Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So I got a second hand display from eBay and the seller listed it as a 27" Thunderbolt A1407 but what I received was a 27" Cinema Display A1316.

They look identical, display looks identical, just 1 year difference in design.

It works with my M1 Mini even though it uses up an USB port in addition to the MiniDisplay connector into the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter....

What is your thoughts on the 27" Cinema display vs Thunderbolt display ?

Any advantages of one over the other ?

Should I keep it, ask for discount or return it ???

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
If you have it working with the TB 3>2 adapter then it's the Thunderbolt version, you would need a USB-C or HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter to connect the Cinema.

That said, their practical difference is that the TB one has additional Thunderbolt, FireWire and Ethernet ports in addition to 3 USB ports, i have both of them and their picture rendition is 99% identical, they have a very slightly different colour profile but nothing that stands out.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
If you have it working with the TB 3>2 adapter then it's the Thunderbolt version, you would need a USB-C or HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter to connect the Cinema.

That said, their practical difference is that the TB one has additional Thunderbolt, FireWire and Ethernet ports in addition to 3 USB ports, i have both of them and their picture rendition is 99% identical, they have a very slightly different colour profile but nothing that stands out.
You are correct - the USB-C / TB3 port will not display on a Cinema Display using the MiniDP plug w/ adapter.

But the 16" MBP can still 'see' the Cinema display connected with identification as the correct monitor, speakers and iSight camera:

Image 1-12-21 at 10.52 AM (1).JPG

Attachments

• Image 1-12-21 at 10.52 AM (1).JPG
    Image 1-12-21 at 10.52 AM (1).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 177

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012

Would you mind sharing the 1% difference with us? Is the colour profile better on one of them in your opinion?

I have the LED Cinema Display but I'm planing, like OP, to switch to a new Mac Mini – wanted to get the M1 but I'll wait for the next model that comes out.

And I'm thinking if it's worth the hassle exchanging my Cinema Display with a Thunderbolt Display. They're worth the same approximately, so wouldn't cost me anything I guess. Only downside: It will be used, and in that matter, I "know" mine already, how it behaves, how it sounds, etc. …

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Would you mind sharing the 1% difference with us? Is the colour profile better on one of them in your opinion?

I have the LED Cinema Display but I'm planing, like OP, to switch to a new Mac Mini – wanted to get the M1 but I'll wait for the next model that comes out.

And I'm thinking if it's worth the hassle exchanging my Cinema Display with a Thunderbolt Display. They're worth the same approximately, so wouldn't cost me anything I guess. Only downside: It will be used, and in that matter, I "know" mine already, how it behaves, how it sounds, etc. …
After as many years since these displays were new, even 2 Thunderbolt displays or 2 Cinema displays are not going to have the exact same color. The panels in the 2 models are the same; if you don't have a use for the extra ethernet port, there is no value at all in changing from the Cinema Display to the Thunderbolt model.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I just got one of the Apple LED Cinema Displays, the 24" model, and really like it a lot. So far I've tried it with various MacBook Pro laptops but also want to see how it looks with my 2013 Mac Pro. Do a lot of people use these older models with the M1 machines with an adapter? If so, how well do they work?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I just got one of the Apple LED Cinema Displays, the 24" model, and really like it a lot. So far I've tried it with various MacBook Pro laptops but also want to see how it looks with my 2013 Mac Pro. Do a lot of people use these older models with the M1 machines with an adapter? If so, how well do they work?
Using Apple's TB3-TB2 adapter works like a charm - my 27" TB LED works perfect with the M1 Studio Mac.

I also use the 24" LED Cinema display but with a 2015 MBP.

Love these "ancient" displays that seem to work forever with great ppi quality.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Using Apple's TB3-TB2 adapter works like a charm - my 27" TB LED works perfect with the M1 Studio Mac.

I also use the 24" LED Cinema display but with a 2015 MBP.

Love these "ancient" displays that seem to work forever with great ppi quality.
Good info.

I have 3 of the 24” displays so I might try the adaptor you mention to use them with newer Macs.

Thanks!

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display at work and a 27" LED Cinema Display at home and use both with M1 Macs. I cannot spot any differences in terms of visuals and audio, they both look great for 1440p displays and have good speakers for a display. The main differences are the ports on the back and that the Thunderbolt Display has a 720p camera vs the 480p camera on the older model. At work I like that the TB display has a built-in ethernet port, but at home I just use the port on my Mac mini. If you are happy with it and don't explicitly need one of the features on the newer model then I'd just keep it. I'm very happy with both of mine.

Reactions: 4sallypat

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display at work and a 27" LED Cinema Display at home and use both with M1 Macs. I cannot spot any differences in terms of visuals and audio, they both look great for 1440p displays and have good speakers for a display. The main differences are the ports on the back and that the Thunderbolt Display has a 720p camera vs the 480p camera on the older model. At work I like that the TB display has a built-in ethernet port, but at home I just use the port on my Mac mini. If you are happy with it and don't explicitly need one of the features on the newer model then I'd just keep it. I'm very happy with both of mine.
That's real good info, thanks for posting it! It's nice to know that you aren't really "missing out" on anything if you already have the Display Port Display vs the Thunderbolt Display and are happy with the quality.

Thanks again!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.