Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
2D15 firmware totally break my AirPods Pro with deteriorated cracking sound on my right ear.

There's a cracking or clicking sound on my right AirPod when I walk heavily or walk down a stair or stretch my head to the opposite direction, regardless which mode I use.
It has been a problem for me since Day 1.

I had it replaced at Apple Store once, and the new one was a lot better, even tho the crack is still randomly there at the beginning of each use, but disappears later.

But this new 2D15 firmware, man, I am, speechless. Right after the update, the cracking, gosh, it's unbearable and does not disappear after some minutes usage. I can even hear my blood pumping causing a minor noise after a sprint for something. As always, for me, the problem is only on the right one, not the left.

Anyone facing the same situation?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
2D15 firmware totally break my AirPods Pro with deteriorated cracking sound on my right ear.

There's a cracking or clicking sound on my right AirPod when I walk heavily or walk down a stair or stretch my head to the opposite direction, regardless which mode I use.
It has been a problem for me since Day 1.

I had it replaced at Apple Store once, and the new one was a lot better, even tho the crack is still randomly there at the beginning of each use, but disappears later.

But this new 2D15 firmware, man, I am, speechless. Right after the update, the cracking, gosh, it's unbearable and does not disappear after some minutes usage. I can even hear my blood pumping causing a minor noise after a sprint for something. As always, for me, the problem is only on the right one, not the left.

Anyone facing the same situation?
It's defect in the Airpods, not the firmware, unfortunately: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-pro-rattlegate.2233658/

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
It's defect in the Airpods, not the firmware, unfortunately: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-pro-rattlegate.2233658/
Thank you. Yeah, I do think it is a design defact. Actually back in January when I replaced the right AirPod Pro at Apple Store, the genius somehow admitted it, too.

However, I also believe the 2D15 firmware made mine worse. And I think Apple is trying their best to tune it at software level to prevent the '-gate' to be a real public issue. But I doubt it can work.

I don't know how it will go. I will initiate another replace service. If Apple still cannot resolve the issue at hardware level before my warranty ends. Luckily, I can request a full refund according to my local law, and wait for gen 2.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you. Yeah, I do think it is a design defact. Actually back in January when I replaced the right AirPod Pro at Apple Store, the genius somehow admitted it, too.

However, I also believe the 2D15 firmware made mine worse. And I think Apple is trying their best to tune it at software level to prevent the '-gate' to be a real public issue. But I doubt it can work.

I don't know how it will go. I will initiate another replace service. If Apple still cannot resolve the issue at hardware level before my warranty ends. Luckily, I can request a full refund according to my local law.
One of my Airpods developed the crackling sounds the day before the latest firmware update happened. The crackling was just as you describe, and the firmware update didn't change it. I got that one replaced but have used Fun-tak as described in that thread to clean the grilles of the other AirPod so I hope it doesn't develop the problem.

Reactions: JamestheCharming

mineralwalker

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Utah
Have you considered the firmware better utilizes hardware to work how it should’ve, and if your pair had defective hardware somewhere it maybe just magnifies it? Like trying to have a heavier person jump on a breaking trampoline. Just “thinking” out loud :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.