Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funk_gen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Australia
Hi all.

I'm newbie here in this forum and I have a question.
I am thinking of GPU upgrading for my mac pro 5.1 mid 2012 to do some hobby video editing with Nvidia product as they have CUDA. I have been searching for many threads but still got no clue yet. If you experts are able to help me, I will be appreciated so much.

I use most adobe premiere products as well as Final cut.
I play Blizzard games mostly.
I don't use windows OS

My questions are :

1) CUDA definitely has some advantage but I still cannot get how good and fast on OSX Adobe programs compare to AMD GPUs. Can somebody give me a shot?

2) gtx 680 is hassless solution. According to some threads, Is performance gap between 980 and 680 big in OSX to pay almost double amount?

3) What do you think is most recommended GPU for mac pro to suit my condition?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Well I just upgraded my 680 to a 980ti. I edit and grade 4k+ so my 680 wasn't cutting it. Might be enough depending on what you do! Mine will be up for sale! ahem! ;)

Funk_gen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Australia
Well I just upgraded my 680 to a 980ti. I edit and grade 4k+ so my 680 wasn't cutting it. Might be enough depending on what you do! Mine will be up for sale! ahem! ;)

Thank you!
I don't deal with high resolutions. I will stick to 980 then :)

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
what version of premiere do you use? adobe has been dumping CUDA so unless you do a few things it will not effect you.
now if your looking at working in 4K VRAM becomes a thing, if it's a hobby it might just not be needed for you.
there have been report's of problems with post gtx 770 cards with openCL in some adobe apps.

pugetsystems has some relay good info on cpu and gpu use in adobe apps, look at this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-162/#results

notice the falling returns,

ps what GPU do you have now and what gain do you want ?

if you did get the 980 id like to know if you notice any changes.

ps one app you will see use the GPU a lot is davinci resolve, it's one of the few that relay likes a gpu

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
280x pros :
- more apple friendly, working OOB (if properly flashed)
280x cons:
no CUDA for app which need CUDA stuff

- - - - - -

GTX980 pros:
- power efficient, can handle dual 4K monitor if needed in future
GTX980 cons:
- must waiting for latest webdriver each OS update

- - - - - -

GTX 680 pros :
OOB, no required anything, just plug and play, working with standard nvidia apple driver
GTX 680 cons :
quite old, driving second 4K display will bring down the second monitor into 30Hz

Reactions: Synchro3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.