Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a mid 2010 Mac Pro with an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt). I'm thinking of upgrading to a late 2013 Mac Pro and was wondering if i can use my display with this new Mac Pro? Is there some kind of adapter i can use to connect the Mini-Display Port to the 2013 Mac Pro's USB3, Thunderbolt or HDMI ports? If so, what would be the best way to go with this?

Thanks!

HiroThreading

macrumors member
May 1, 2017
Thunderbolt 1 and 2 is fully compatible with the DisplayPort standard. Furthermore, Thunderbolt 1 and 2 uses the same physical connector as Mini DisplayPort.

Therefore, no, you will not need to purchase any adapters. It’s just plug and play.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Thunderbolt 1 and 2 is fully compatible with the DisplayPort standard. Furthermore, Thunderbolt 1 and 2 uses the same physical connector as Mini DisplayPort.

Therefore, no, you will not need to purchase any adapters. It’s just plug and play.
Really? :eek: Wow, that's great news! Thanks so much for your help!!

Phrequensi

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2015
Works perfectly; it's my work setup.
That's great!
I have a LED 27" Cinema Display, that works fine on my old macbook that I fixed up,
but not a thing on my Mac Pro 6,1, 2013.
I know it should work, but I can't figure it out to save my life.
I'm running 10.14.6

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
That's great!
I have a LED 27" Cinema Display, that works fine on my old macbook that I fixed up,
but not a thing on my Mac Pro 6,1, 2013.
I know it should work, but I can't figure it out to save my life.
I'm running 10.14.6
How many displays are connected to the 6,1? Besides the Cinema Display?

Phrequensi

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2015
How many displays are connected to the 6,1? Besides the Cinema Display?
I use an Acer 23" LED via a Mini-DP to HDMI cable.
I've alternated all hookups, from Cinema Display only,
to both Acer and Mac Monitors, to Cinema Display Only, with and without the USB.
What does seem to work is the Display Audio Out, iSight, and USB Hub.
No picture though and it doesn't show up in the display prefs panel
I'm grinding my teeth because I'm so close, but so far away. I can't solve the problem.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.