Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The plan is to replace the 2010 iMac with the new 27" (or more) i Mac that is rumoured to appear by the end of the year... so im considering to connecting the 2010 iMac with a M1 mini so the great display will not go to waste. But, before i buy the M1mini i want to research if i can make this use. Thats why i cannot find out just by buying a cable.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The plan is to replace the 2010 iMac with the new 27" (or more) i Mac that is rumoured to appear by the end of the year... so im considering to connecting the 2010 iMac with a M1 mini so the great display will not go to waste. But, before i buy the M1mini i want to research if i can make this use. Thats why i cannot find out just by buying a cable.

If it's just a researh, then you don't have to do anymore. Someone else has done for you already.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im afraid because they are diff computers... one has a display, the other doesn't. You think there no risk?

Adv34

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
Hello. For $200 I am offered to buy an imac 27 inch 2011 (video card 6770 512) I want to use a display for pc Tell me, when TDM is running, does it use an apple or PC video card? Is the apple card resting during TDM and there is no overheating? The seller said that the 6770 card is very reliable (3-5 years of use every day 10 hours a day)), since there is a lot of space in 27 inches and not very warm. It's true? Thank you

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello. For $200 I am offered to buy an imac 27 inch 2011 (video card 6770 512) I want to use a display for pc Tell me, when TDM is running, does it use an apple or PC video card? Is the apple card resting during TDM and there is no overheating? The seller said that the 6770 card is very reliable (3-5 years of use every day 10 hours a day)), since there is a lot of space in 27 inches and not very warm. It's true? Thank you

You can only do that with 2009 and 2010 iMacs. 2011 iMacs can only be used for Target Display Mode via Thunderbolt and you are limited to Macs before 2020 that also have to be running non-current macOS operating systems. The 2009 is quite warm when used in Target Display Mode. I think that the 2010 isn't as warm though I haven't tested it out. The 2010 runs somewhat cooler than the 2009.

Reactions: Amethyst1

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I think ive asked this before but i cant find the answer (sorry).
Suppose the GPU of my mid2010 imac is down and out (not working at all) can i still use the iMacs display to work from a diff mac?

How can i delete this post? Ive found the answer ;)

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to connect a controller board and its power adapter, to test the iMacs display, but without removing anything from the iMacs guts ?
I don't wish to make a permanent installation, i only want to check if the display is working flawlessly.

Last edited:

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, you can. AliExpress/eBay vendors sell LG 5K screen ‘test’ kits, which hundreds of people have used to make permanent 5K monitors from old iMacs like yours.
To connect such a board temporarily would be possible.
You would have to disconnect the panel‘s video cable at the monitor’s input connection, and connect the backlight cable from the iMac panel to the board’s cable.
Both can be reset back after you have finished.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks PaulD-UK, im mostly asking to know if the controller bopard cables will fit to be connected to the display if i don't take out any iMac parts (logic board, gpu, power supply and what ever else needed). I wanna check it temporarily to see if its working fine at first and then if all seems to be fine, ill get in the hassle to remove everything from inside the iMac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.