Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013

No wonder my system has been running so bad the last few months.
How do I get rid of most of this?
I don't run Time machine and I've already cleared my Adobe media cache.
I really don't know what else this could be? Plex server stuff? I have no idea.

I ran the trial copy of CleanMyMac X and that only found 100GBs, but pretty much all of that was my downloads folder, which I want to keep. That's accounted for by my documents. The trial version only cleared up 500MBs of other stuff. It didn't seem to indicate that it found anything else in my system folder worth cleaning. So I don't want to spend $30 on that.

I also tried and app called Onyx, I think that might have cleaned up a little bit, but not much. Right now my system is saying 283.43GB of System files.

How do I get rid of the rest?

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
So I figured it out. I downloaded an app called Disk Inventory X and it let me see everything on all my drives by file size. I figured out it was in fact my Plex folder in Application Support. Apparently I had many older database backups in there that were eating up gigabytes and gigabytes of storage. Basically all duplicates of each other. So I just deleted them all. Cleared up over 200GBs of space and Plex runs a lot faster now too.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.