Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sccjrd

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2022
Italy
I've used all types of keyboard. None of them is the one it camed with because i bought it used and i think this model camed with the wireless one with the replaceable batteries.

I've tried with an old wireless one from apple(Model A1016) two wired full sized ones with different layouts still from apple (Model A1243) and two different windows just because (A Razer and an old Cherry one).

wpdv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
I just bought a 2020 27" iMac that I'd like to connect to my mid-2010 27" iMac (10.13.6) and use it a target monitor if possible. Is there a cable or cable/adapter that will work between these to iMacs? Would a cable like this one work?

Last edited:

wpdv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Reporting back. I ended up purchasing this cable and it works AWESOME! I have my mid-2010 27" iMac now connected to the 2020 27" iMac. On the 2010, hold Command and the F2 keys to get it to enter target mode. Use the same keys to exit. I am logged out of my 2010, though it might work if i were logged in (haven't tested).

I did run into a minor issue that made me think that this cable setup might not work so I thought I'd share my findings. On the 2020, open System Preferences > Displays, you'll see Built-in Display (that's the 2020), and iMac (that's the 2010). Click on the icon for each of these and configure them individually. If you want to use your 2010 iMac as an 'extended display', select that, AND arrange the two iMac icons to be in the same order (left and/or right) as your physical setup is. I kept trying to move my mouse to the right from the 2020 to the 2010 and couldn't get it to work. What was not clear to me at first is that the iMac icon on the left (in Built-in Display), should be the same as the physical iMac to your left on your physical desk. To rearrange the icons, click on 'Arrange' and drag one icon over the top edge of the other icon to match your physical setup (left and right iMacs). I am VERY, VERY happy with the setup. Hope this helps someone else :)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Reporting back. I ended up purchasing this cable and it works AWESOME! I have my mid-2010 27" iMac now connected to the 2020 27" iMac. On the 2010, hold Command and the F2 keys to get it to enter target mode. Use the same keys to exit. I am logged out of my 2010, though it might work if i were logged in (haven't tested).

I did run into a minor issue that made me think that this cable setup might not work so I thought I'd share my findings. On the 2020, open System Preferences > Displays, you'll see Built-in Display (that's the 2020), and iMac (that's the 2010). Click on the icon for each of these and configure them individually. If you want to use your 2010 iMac as an 'extended display', select that, AND arrange the two iMac icons to be in the same order (left and/or right) as your physical setup is. I kept trying to move my mouse to the right from the 2020 to the 2010 and couldn't get it to work. What was not clear to me at first is that the iMac icon on the left (in Built-in Display), should be the same as the physical iMac to your left on your physical desk. To rearrange the icons, click on 'Arrange' and drag one icon over the top edge of the other icon to match your physical setup (left and right iMacs). I am VERY, VERY happy with the setup. Hope this helps someone else :)
Thanks for posting your update. Many times, people never update the threads on things that was asked and answered, so we never know how it went, and people doing searches on a similar issue are not sure if the suggested solutions worked or not.

Could you post what OS versions you are using on both Macs, please?

wpdv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for posting your update. Many times, people never update the threads on things that was asked and answered, so we never know how it went, and people doing searches on a similar issue are not sure if the suggested solutions worked or not.

Could you post what OS versions you are using on both Macs, please?
Yes, good point. 2010 27" iMac (10.13.6), and the 2020 27" iMac (13.0.1)
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 3.15.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 3.15.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 3.15.58 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hi All,

I have an 2010 iMac 11.6.8. iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011), and M1 Macbook 13-inch, 2020.
Can i use iMac as a monitor by using the cable picture i attach below?

Sorry i'm confusing between those thunder bolt/mini display port .
Hope can get answer from you guys.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If the cable below not work, can help to give me a link about what cable should i buy?
So easier for me to look for similar cable locally.
tl;dr the whole thread but no - it shouldn't work with a 2020 MacBook. "The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier" - from here.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
tl;dr the whole thread but no - it won't work with a 2020 MacBook. "The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier" - from here.

The 2009 and 2010 iMac 27s have a different version of Target Display Mode. Any device that can put out a DisplayPort signal can use these models as monitors. Windows, game controllers, etc. I have both the 2009 and 2010 iMacs and you can use them as monitors with DisplayPort input.

Reactions: EugW

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
tl;dr the whole thread but no - it won't work with a 2020 MacBook. "The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier" - from here.

This is not accurate, as it only is true for the Target iMacs with Thunderbolt. It doesn't apply to the Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMacs with Mini DisplayPort.

Edit: Missed "2010".

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is not accurate, as it only is true for the Target iMacs with Thunderbolt. It doesn't apply to the Late 2009 to Mid 27" iMacs with Mini DisplayPort.
The limitation is still shown in the document - but yes, you’re right it “Should” work. Emphasis on “should”

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
This is not accurate, as it only is true for the Target iMacs with Thunderbolt. It doesn't apply to the Late 2009 to Mid [2010] 27" iMacs with Mini DisplayPort.
I didn’t mention that since the OP has a 2010 iMac. But yes, that is a valid exemption.
Actually, I some how missed typing "2010" after the word "mid" in my post. I will edit my post.

The Mid 2010 27" iMac behaves the same way as the Late 2009 27" iMac, and can be used as the Target iMac in Target Display Mode with newer 2020 and beyond Macs.

The Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMacs could even be used as displays for non-Apple products, including some game consoles. Pretty much anything that can output in DisplayPort can be used as a source.

It wasn't until the first Thunderbolt iMac, the Mid 2011, that it became more restrictive what could be used as the source.

WaffleMXM

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Last Dream
Hello everyone,
I have been using my late 2009 27" iMac as a display for my xbox for quite a long time now. I do get very tired of having to switch between High Sierra (for TDM) and Mojave(for everything else) so I was very excited when I heard these news that Monterey now supports TDM as well - however when I followed the OpenCore instructions to get Monterey up and running - TDM wouldn't fire up. It would do the same thing as it does on Mojave when pressing cmd + f2 it just goes black for a split second and goes back to the normal screen. Is there anything special that has to be done after installing Monterey to get TDM running?
Thanks!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello everyone,
I have been using my late 2009 27" iMac as a display for my xbox for quite a long time now. I do get very tired of having to switch between High Sierra (for TDM) and Mojave(for everything else) so I was very excited when I heard these news that Monterey now supports TDM as well - however when I followed the OpenCore instructions to get Monterey up and running - TDM wouldn't fire up. It would do the same thing as it does on Mojave when pressing cmd + f2 it just goes black for a split second and goes back to the normal screen. Is there anything special that has to be done after installing Monterey to get TDM running?
Thanks!

It's possible that this is referring to the Airplay to Mac feature that was added in Monterey - which isn't the same as TDM for 2009 and 2010 iMacs.

WaffleMXM

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Last Dream
Hello everyone,
Thanks!
UPDATE: I got TDM working on Big Sur by repeatedly pressing CMD F2 - after about a minute of trying it posted to the DP input - brightness control did not work neither did the audio.

lkar

Suspended
Nov 14, 2015
Actually, I some how missed typing "2010" after the word "mid" in my post. I will edit my post.

The Mid 2010 27" iMac behaves the same way as the Late 2009 27" iMac, and can be used as the Target iMac in Target Display Mode with newer 2020 and beyond Macs.

The Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMacs could even be used as displays for non-Apple products, including some game consoles. Pretty much anything that can output in DisplayPort can be used as a source.

It wasn't until the first Thunderbolt iMac, the Mid 2011, that it became more restrictive what could be used as the source.

Hello, I have a 2010 27” iMac and 3 questions if anyone has personal experience with this, given what was written above.

1. If I get a PC and use the iMac as a monitor, is there any way to adjust the brightness? (As the iMac does not have the brightness/contrast buttons like a traditional monitor, and the computer is a PC not a Mac with an apple keyboard with f1/f2 keys.
  2. If I get a Mac mini, like the m1, and use the iMac as the monitor, can anyone confirm that the f1 and f2 keys will change the brightness?
  3. Do I have to press cmd + f2 every time after I start up the Mac mini (or PC) and the iMac, to have them connect via target display mode? Or will it have a memory and do it automatically?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello, I have a 2010 27” iMac and 3 questions if anyone has personal experience with this, given what was written above.

1. If I get a PC and use the iMac as a monitor, is there any way to adjust the brightness? (As the iMac does not have the brightness/contrast buttons like a traditional monitor, and the computer is a PC not a Mac with an apple keyboard with f1/f2 keys.
  2. If I get a Mac mini, like the m1, and use the iMac as the monitor, can anyone confirm that the f1 and f2 keys will change the brightness?
  3. Do I have to press cmd + f2 every time after I start up the Mac mini (or PC) and the iMac, to have them connect via target display mode? Or will it have a memory and do it automatically?

You need to have a keyboard to connect to the iMac and you can control screen brightness with that keyboard.

I believe that the 2009 and 2010 iMacs will automatically go into TDM when you plug in an external video source. I'm not sure what happens on a cold boot with the devices already connected.

lkar

Suspended
Nov 14, 2015
You need to have a keyboard to connect to the iMac and you can control screen brightness with that keyboard.

I believe that the 2009 and 2010 iMacs will automatically go into TDM when you plug in an external video source. I'm not sure what happens on a cold boot with the devices already connected.

Damn, so if I understand this correctly, I would need 2 sets of keyboard on my desk if I want full functionality of my computer (for regular typing usage) and my monitor (for adjusting the brightness)?

Or if I get a mac mini, can the mac mini's keyboard have some way to take over the brightness control of the imac, then I can put away the iMac keyboard? Or is that not possible? I am hopeful that i can just have one keyboard...

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Damn, so if I understand this correctly, I would need 2 sets of keyboard on my desk if I want full functionality of my computer (for regular typing usage) and my monitor (for adjusting the brightness)?

Or if I get a mac mini, can the mac mini's keyboard have some way to take over the brightness control of the imac, then I can put away the iMac keyboard? Or is that not possible? I am hopeful that i can just have one keyboard...

I have always done it with 2 keyboards. The keyboard on the iMac is ideally an Apple keyboard as well. You need it to login to the iMac when you boot it up anyways.

lkar

Suspended
Nov 14, 2015
I have always done it with 2 keyboards. The keyboard on the iMac is ideally an Apple keyboard as well. You need it to login to the iMac when you boot it up anyways.

Really, so now there needs to be 2 logins in order to get a monitor to work? I just assumed that if you use plugged the iMac as target display mode then it can be left alone to be used a monitor without any login or other settings changes. My dad won't like this, I am thinking I should just get him a proper 27" monitor instead, what do you think? How is your experience using an old iMac as a monitor. I can see why apple dropped this feature, it now seems like a hassle to use.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Really, so now there needs to be 2 logins in order to get a monitor to work? I just assumed that if you use plugged the iMac as target display mode then it can be left alone to be used a monitor without any login or other settings changes. My dad won't like this, I am thinking I should just get him a proper 27" monitor instead, what do you think? How is your experience using an old iMac as a monitor. I can see why apple dropped this feature, it now seems like a hassle to use.

Here's a description of how to use it.

It's useful if you want to use it as a monitor in a pinch or want to share the monitor with another system. One way I used it was where I wanted to run on the iMac along with using it as a monitor with another system as you can switch back and forth between the iMac and Target Display Mode. If you just need a monitor, then a plain monitor is the better way to go.

One reason why 2009/2010 iMacs are attractive to some as monitors as you can pick these up for $25 - $75 dollars and an equivalent standalone monitor would cost a lot more. You get speakers too.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Hi there,

I have a question and I think this is the right topic.

I have a macbook air m1 connected to a lg32 4k, but i also have an old imac 27 2010, how can i use the imac 2010 as a second monitor?

I know that apple doesn't officially support two external monitors on the m1, but I also know that there are several other solutions to do this.

Is there someone who can help me?

Thank you

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hi there,

I have a question and I think this is the right topic.

I have a macbook air m1 connected to a lg32 4k, but i also have an old imac 27 2010, how can i use the imac 2010 as a second monitor?

I know that apple doesn't officially support two external monitors on the m1, but I also know that there are several other solutions to do this.

Is there someone who can help me?

Thank you

You can buy DisplayLink hardware to do this or use screen sharing.

skben

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2023
Hello! I've been browsing the forum, and I got the impression that you are more knowledgeable about these issues than Apple's official support. I hope you can help me!

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), and I spontaneously bought an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) with High Sierra, hoping to use it as a backup computer and an external monitor. Later, I bought an Apple Thunderbolt Cable and quickly realized it was a mistake. After speaking with official support, I purchased a DisplayPort Cable, but when I connect it, there is no response.

I tried testing Luna Display, but the result was not suitable for comfortable work. Additionally, the connection is made through shared Wi-Fi, ignoring the connected cable.

After reading the forum, I got the impression that not only the operating system and year of release matter but also the screen size. It seems that everything works fine with a 27-inch screen, but there is no mention of a 21-inch screen.

Is there any way to connect my computers using DisplayPort or some other cables? I'm trying to understand what the problem might be and if it's even possible. Perhaps there are some hacks or workarounds. Thank you in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.