and they were actually $7,500

Attachments

• aniversary.gif
    aniversary.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,577

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
medea, the page where (I assume) you retrieved the picture lists that "The Twentieth Anniversary Mac was a limited edition, and sold for nearly $10,000. Its price was cut to as low as $1,999 and it was discontinued in March 1998."

http://www.apple-history.com/quickgallery.html?where=aniversary.html

As for a Twentififth Aniv, 30, 35, etc., I strongly doubt it. The machine had an abundance of extra and leading tech (for 1997) features, which really makes this more Powerful than the PowerMac.

The idea of the iMac G4 being the 25th Aniv. Mac sounds like nonsense, since it doesn't cost $10000, doesn't have a sub, and doesn't have FM Radio built in, except for a radio tuner in iTunes. :)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
They said the same thing at Macworld about the Flat Panel iMac as they did in a commercial about the 20th anniversary Mac:

something along the lines of "It is the most ambitious project we've ever done."

A hint for those remember the 20th anniversary Mac.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
i got the 20th anniversary ad, so if anyone want it, just send me a message

PaisleyMF

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2002
Puerto Rico
Let's see. Apple Build the 20th Anniversary and then (and almost from it) the iMac, How about use the same style as the 20th in a clear case, as the first iMacs with some glitter on (a graphite with silver glitter) since is the 25th anniversary of Apple (the silver anniversary) Or that's just maybe they are stiking on white and Metalic finishing touches to the line... what if what if...

BoKeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2002
Maybe we won't see a 25th anniversary Mac because Apple doesn't have much to offer for a novelty system...

In 1997, LCDs were not very common, making the 20th a cool toy...what could Apple offer nowadays that would compare?

-Native S-Video Outputs (not anything new)
-Dolby 5.1 Audio Output
-Wireless Keyboard/Mouse included (Bluetooth?)

These are all features that should eventually make it into the standard G4 line....maybe Apple's stuck for ideas?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, definitely the 20th Anniversary Mac was over priced & the technology was old. If there is a 25th Anniversary Mac hopefully they've learned there lesson. :)

lmasanti

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Let's see. Apple Build the 20th Anniversary and then (and almost from it) the iMac,

The 20th was... something like a desktop-laptop... a plane computer, with an amazing suporting foot and the powersupply-with-buffer.

I think that ithe "origina" iMac is far from that design.

Yes, the actua iMac is more onthe idea of the 20th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.