Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hi guys,

I’m planning on getting the new Mac Mini and was wondering if i could use my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) with it? Is there some kind of adapter i can use to connect the Mini-Display Port to the Mac Mini’s Thunderbolt, USB or HDMI ports? If so, what would be the best way to go with this?

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi guys,

I’m planning on getting the new Mac Mini and was wondering if i could use my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) with it? Is there some kind of adapter i can use to connect the Mini-Display Port to the Mac Mini’s Thunderbolt, USB or HDMI ports? If so, what would be the best way to go with this?

Thanks!
It'll work fine. Just get a USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter. You'll need to plug the display's USB cable into one of the USB-A ports on the Mini too.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Techieman75

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I would be careful, I just got my i7 w/ 16 gb of ram and connected it to a 27” display via HDMI 2.0 and it runs like crap. The unit runs very sluggish and is almost unusable. I’m going to try and eGPU, but I’m kinda pissed that I spent over 1k for the mini and the unit can’t even handle a single display well let alone two, that’s even worse.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
It should work fine, although I'd probably pick something that has a short cable instead of the one-piece adapter to keep a little more room around the ports.
Yeah, good point. Thanks lot for your help!
[doublepost=1541786351][/doublepost]
I would be careful, I just got my i7 w/ 16 gb of ram and connected it to a 27” display via HDMI 2.0 and it runs like crap. The unit runs very sluggish and is almost unusable. I’m going to try and eGPU, but I’m kinda pissed that I spent over 1k for the mini and the unit can’t even handle a single display well let alone two, that’s even worse.
Ahhh, really? :( Please let me know how you get on with it. Cheers!

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
What are you seeing/doing that is slow?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Not enough information. It should work fine with the right adapter.

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
In can confirm that my Mac mini 2018 is working flawlessly with my Cinema Display 27". I bought a USB-C to MDP adapter from Amazon and everything works as expected. Volume and brightness keys also work fine.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
In can confirm that my Mac mini 2018 is working flawlessly with my Cinema Display 27". I bought a USB-C to MDP adapter from Amazon and everything works as expected. Volume and brightness keys also work fine.
That's great to hear :) Thanks mate! Could you please link me to the adapter you bought on Amazon? Cheers!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Techieman75

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Why wouldn't you just use the Mini's built-in HDMI output port?

Or are you using two separate 4K displays? The mini may be a bit underpowered to effectively run two 4K displays, even though it technically supports it.

Also, what applications are you experiencing lag in?
Resizing windows such as chrome is horrendous and even video playback from YouTube is bad. I’ll try to make a video. I did try one of the 4K monitors on the built in hdmi port and it was better but still sluggish in my opinion.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Resizing windows such as chrome is horrendous and even video playback from YouTube is bad. I’ll try to make a video. I did try one of the 4K monitors on the built in hdmi port and it was better but still sluggish in my opinion.
Any signs of this with you @FearGhost ? It would be just my luck to have the same issues :rolleyes:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Resizing Safari windows while playing videos is horrible in 4K resolution, even with my GTX Titan X graphics card in my Mac Pro 4,1. E.g. when resizing the Quicktime Player window all is smooth.

However; the Intel HD 630 graphics isn't really strong, especially with two 4K display's. I would recommend an eGPU.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for all your answers guys! I only use my computer for music production, so i'm guessing i'll be ok without an eGPU?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Thanks for all your answers guys! I only use my computer for music production, so i'm guessing i'll be ok without an eGPU?

You should be just fine.
[doublepost=1541884415][/doublepost]
Here is the video.

Link -
https://cloud.cpnllc.com:4443/nextcloud/index.php/s/XNGkHejiTJK75jL/download

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

That is extremely strange.
Here is the video.

Link -
https://cloud.cpnllc.com:4443/nextcloud/index.php/s/XNGkHejiTJK75jL/download

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

That seems "normal" to me. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with discrete graphics that are old enough to be about the same as the integrated graphics on the modern mini, and that's what I get on a 1080p monitor or a 4K monitor. It's just "too much" for the CPU+GPU to handle updating the window while resizing. If you resize a Finder window, do you see the same? I would guess not, since there is far less to update while resizing.

Techieman75

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
You should be just fine.
[doublepost=1541884415][/doublepost]

That is extremely strange.

That seems "normal" to me. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with discrete graphics that are old enough to be about the same as the integrated graphics on the modern mini, and that's what I get on a 1080p monitor or a 4K monitor. It's just "too much" for the CPU+GPU to handle updating the window while resizing. If you resize a Finder window, do you see the same? I would guess not, since there is far less to update while resizing.

Finder is fine, it's just anything that has some graphics in it. Standard web browsing or watching videos. I'll post an update once I get the eGPU tomorrow and see how it handles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.