Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drwmrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm new here, don't stone me.
I'm considering buying a 2011 iMac 27 for the most part as a second monitor, but I want to have its maximum configuration. As I understand the top CPU+GPU option is 2660s (I'm aware of the heatsink tuning) + 880M. Who can tell me the maximum RAM with this config and is there a possibility to upgrade USB to 3.0 (will there be no problems with consumption ? And what max macOS will stand up at full performance? Thanks

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm considering buying a 2011 iMac 27 for the most part as a second monitor,
Second monitor for what Mac?

Who can tell me the maximum RAM with this config
32GB

is there a possibility to upgrade USB to 3.0
With the Mid 2011 iMac, USB3+ can be obtained from using TB docks, such as a TB3 dock (doesn't have to be TB3, it is just easier to find than TB1 and TB2), and there are also HW mods you can do with replacing the AirPort Card.

And what max macOS will stand up at full performance?
This totally depends on what you plan on doing with it, and you will get a bunch of answers.

If using Target Display Mode, you probably do not want to go past High Sierra, or at least have another boot drive with High Sierra on it for Target Display Mode.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If using Target Display Mode, you probably do not want to go past High Sierra, or at least have another boot drive with High Sierra on it for Target Display Mode.
Another thing is that the 2011 iMacs introduced Thunderbolt Target Display Mode which won’t work using an Apple Silicon Mac or PC as a source. The source (pretty much) has to be an Intel Mac running macOS.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Another thing is that the 2011 iMacs introduced Thunderbolt Target Display Mode which won’t work using an Apple Silicon Mac or PC as a source.
Yup, it is why I asked the OP what Mac was going to be used as a source. I have seen a lot of posts with people assuming that it would work.

The Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMacs work with AS Macs, or even non-Apple devices as long as they support DisplayPort out.

If the OP was planning on getting the Mid-2011 iMac with the intentions of using it as a second display with one of the AS Macs, I was going to suggest using a Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMac instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.